Unai Emery

PeterSw

Dude has been immense since he's been here; tons better than what's his face. I only see great things with him in charge.

And hey great to be back! Know that I have been off the forum for a long time(Dealing with some pretty severe personal issues) but thankfully those are behind me now and looking forward to getting involved here at VT again😀

• Like 4

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time over the last 40 years when we have to get a new manager, I have hoped we would get In a top manager, and to my dismay, bar 4 possibly 5 times, we have failed.

The only ones that could have been considered top managers were

Big Ron

Sir GT

O'neill 

Houllier

And for our position in championship

Dean Smith

We had some managers over perform in Brian Little and John Gregory but that's it.

For once we have managed to get one of the worlds top 10 managers, he is still young and he can spend money and have his own staff at the club.

Probably 15 years too late but better late than never.

We are experiencing what alot of other clubs have experienced for many years for the first time in a long time.

Long may it continue

Edited by brummybloke
Wank samsung Internet messing posts up yet again.

We are going to have to get used to being proven wrong under this manager than any other for many many years.

Look at what he did yesterday with Olsen. It achieved 2 things. Firstly there was continuity as it is obvious they worked on playing out from the back all week . And secondly it filled Olsen with confidence and has also given us the fans more confidence in him.

Now he knows he can trust him , got 3 points  and has his world cup winning goalkeeper getting some more rest and time to get up to speed with his training.  

I am loving the Sultan of Unai . A real manager . 

38 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Every time over the last 40 years when we have to get a new manager, I have hoped we would get In a top manager, and to my dismay, bar 4 possibly 5 times, we have failed.

The only ones that could have been considered top managers were

Big Ron

Sir GT

O'neill 

Houllier

And for our position in championship

Dean Smith

We had some managers over perform in Brian Little and John Gregory but that's it.

For once we have managed to get one of the worlds top 10 managers, he is still young and he can spend money and have his own staff at the club.

Probably 15 years too late but better late than never.

We are experiencing what alot of other clubs have experienced for many years for the first time in a long time.

Long may it continue

There is time’s when things are literally black and white. We’ve taken punts in the past and been caught up on the emotion.  (Gregory, Little, Smith ) connections playing or otherwise. When the adrenaline factor that they are riding as much as we are as fans when the honeymoon period is still there and then their true coaching ability comes to pass thereafter. We’ve gone and got a seriously well credentialed and elite coach. This is what happens when you don’t make emotional decisions. 

• Like 1

Ain’t it great seeing a manage come and start setting up plans and ideas that work well with the players we have. Already, villa are looking more solid and organised, and players who we gave peltters are looking way more useful. In particular Konsa and McGinn. Both their form has drastically increased. I love it 

• Like 2

As time is unfolding and we can glean from it, it seems he has a template of 4-4-2....and sets up and plays from it.

which can easily morph to 4-2-2-2 or 6-2-2 or 4-3-3

It seems he watches the dynamics of the game unfold and alters and tweaks accordingly.....we haven't seen that with past managers, just like for like personnel changes.

I thought the introduction of Cash to nullify Sessegnon, was top drawer.....This guy is truly a theoretician.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

As time is unfolding and we can glean from it, it seems he has a template of 4-4-2....and sets up and plays from it.

which can easily morph to 4-2-2-2 or 6-2-2 or 4-3-3

It seems he watches the dynamics of the game unfold and alters and tweaks accordingly.....we haven't seen that with past managers, just like for like personnel changes.

I thought the introduction of Cash to nullify Sessegnon, was top drawer.....This guy is truly a theoretician.

It was excellent. Cash is a confidence player and sometimes he can look quite nervy when he’s the last line of defence. 
Also, following Villa since 92. I never recall us getting beat by Liverpool and creating the amount of chances we did against them the other day. When they beat us they come hear and tickle our belly and it’s very easy for them and never much joy at Anfield. The players didn’t put the chances away from the system Emery came up with

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

It was excellent. Cash is a confidence player and sometimes he can look quite nervy when he’s the last line of defence. 
Also, following Villa since 92. I never recall us getting beat by Liverpool and creating the amount of chances we did against them the other day. When they beat us they come hear and tickle our belly and it’s very easy for them and never much joy at Anfield. The players didn’t put the chances away from the system Emery came up with

I remember when they beat us 4-2 at Villa Park and Merson missing loads as well as others. 

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Rather than go like for like, he shut up shop on spurs. Bringing Cash on in front of Young

I agree with your whole post but just thought this piece was an interesting nuance. I actually thought that the Cash substitution was great because it confused Spurs - they EXPECTED us to shut up shop when Cash came on, but he had a few minutes of enjoying attacking them when they weren’t expecting it and we could have had another goal. 

It’s more impressive that the change has happened so quickly. Let’s be honest, he might not have known much about some of our players when he walked in, and yet very quickly he’s sussed out who can do what and is getting performances out of them. 

ITs unrecognisable from anything I’ve seen down the Villa for years. I’m 43 and I don’t think we’ve had a manager in all that time so tactically astute. 

8 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I agree with your whole post but just thought this piece was an interesting nuance. I actually thought that the Cash substitution was great because it confused Spurs - they EXPECTED us to shut up shop when Cash came on, but he had a few minutes of enjoying attacking them when they weren’t expecting it and we could have had another goal. 

Not only did it confuse spurs but as we all know. Matty is probably better going forward than defending. However, taking off Bailey for Matty still gave us that wide outlet but with more defensive solidity. I've been saying for ages Cash could be deployed in front of the back 4 at times when we want to be solid defensively but have someone that can do 2 jobs. I had a smile when he made that sub tbh, because the first thing that came into my head was, smart cookie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Ain’t it great seeing a manage come and start setting up plans and ideas that work well with the players we have. Already, villa are looking more solid and organised, and players who we gave peltters are looking way more useful. In particular Konsa and McGinn. Both their form has drastically increased. I love it 

I don't want to be overly pedantic, but Kane Beat Konsa in the air and only a timely on the line header from Young saved us, from a goal.

I would sign a new centre back, to challenge.

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't want to be overly pedantic, but Kane Beat Konsa in the air and only a timely on the line header from Young saved us, from a goal.

tbf, Carlos will be back soon to challenge Konsa & Mings (hopefully Carlos is still the player he was before the injury).

I agree we would benefit from another DC though, so Carlos and A.N.Other can challenge Konsa & Mings for the CD pairing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

Jeeze, he been playing better overall and you slap him for one mistake. But thats not the point of my statement. The point was the effect on players like konsa for having a manager that knows how to plan ideas and coach then. I love that. That’s what I love. A manager who can manage and get the best of the players he already has. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Kane beats everyone in the air

And if he doesn’t the ref awards a foul anyway 🤣

Let’s just bin the’ Unai Emery’s claret and blue army’ and change it to ‘we love you Unai we do’

Different class 

21 hours ago, ender4 said:

He did say that but as a slightly longer sentence which means it’s slightly out of context when quoted with just those words.  Either way, yes he believed that Villa couldn’t compete with Chelsea and stated that just before we played them.

Thanks 

Â