Unai Emery

PeterSw

31 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Has a mountain of work to do. We will struggle big time as per usual to break down teams with low block. Aimless crosses into the box all day in the second half today. Same as it has been for the last 2 full years.

This is still a weakness, but I think that we will improve. He's had only 5 matches and a World Cup break to instill things and seems to have been focusing on other things. Give it time.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, TomC said:

This is still a weakness, but I think that we will improve. He's had only 5 matches and a World Cup break to instill things and seems to have been focusing on other things. Give it time.

Oh for sure he'll know it's an area we need to work a lot on. The attacking play takes longest to coach into a side. Plus we'll get new attacking additions. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Watkins looks great when you're backs to the wall and need an out ball. But when it's a bit tighter and you're dominating possession, and need some quality, less so.

I thought that it was interesting that he put Ings on instead of Watkins. On other occasions, he's put in Ings beside him; I was expecting Ings to on for Bailey instead. I think that you hit the nail on the head; Unai realized that Watkins was not what we needed under the circumstances.

• Like 1

I've been impressed with how much Unai is tinkering with different combinations. Some of the subs that past two matches have seemed strange, but generally they have worked, and at least he's learning from them. Cash and Young together on our right did not work today but it did against Spurs. He will probably find some lesson from things like that.

It seems highly unlikely that we're going to end up in the relegation scrap; he's doing too well, and too many other teams are struggling. At the other end of the table, we're unlikely to qualify for Europe (unless we win the FA Cup). I think that Unai is going to feel free to experiment and learn this year given that the consequences will be few.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Remember Gerrard used to imply that he was giving the players too much information and they couldn't take it all in so he had to strip it back and go back to basics 😂. **** fraud.

He was sending Mings down to the local takeaway and asking him to order 20 things from the menu and Ty couldn't look him in the eye when he forgot his order

48 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Lost it I think with the team selection (which is always easier to say in retrospect).

Same side 3 times in 10 days and it looked like it when they came out. Flat (especially Ollie and Bailey pressing the back line) - and lost all the second balls in the first half.

Subs were okay but lack of width and lack of dribblers evidenced by giving the ball to Bailey every time for almost the last 20 minutes.

It's hard to break down a Wolves side once they get ahead (even this season) - so that's where it was lost.

Well since Cash and Emi started since the last 2 games and his Ok sub Ings got us a point

I don't understand. We werent great today but not a good argument

Gerrard took nine points from first four games just like Emery, but lost his fifth game, Emery has taken ten points from first five games so now officially made a better start than Gerrard.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Gerrard took nine points from first four games just like Emery, but lost his fifth game, Emery has taken ten points from first five games so now officially made a better start than Gerrard.

Also Emery had *much* harder fixtures. United home, Brighton away, Liverpool home, Spurs away and Wolves home is brutal.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, AV82 said:

After the shit we've had to endure this season that second half was a breath of (slightly stale) fresh air. We responded. We made changes. The game flipped on it's head and we could've easily won it. That's **** progress baby!

i agree, pre Emery Villa defo would have gone on to lose that game, i have no doubt of that.

Good learning experience for Emery in terms of the players, its the Jan window, we have 9 days before the next PL game so hopefully time to bring a couple in......(and get others like Ramsey fit).

tbh 3 wins (Brighton, Spurs, Manure), 1 draw (Wolves), 1 loss (Liverpool) in his first 5 PL games, is an excellent start, really excellent, we could easily have won 1, or even none of those if we still had Gerrard.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well since Cash and Emi started since the last 2 games and his Ok sub Ings got us a point

I don't understand. We werent great today but not a good argument

I think Unai himself would probably admit the starting XI today came out flat and leggy. 

His subs were on point and not idiotic like Bruce or Dean’s 4 striker approach but the die was cast in the opening 35 mins

Need to bear in mind that for the first time its virtually the whole squads the wholes squad first time working with an elite tactical manager…

Smith did us proud but was no tactician… Gerrard started well then quickly lost his way and found being out of his depth…

Emery is going to transform us and the way we play due to the players he can lure with the full & mighty support of NSWE behind him. 

Â