Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

8 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I wouldn't judge Felix based on 4 months at Chelsea, for the following reasons...

• The club was/is in an absolute mess.
  • He was being managed by an unqualified manager in Lampard.
  • Was used in a very unsettled line-up, with lots of new players trying to adjust at the same time.
  • First experience in English football - we all know it takes time to settle in and adjust to the PL.

I'm in the camp with who believe Unai would get the best out of him.

I agree he would most likely improve our team. However, when considering what Atletico Madrid payed for him, they would never accept a bid that reflects his current value.

I would think his current value is around £25-£30 million, that mean AM would lose about £90 million by selling him to us. Never going to happen.

At best we could get him on loan for a season, but if we improve him back to earlier potential, we don’t benefit from it.

2 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

I agree he would most likely improve our team. However, when considering what Atletico Madrid payed for him, they would never accept a bid that reflects his current value.

I would think his current value is around £25-£30 million, that mean AM would lose about £90 million by selling him to us. Never going to happen.

At best we could get him on loan for a season, but if we improve him back to earlier potential, we don’t benefit from it.

His currently fee would be at least 50m they wouldn’t sell him otherwise.

it isn’t about what a club will pay it’s about his FFP book value and what the selling club wants.

5 minutes ago, paul514 said:

No way, we can’t pay the fee and wages required. Totally out of our league 

The problem for AM is they overpaid for a player who has potential, that doesn’t suit their playing style and who the manager doesn’t want. Reports are they have offered to PSG who said no earlier in the week and Newcastle. They are trying to unload him, whether as a transfer or a free, what happens after all the big CL clubs say no?

AM may have to be more realistic, or make a huge loss on a free in a few years.Not saying it will be us, but we know Emery is a fan.

13 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

The problem for AM is they overpaid for a player who has potential, that doesn’t suit their playing style and who the manager doesn’t want. Reports are they have offered to PSG who said no earlier in the week and Newcastle. They are trying to unload him, whether as a transfer or a free, what happens after all the big CL clubs say no?

AM may have to be more realistic, or make a huge loss on a free in a few years.Not saying it will be us, but we know Emery is a fan.

AM signed Felix for 113m i think, on a 7 year contract.

3 years left on his contract, although weirdly Transfermarkt says his contract expires in 2027, but a 7 year contract from the summer of 2019 is 2026, so not sure....will go with 2026 expiry.

So to break even in FFP terms they would need to sell him for 48.5m (obviously thats super basic calculations and the facts may be more nuanced/different).

"IF" Emery could get a tune out of him, he would 100% be worth 50m, but i also probably wouldnt want to be paying any more than that tbh.

Edited by MaVilla

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

3 years left on his contract, although weirdly Transfermarkt says his contract expires in 2027, but a 7 year contract from the summer of 2019 is 2026, so not sure....will go with 2026 expiry.

So to break even in FFP terms they would need to sell him for 48.5m (obviously thats super basic calculations and the facts may be more nuanced/different).

IF Emery could get a tune out of him, he would 100% be worth 50m, but i also probably wouldnt want to be paying any more than that tbh.

He extended his contract by 1 year before he signed on Loan at Chelsea. I assume it was to spread his remaining amortisation over an extra year. 

So he has a book value depreciating by 14m euro per year so that's £12m

So I suspect a season long loan fee would be in that ball park and his wages to be covered too. Which are another £12m or so a year

Edited by CVByrne

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He extended his contract by 1 year before he signed on Loan at Chelsea. I assume it was to spread his remaining amortisation over an extra year. 

So he has a book value depreciating by 14m euro per year so that's £12m

So I suspect a season long loan fee would be in that ball park and his wages to be covered too. Which are another £12m or so a year

ah ok thats makes sense why its 2027 then.

weird tho, they want rid of him, but extend his contract to try and maintain value, but no-one wants him, weird.

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

How so? When Grealish didn't play teams gave us a free left side and let him have the ball. Would be same if we signed Wan Bissaka, teams usually allow United space when he has the ball

Do teams usually focus attacks down United right side when win bissaka plays? That’s more important 

36 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

"IF" Emery could get a tune out of him, he would 100% be worth 50m, but i also probably wouldnt want to be paying any more than that tbh.

That’s the conclusion I come to as well, but AM have stated consistently they want their money back. Time will tell whether they are willing to cut their losses.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Cost for a single season knowing if he does well he moves on to another club. We'd be paying in the £20-25m for one season wages+loan fee

But if a good player will improve for one season, helping us to champions league or a trophy what’s it matter? Arsenal had Odegarde on loan for a while, if a good player is available we should get them, irrelevant of whether a loan or permanent 

7 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

That’s the conclusion I come to as well, but AM have stated consistently they want their money back. Time will tell whether they are willing to cut their losses.

ye, i have seen an 80-90m fee quoted in the rags, i dont see anyone paying that in a month of sundays, unless someone like newcastle or another sportwash club wants to throw their cash around.

would pay 50m, but no way 80-90m.

• Like 1

Is Benjamin Pavard realistic or will he just end up at another CL club? You'd think that would be Emery's wet dream of an RB given he won a World cup in that position and was more of a CB for Stuttgart and at times Bayern.

They want to move him on now. Mane also not worked out and will likely be sold. Very unlikely but again that would be ridiculous fit for what we need in final third.

7 hours ago, Indigo said:

Wan-Bissaka is a good player on the ball, for me. He's a good dribbler and a tidy passer, particularly in his own half playing through being pressed. The criticism he gets is just that for a full back at a top side he has minimal end product in the attacking third of the pitch and things would often break down with him putting in ineffective crosses or just taking the safer option etc. I think with the way tactics have started to evolve now with one - sometimes both - full back(s) being more reserved you'll see him shine a bit more as he did at times this season as it suits his game.

Good description of him. No problem at all with him being RB if we've got Moreno on the other side. Where it might fall down is if it's Digne instead as then the balance isn't quite right.

I suspect though he'll end up at West Ham.

15 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

But if a good player will improve for one season, helping us to champions league or a trophy what’s it matter? Arsenal had Odegarde on loan for a while, if a good player is available we should get them, irrelevant of whether a loan or permanent 

Odegard would join Arsenal and the price was always going to be doable for them. Felix would go elsewhere if he did well for us rather than sign for us. That's more the issue.

It's just too much money given how much Atletico spent on him the finances don't work

• Like 1

It's going to be a long summer...

I wonder how many players will turn us down before we land one, and the one we do land will he be second, third or fourth choice? I hope Emery has a long list.

It's not defeatist, just realistic as we know CL teams such as Newcastle will be more favourable with potential signings.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Odegard would join Arsenal and the price was always going to be doable for them. Felix would go elsewhere if he did well for us rather than sign for us. That's more the issue.

It's just too much money given how much Atletico spent on him the finances don't work

The club thought it was viable in January, I think they’d know the financial risk but are willing to take it 

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

The club thought it was viable in January, I think they’d know the financial risk but are willing to take it 

January is a tough market and a short term loan if often the best you can get and a good solution to help plug a gap. We had a big attacking gap and Watkins risk. 

We've a full summer now to sign a longer term option