Pre-match thread

GlobalVillan

6 hours ago, dublinvilla2014 said:

Would you rather us camped on edge of our own box trying to counter going be mistakes a long the way tilm he gets it right but signs are there . Probably thought the same playing Liverpool we actually gave them a game unlucky in the end not to get something 

Id rather neither to be honest. You go on like those are the only two options we have? 

• Like 1

I don't think we'll play the same way we did against Liverpool. The high line was right for that game because you have to shorten the field and take risks in order to get at a team whose weakness is defence - it worked tactically because we made the chances that might have gotten us something from a game against a very good side.

Spurs strength is defence - they pack players in and then break on you in a way that's very Italian, so I suspect we'll take a different approach - we've already shown that we're going to be flexible in the way we play against different sides, while retaining the same shape. 

I'm looking forward to this one.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think we'll play the same way we did against Liverpool. The high line was right for that game because you have to shorten the field and take risks in order to get at a team whose weakness is defence - it worked tactically because we made the chances that might have gotten us something from a game against a very good side.

Spurs strength is defence - they pack players in and then break on you in a way that's very Italian, so I suspect we'll take a different approach - we've already shown that we're going to be flexible in the way we play against different sides, while retaining the same shape. 

After the game I felt Klopp had won the tactical battle because it was a very Klopp, heavy metal, we’ll score more than you type of game. However maybe that was Emery’s plan as you say. Take them on at their own game, on another day it could well have worked. 

As you say Spurs game will be very different and very interesting. 

Feels odd to have a Villa manager like this. Will take some getting used to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I actually disgaree spurs defence is where their problems lie. They have looked very suspect at the back recently.

I think this is actually going to be a very tough game

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I just hope, we don't offer acres of space and time on the ball, for their 2 (villa killers), or 3 with Kulusevski.

We simply can't just let them play, if we do, its curtains.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I hope not, same as against Brighton, will do for me.

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Emery and Conte are very similar managers, as far as I've seen, we've also tried the break away same as Conte does with Spurs.

I probably think the same, we'll take a different approach into this game. Emery will have us drilled in the Spanish way. Could we start Coutinho maybe? I would like to see him start for once.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I actually disgaree spurs defence is where their problems lie. They have looked very suspect at the back recently.

They've not performed particularly well, you're right, but the philosophy is three centre backs, wing backs and two holding midfielders - it's a seven man defensive set up that hits long balls for Son and tries to win set pieces. How well we're able to break them down will I think be the key.

43 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They've not performed particularly well, you're right, but the philosophy is three centre backs, wing backs and two holding midfielders - it's a seven man defensive set up that hits long balls for Son and tries to win set pieces. How well we're able to break them down will I think be the key.

This is why it wouldnt suprise me if ings plays in a front two as can see ollie getting isolated.

Bailey and buendia will have to support ollie greately going forward. Its going to be a tough game. Id take a point now if offered

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This is why it wouldnt suprise me if ings plays in a front two as can see ollie getting isolated.

Bailey and buendia will have to support ollie greately going forward. Its going to be a tough game. Id take a point now if offered

I think we'll stick with Bailey and Watkins up front - although it might be a game where Ing's nous is worth more than Bailey's pace.

I'm not sure when Ramsey is back, but it'll be interesting to see if it's McGinn or Buendia that make way if he's picked.

10 hours ago, TRO said:

I just hope, we don't offer acres of space and time on the ball, for their 2 (villa killers), or 3 with Kulusevski.

We simply can't just let them play, if we do, its curtains.

They're very physical in central midfield aswell. Can see Luiz getting bounced off Hojiberg and Bentancur if he passes his late fitness test. 

Personally I'd bring Dendoncker in for this one so we can mix it with them a bit more.

• Like 1