Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to watch this 5 years later.

Gary Neville is spot on here whereas Carragher is wrong.

Reason why it didn't work out at Arsenal is because of egos and players not buying into his philosophy.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Reason why it didn't work out at Arsenal is because of egos and players not buying into his philosophy.

Carragher really gets on my nerves generally tbh. He's such a tryhard.

• Like 1

We have a manager that is that good no player will leave us and then improve. This is the true meaning of a project that is occurring before our eyes.

Oh yeah. And he wouldnt just bench Kalvin Phillips and say he cannot see him working in his project. He would turn him into a major asset. 

Edited by MWARLEY2

On 07/12/2023 at 01:47, stewiek2 said:

Unai Emery. Great man, great manager. 81 points in 40 games. I could have done it alot quicker, I think. Maybe 37, 38 games.

I'm still LOLing at this 😂 Just perfect in his voice.

• Haha 2

What he has now is a line in the sand. He can say to his players that Wednesday is a performance to strive for again and again. That they can go toe to toe with the best if they play at their best. As someone said today that was not Aston Villas best performance of the season, it was the Premier League performance of the season. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Pinebro said:

This is amazing - thanks for posting. He just described exactly what we've been through.

13 hours ago, Pinebro said:

The only part of what he said that I don't agree with is how top managers don't need a plan b. He's right about them making plan a better, but there should always be a plan b and Unai has proven the worth of that here.

Incidentally, I respect him for acknowledging his own failures as a manager. It gives him a unique perspective on how hard the job actually is, and how good the best ones really are.

One of Emery's biggest achievements with Villarreal so far this season is the versatility he has instilled in his players, which has given them confidence against any opponent.

"One of our main strengths is to be able to execute what the manager wants in an almost perfect way and play in a different way depending on the opponent," Danjuma said. "[Emery] is such an elite tactical coach to have. If you execute his game plan, you have a great chance of winning regardless of who the opponent is. We have so much in our locker. We can sit back and play on the counter. We can play with the ball and create. We can do everything."

Arnaut Danjuma interview: Villarreal star talks Champions League, working for Unai Emery and facing Liverpool - ESPN

We can beat anyone and the players who play for him believe it and know it because they have lived it and experienced it. 

• Like 1

I think the other phenomenon of this man is, he makes everyone associated with him better, not just players.....his drive and focus, is contagious.

He has meticulously chosen his backroom staff, and some senior figures, and in effect, raised their reputations....He is King Midas to any would be recruit to Aston Villa, in any capacity.

He has galvanised the club beyond belief.....I'll bet the catering staff, lay the tables with vigour.

If ever there was or is going to be a "Mr Aston Villa"........Its him.

• Like 2

If we do keep progressing under him and are every year in the battle for the top 5 and CL places. Only City are big enough to poach him as he needs a club with the right structures to succeed and only really City, Arsenal and Liverpool have that. He can just build his legend here if we can facilitate that for him and the players.

What player wouldn't want to be coached by Emery?

Edited by CVByrne

1 hour ago, Greenfly said:

The only part of what he said that I don't agree with is how top managers don't need a plan b. He's right about them making plan a better, but there should always be a plan b and Unai has proven the worth of that here.

Incidentally, I respect him for acknowledging his own failures as a manager. It gives him a unique perspective on how hard the job actually is, and how good the best ones really are.

Interesting....I think Gary is right.

but the other observation is when they talk about change.....football has always evolved season after season, since inception.

The changes might be subtle, but  the game is constantly changing, even when some principles/ elements are almost constant...which is a bit paradoxical in itself.

18 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We need to match his ambition now off the pitch. We need to grow the revenue, improve VP, make the smart transfer decisions. 

The one thing for sure, our owners are not just wealthy, but savvy too.

They know, when they have a jewel in the crown.....and they will be polishing it enough, to ensure it sparkles.

No good, having a Ferrari, with no fuel in it.....they will be well aware of that.

Its interesting the talk about ego's, and the danger of them. I think Unai had them at PSG and Arsenal, and I am sure he now avoids them like the plague.

Ron Saunders never had ego's in his dressing room, is history repeating itself.

Unai is the main man at Villa, and its best, it stays that way....No primma Donnas, just players willing to listen and learn, to succeed together.

He has developed all these players in to his way of thinking, its his philosophy, sure he is grateful for the quality of clay on the wheel( he has made that clear, such is his humility).....but its his hands that are shaping the pot.

our club, has been perfect for him, and I can see a dynasty emerging for the future.

• Like 1

Â