Unai Emery

PeterSw

Watching the game today and last week against Wet Spam the Villa under Unai Emery are so dominant and I have also started to wonder is he the best manager of the modern era. I grew up in the Ron Atkinson era which was pretty exciting but this is incredible and the statistics so far are so encouraging.

It is certainly possible for Villa to be still top five or four around January and hopefully push on even more with an astute signing or two.

I'm hoping the style Villa are playing will continue in that it is important to manage the games, conserve energy for future matches and playing within ourselves.

There will be some tough patches perhaps and a few bumps along the road but as Emery says the supporters are important and the energy at Villa Park is part of this process too.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Watching the game today and last week against Wet Spam the Villa under Unai Emery are so dominant and I have also started to wonder is he the best manager of the modern era. I grew up in the Ron Atkinson era which was pretty exciting but this is incredible and the statistics so far are so encouraging.

It is certainly possible for Villa to be still top five or four around January and hopefully push on even more with an astute signing or two.

I'm hoping the style Villa are playing will continue in that it is important to manage the games, conserve energy for future matches and playing within ourselves.

There will be some tough patches perhaps and a few bumps along the road but as Emery says the supporters are important and the energy at Villa Park is part of this process too.

It's a fair question. How many other managers could come into the club under the circumstances he did and have us so strong so quickly?

At the minute the whole club are on the same page from the owners to Unai and the back room, to the players and the fans.

When that happens in any sport along with momentum, a will to win and constantly improve it's a great place to be and a hard ride to stop.

Like I said in the match thread enjoy the journey guys I think it will be a he'll of a ride.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

We aren't the finished article yet either plenty of improvement and he strives for it still plenty to come.

It's actually scary to think how much better we are going to get under Emery once him and Monchi have another few transfer windows under their belt.  Exciting times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah I’m of a similar thought but as I wasn’t alive then I don’t feel qualified to be too dismissive of winning stuff back then. 

My somewhat sarcastic George Ramsey comment is me trying to allude to the futility of comparing different eras. He won loads, but there’s no one alive who remembers it so it doesn’t count. 

And one day, let’s say 50 years from now, this era will be looked back upon as kinda quaint and not as good as what football will be in 50 years time. It’ll be “Unai Emery? Oh sure he was probably good for that time, very good even. But come on, they were still pissing about with VAR back then, it doesn’t compare to the modern game.”

Ultimately, we can have the debate, but it’s kinda pointless. 

A good point, but it'll be harder to ignore Unai's greatness when there's a solid gold statue of him outside the stadium, and all four stands are named after him.

On 27/10/2023 at 19:02, mjmooney said:

But with Unai, we're in totally new territory, in that, right now, we can't even imagine a better manager. Any replacement, whatever their CV, would feel like a downgrade. 

Could not agree with this more.  There is NO other manager in the world I would swap for Unai.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

So. 22 wins out of 35 premier league games to date overall . 63 % win rate.

Sixty three percent win rate over nearly a seasons worth of games.

Which means that he wins near as damn it 2 out of every 3 league games we play. 

And this season its a win rate of 70 percent. 

Joint top scorers in the league

Top scorers across league and cup. 

We even give the opposition a bit of joy by conceding a goal a game as its kind to do so. 

He spent £83 mill on Moreno Diaby Torres and Tielemans. 

But he plays boring football, they say.

Team gaining in familiarity and confidence every game, I honestly think Emery is as good a manager as anyone in this league. Having watched Man City on Sunday, I think we are quite similar but they have years of doing what they are doing, a bigger squad and better quality players for the most part, but we are up there. When he first arrived I thought we would put paid to his 2 point career average but we are actually ahead of that, he is astonishing, it feels a constant we can rely upon rather than just an anecdote.

The run to December will be very telling, MC, MU, Spurs and Arsenal. These will define our season. Improvement still happening and 4 key players to come back, two hopefully soon. We could literally finish anywhere this season.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It is a pity so many of us have this inferiority complex.

Man Utd have been in decline for a full decade and will do well to make top 7 this season. The club are falling apart  Villa are heading in the right direction with a shout of silverware and top 5 with stadium redevelopment imminent.

UE will want to complete the job here.

I do agree! I think he would wanna finish off what he's said. 

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

If (Big IF) Man United did come in for him surely he cant turn that job down?

I think he could. The club's a total mess off the pitch. I suppose they could offer him full control like he has here but he's smart enough to realise that it'd be a massively different environment.

• Like 1

Â