Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/11/2023 at 09:58, tomsky_11 said:

If Emery's 38 games to date had been contained in one season, it would be the 6th most successful when compared to our previous 109 top flight seasons in terms of ppg, when equalising all seasons to 3 points for a win. If we can maintain out current run rate this season so far, it would rank 3rd, only behind the back-to-back titles of 1896/97 and 1895/96.

We've had 7 previous top flight seasons at 2ppg or more (when equalised to 3 point wins):

1. 1896/97 - 2.27 (30 games, finished 1st)

2. 1895/96 - 2.17 (30 games, finished 1st)

3. 1899/1900 - 2.12 (34 games, finished 1st)

4. 1893/94 - 2.10 (30 games, finished 1st)

5. 1980/81 - 2.05 (42 games, finished 1st)

=6. 1930/31 - 2.00 (42 games, finished 2nd)

=6. 1909/10 - 2.00 (38 games, finished 1st)

who done that for you?...........

The equalizer.jpg

13 hours ago, Mantis said:

Yeah this was a good article. Basically, we're building the club around him so he doesn't get bogged down in the off-field stuff.

Rather build the club around the manager who pulls all the strings and can orchestrate lots of players into his way of thinking than build it around one player who can leave at the drop of a hat and destabilise us for the next year

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Another win while not expending much energy.  Its a tactic from him it feels. Manage the workload of players. Get as many of the fringe players on the park while still winning. Winning while not playing at full intensity is a skillset. Might be frustrating at times but he has been doing weekends and midweek games for 16 seasons now. He knows what is needed.  Keeps the buy in from as many players as possible. The train keeps rollin on.... choo choo

Agree with this, does feel like there is some management of energy during these games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'm still waiting on that second season drop off that Arsenal fans warned us about.  Anybody any idea when it's due to happen?

If we just knew what season we were supposed to look out for!

They're scared in the main I reckon. Scared we have any major success under Unai as it will prove how shallow and entitled they are as a fanbase* and how petulantly they acted towards a genius and a gentleman. It'll be a bad look for them. I'm sure they have their excuses lined up already: right man, wrong time. Does well at second-tier clubs blah blah. In fact, we're already hearing these being trotted out.

*not all of them, obvs 

I read somewhere, where they said he is not an " arm around the Shoulder " type manager....and he hasn't spoken to Hause in 12 months....I don't know the full story there, so can't comment, suffice to say I believe, UE will handle it well.

I don't know whether he is or he isn't, and arm around the shoulder manager, but if he isn't, it doesn't bother me.

Some of the most successful managers wasn't.....Ron Saunders wasn't....He was hard nosed and hard to please.

Unai is not there to win a popularity parade amongst the players, he is there to drive them to success...Running with the pack, is not a good thing, it can harbour familiarity, and that can breed contempt....I think Unai is well aware of that.

I have full confidence, that Unai knows when to praise and when to give rollockings.....He doesn't suffer fools gladly, and it shows.

I presume the comments towards him, was complimentary, because thats how I took it.

I like a manager to be a tad aloof, and protective/ defensive of his designation.

• Like 2

On 01/12/2023 at 14:14, Stevo71 said:

If we just knew what season we were supposed to look out for!

They're scared in the main I reckon. Scared we have any major success under Unai as it will prove how shallow and entitled they are as a fanbase* and how petulantly they acted towards a genius and a gentleman. It'll be a bad look for them. I'm sure they have their excuses lined up already: right man, wrong time. Does well at second-tier clubs blah blah. In fact, we're already hearing these being trotted out.

*not all of them, obvs 

Right man, wrong club.

.....as they say " every cloud has a silver lining" 

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Although a couple of the recent performances have been sub-par we've still been in amazing form lately. Since we lost to Everton in the Carabao Cup, we've played 12, won 9 drawn 2 and lost 1 in all comps. Pretty impressive given that we've had the European schedule to contend with. Each time so far this season that we've underperformed we've followed it up with an emphatic win. So let's hope for a great performance on Wednesday!

• Like 1

My own opinion is that he sees these City and Arsenal games as a marker. I think for a long time, Villa managers have approached this game with a fearful mindset - but Unai will surely want to "prove" himself against these two teams.

Â