Unai Emery

PeterSw

4 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

The more I think about it the more i realise how amazing the job he has done here is. 

Not just the results but the transformation in the players, the confidence and the clear gameplan each time.

I am really looking forward to seeing what he can do after a bit of a break and time to mould the team into his own with a full pre-season and a summer transfer window.

Exactly - to change the style and tactics in mid-season (and when we were in a poor run of form) was really impressive.  He's now got some real time to sit down and work with the players to evolve our play.  Exciting times is a massive understatement.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, allani said:

Even if we had finished 12th I would have hoped that we stuck to the style of football Emery wants us to play.  It was important to find out which players could adjust to that style.  Personally, given how awful we were at passing the ball 5-10 metres under the previous regime I was worried that it would be too big a jump for many of our players.  Most have actually adjusted pretty well (most of the time).  At least we (and Emery) have a much better idea of who will / will not fit the system - rather than adopting any old style to survive the season and then reset over the summer.

Came across this video from 3 years ago. It's interesting and Neville is bang on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

First season in years where instead of feeling exhausted by the end, I’m feeling great and excited for it to start again. Cheers Unai ! ❤️

Same here. In fact, I didn’t want the season to end. However, it will be an exciting period over the summer. New badge being displayed everywhere from the training ground, Villa Park, merchandise etc. New kit and training gear being released etc. New players in and out with Men and Women’s teams. New fixtures, players returning to training and then pre-season games etc. Plenty to enjoy over the next six to eight weeks 👍

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

Same here. In fact, I didn’t want the season to end. However, it will be an exciting period over the summer. New badge being displayed everywhere from the training ground, Villa Park, merchandise etc. New kit and training gear being released etc. New players in and out with Men and Women’s teams. New fixtures, players returning to training and then pre-season games etc. Plenty to enjoy over the next six to eight weeks 👍

**** loving it! I went back and watched some of the stuff from the relegation season, from the season we almost went bust, and the play off final and it left me emotional and excited. 

This club ❤️

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

**** loving it! I went back and watched some of the stuff from the relegation season, from the season we almost went bust, and the play off final and it left me emotional and excited. 

This club ❤️

I went down a YouTube rabbit hole the other day of our time in the championship. 

I have such a soft spot for the likes of Elmo, Neil Taylor, Adomah, Kodjia etc...

It's utterly mad that just a few years later we have Unai Emery as manager and have finished 7th. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I went down a YouTube rabbit hole the other day of our time in the championship. 

I have such a soft spot for the likes of Elmo, Neil Taylor, Adomah, Kodjia etc...

It's utterly mad that just a few years later we have Unai Emery as manager and have finished 7th. 

Those days seem like 20 years ago

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Been doing the same and I’m WFH and doing a few more. The Villa on Tour channel is great as a way to relive the fans feelings of the championship years, Max is fantastic. 

watching us under Emery has just been different gravy.

Edited by Dodgyknees
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, av1 said:

It absolutely doesn’t make you look stupid at all mate.

I know you was fortunate enough to watch the Saunders era, but for fans of my generation (I’m 44) we’ve simply never experienced a truly elite manager, so there is nothing to compare it too. 

I wasn’t a fan of Gerrard so I absolutely expected things to improve under Emery, but I would be completely lying if I said that I expected this much improvement, with the same squad, so quickly.

You know what’s funny? Emery didn’t immediately come out with players yesterday for the lap of appreciation, and I said the guy that sits next to me ‘I hope to bloody god he comes out, he deserves to know exactly what we think of him’ And he joked back and said ‘he’s probably sat in his office watching the match back trying to work out what we could have done better’ 

It was a joke of course, but the bloke just lives and breathes football, and it shows. 

I said yesterday on here that I wouldn’t swap him for any manager in world football, not only did I mean it, I said the same to my son a few weeks ago, so it wasn’t just the euphoria of European qualification. 

Blokes a genius.

I endorse all what you say......He is not only building a team, he is building a club culture.

I had no idea, he was this talented. I knew he was known as a good manager, but not this good.

I got Gerrard all wrong, I took his leadership qualities as a benchmark to management, but I was wrong.....He was totally out of his depth.....However, I don't want to harp on that, as its gone, I made a mistake as did Purslow, and many more, but its not worth dwelling on.

Unai is that proverbial Knight in shining armour....come to rescue us.......we are blessed.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

First season in years where instead of feeling exhausted by the end, I’m feeling great and excited for it to start again. Cheers Unai ! ❤️

Not only that,but just think of the number of extra points we would have had if we had Unei from the start of the season

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Not only that,but just think of the number of extra points we would have had if we had Unei from the start of the season

Unai Emery table:

image.thumb.png.cb850a84c6691bc1d2fc5b47a5760e45.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzyBoy said:

Stellar performance by Emery to clean up Gerrard's mess and turn your season around. Elite manager. Villa and City away the only games Newcastle were never remotely in. Next season will be very interesting.

Congratulations on a great season for you.....I admire what has been done in footballing terms.

Just glad someone can break up the sneaky 6.

On 29/05/2023 at 22:59, viivvaa66 said:

I knew the players were better than what they was able to show under Gerrard, and rightly blamed the manager, But not even I could have predicted the level of improvement under Emery. I feel like calling it an improvement is the wrong word, it more like a complete transformation, playing wise each player is unrecognisable from what they were a few months ago.

There is a lot of talk about managers needs a pre-season, to get players to properly perform in the manager’s system. If that is true, how amazing will our players be next season. 

for some time, I thought we played like individuals and not as a team.....I looked on with envy as other teams, probably with lesser quality players than us, usurped us, with team play.

Unai, most certainly has us playing as a team and its not surprising individual performances have benefitted beyond belief.

All those years ago, we conquered Europe with Team play and a great winning mentality, that surprised Bayern and all their stars......I can see the foetus of that, all over again.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

This club ❤️

It’s part of our heart and soul from birth until becoming one of the HEITS 

• Thanks 1

so....

when is someone gonna do a youtube video of our season?

Detailing the Gerrard start, the depression of the fans and his ultimate failure.

The appointment of Emery, and the rise of Villa throughout the season to finally get us back to Europe against all the odds!!

Some depressing initial music, building towards rousing and emotional music as our success builds throughout the season.

Plenty of goals and sexy play please!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Â