Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

I am a little bit concerned about the quality of his spoken English. Maybe it's better when he's not got a camera in his face. Either way I hope he's taking lessons.

PS - I am aware he is multi-lingual and how impressive that is. But the fact is he's not a great English communicator, especially when compared to how eloquent he is in Spanish.

PPS - Jonathan Lieuw article on this from 2019

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/02/unai-emery-language-barrier-english-manager-premier-league

Edit - Poch's English is shite too so not sure what he's on about there

I think his English is fine , also if you noticed in the video with Alex Moreno yesterday few of the players were speaking Spanish with him. Multiple languages will be spoken on the training ground, I know he gets the order of words in his sentences  wrong but I can work it out and understand his message, maybe it’s because I speak Welsh, English and Spanish fluently . I know English is the most spoken language in the world but it’s a very strange language when it comes to pronunciation and order of words.

5 hours ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

I am a little bit concerned about the quality of his spoken English. Maybe it's better when he's not got a camera in his face. Either way I hope he's taking lessons.

PS - I am aware he is multi-lingual and how impressive that is. But the fact is he's not a great English communicator, especially when compared to how eloquent he is in Spanish.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/02/unai-emery-language-barrier-english-manager-premier-league

You were lucky to get an interview out of Ron Saunders, he was uncomfortable with the Media....and done his best to avoid them.....never faced ridicule for it, thankfully....any way UE is not as bad as Paul Lambert.

I know today, is different and there are contractual obligations, with the big media Giants......but if all we have to worry about, is that......I will be happy.

I seem to notice whenever, something good is happening to us, there is always somebody , somewhere, to pull it asunder.

Edited by TRO

My favourite lecturer at uni was Italian and spoke at about Emery's level of English. He was absolutely captivating and kept the room hanging on his every word.

My least favourite was a native English speaker who was boring as sin.

Guess which class I got better marks in. I doubt Emi is teaching anything quite as dry as these two were either.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

My sense of Humour is up there with the best....but this tedious, social media, knock at our managers accent....is dog Breath......its ****ing disrespectful and doesn't even resemble humour, just a desperate attempt from folk who are just bankrupt of any wit.

He is our manager, if we can't respect him....who can?....shut them down.

I hope Villa fans, shut this boring nonsense down, and refuse to click on it....its a slight on our club and what we stand for.

treat it with the contempt it deserves, and erase it where possible.....I find it abhorrent.

Rant Over.

This a 1000 times over

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Latest presser was a breath of fresh air, open and honest comments and a more in depth idea of what he wants.

His English is improving but that's not that important anyway, I'm more interested in the football and results

The thing that irks me....all those taking the ****......let them come on and speak Spanish.....now that might be funny.

They hide behind a key board, and post shite.....and promote themselves as comedians, to gain attention.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Not sure why we are quoting a 3 year old article when the manager is doing quite articulate 25 minute interviews in english. Furthermore, you haven't actually identified what you are concerned about with regard to Emerys english. Just reads like you wanted to bring it up.

• Like 4

Just watched the press conference. 

Anyone think that the journos give him a slightly harder time than Gerrard? They actually asked him some quite decent probing stuff as opposed to just trying to be matey.

Althought that French guy was getting nothing from Unai. Was clearly after a headline about Emi’s behaviour and almost got a history of Aston Villa instead.

• Like 1

I do like Emery, he is clearly a tactical genius, the way he talks about player profiles, ensuring varied player profiles within the team for different tactics etc.

This guy is gravy.

its also clear he is a systems manager, ie: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and all players work to the system, i can see him observing the players who cant or wont apply his systems as he wishes being ejected over the next 18 months, he just wont tolerate it, and its great!

Sawiris deserves a lot of credit for getting Emery in tbh.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 4

"We need to be good teammates" was one of his responses to "how are you going to change the mentality?".

It's very underrated, but very important it seems. I think it's one of the reasons Smith was so successful here, he really put an emphasis on this.

• Like 2

Just now, Keyblade said:

"We need to be good teammates" was one of his responses to "how are you going to change the mentality?".

It's very underrated, but very important it seems. I think it's one of the reasons Smith was so successful here, he really put an emphasis on this.

Smith lost five in a row and was fired in the end. Besides, we were very depend on one player during Smith's reign, I wouldn't call that being good teammates 🤣

Hopefully Emery's reign is a lot better than Smith's. But I do agree with him - that we need a team that fights for each other and believes in each other. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Just watched the press conference. 

Anyone think that the journos give him a slightly harder time than Gerrard? They actually asked him some quite decent probing stuff as opposed to just trying to be matey.

Althought that French guy was getting nothing from Unai. Was clearly after a headline about Emi’s behaviour and almost got a history of Aston Villa instead.

Would you be able to send over a link for the press conference please matey? I'm really interested in hearing what the boss has to say! Thank you.

Â