Villa v Chelsea (Abu Dhabi) Sunday, December 11 (ko 2.10pm GMT)

Kingman

Centre mid seems to be the strength of our team atm and, barring a couple of errors, Raikhy has acquitted himself well. Watkins and Bailey have been 2 on 2 with the opposition defenders a few times and we have struggled to get them the ball.

Edited by I Make Pies
  • Like 1

You can see what Emery is trying to set up here...  We have several very good pieces for his style but some players frankly just aren't going to be good enough to fill the roles they need to play.  For example, Watkins has elite work rate and fitness but his footballing IQ and touch let him down more often than not.  Will be interesting to see who we target in January to bring in.  

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

You can see what Emery is trying to set up here...  We have several very good pieces for his style but some players frankly just aren't going to be good enough to fill the roles they need to play.  For example, Watkins has elite work rate and fitness but his footballing IQ and touch let him down more often than not.  Will be interesting to see who we target in January to bring in.  

Disagree with his IQ - it's good and he often makes the right the decision.

• Confused 1

You can see the style of play and the limitations of some of our players trying to play that way in equal measure .

We need a new backup keeper for sure. Olsen isnt able to play this way. Constantly takes the extra touch which means the press works for the opposition 

I think that Carlos if he comes back the same will be great in the system. Whether we need another ballplaying defender is up for discussion. 

We are 2/3rds of the way there in midfield. Those 2 will be a constant if fit Dougie and Boobs. 

Jacob will also be brilliant in the system but i wonder if one more technically rather than physically gifted midfielders would really help us. 

Up front i would be fine for the moment as i think the money would be better spent in mid and defence. 

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

You can see the style of play and the limitations of some of our players trying to play that way in equal measure .

We need a new backup keeper for sure. Olsen isnt able to play this way. Constantly takes the extra touch which means the press works for the opposition 

I think that Carlos if he comes back the same will be great in the system. Whether we need another ballplaying defender is up for discussion. 

We are 2/3rds of the way there in midfield. Those 2 will be a constant if fit Dougie and Boobs. 

Jacob will also be brilliant in the system but i wonder if one more technically rather than physically gifted midfielders would really help us. 

Up front i would be fine for the moment as i think the money would be better spent in mid and defence. 

I think up front is where we need some money spent as much, if not more, than other areas

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

giphy.gif

It's his execution that lets him down the most IMO. He makes loads of good/the right runs and gets into the positions he needs to. There have been some times where maybe he should pass instead of shooting, but as a striker, that is not exactly a trait unique to him. 

Bailey still seems to be through the middle.

So we have four at the back, Watkins and Bailey up front, Kamara and Luiz holding.

McGinn looks to be in the middle of the park, perhaps a little bit more withdrawn. 

It's sort of 4-2-1-2 and a right winger.

• Like 1

Â