Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 minute ago, daft said:

I think he seems like a good candidate on paper, but you are 100% right. We need to pace ourselves a bit. Hype is a seductive thing. Some outlet or youtuber creates a piece on someone, romanticizing or bigging up a person or thing ad that pice then sparks more pieces. 

It's all about the man, and there we can only hope the club does it best to nail down if he is a good fit. Our lad Ruben is now decidedly riding a massive hype wave. That's not to say he shouldn't be the man, but that we, again, need to pace ourselves. 

Completely agree

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think it’s more that the current manager market is a mess because of the World Cup. This season is now about survival. It’s a write off after a poor transfer window and some bad luck with injuries. 

We need to just get through it. Somehow try and rectify some of the mess we’ve created with the imbalance of the squad in the Summer and go from there. 

Someone like Dyche, on a 6 month deal might make sense. Also might not, depending on your opinion.

It makes ZERO sense 🤣

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Sporting are usually a toxic club to work for. They underachieve a lot for the fans expectations(*cough*) so him winning the title was huge

They lost a lot of talent as well he developed and not sure the replacements are as good

No doubting all that and the stuff I’ve read and watched yesterday about him look impressive. It’s such a small window/body of work though that it’s a massive risk, especially for us.  He may be the next great thing but I’m not convinced we are the ones that should be risking it given everything we have to lose.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

No thanks to spending 20m on him then. Last thing we need is another beale episode

I was just joking 🤣

Sure it won’t be a similar situation…

But the quote did give me a bit of the heebie jeebies 🤣

3 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Mods forgive me if I’m not allowed to post Reddit links, but some of the comments on this post about Amorim are interesting. 

I’ve seen a few claims he’s tactically stubborn, but most people rate him.

Way too many bizarrely obsessed Arsenal fans for my liking

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Does this heap more pressure on our CEO for hanging on to his dream guy for too long? I get the impression he was the lone voice in the board room. I accept that we may view Amorim as a big risk and an expensive one, but having not reacted quickly enough to get Potter does that make Amorim now more likely? Rather than view him as another young manager from a small league, Gerrard, they view him as a Potter type on the way up, who is worth the risk. I’d like to think that proper due diligence would be carried out this time, rather than just asking Purslow's opinion.

As for the fee, would we bat an eyelid if we were asked to pay that for a player who could potentially transform us? We paid that for Danny Ings and that hasn’t been a great signing, not yet anyway. Perhaps with a proper coach we may see more value from a lot of our players, which has rapidly evaporated over the last 11 months. Apparently Nas knows Amorim and he’s currently favourite for the job. I know how the market works and accept that someone like Poch would have lots of optimistic Villa fans sticking a couple of quid on, but Amorim is relatively unknown and so perhaps a bit of genuine ITK money has gone on him? He who dares Rodney, he who dares. 

Can we swap Ings for Amorim? 🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Win tonight and they are 3 points from Porto. What a regress 

1st season - won the league, lost 1 game
2nd season - came 2nd, lost 3 games
3rd season (current) - currently 5th, lost 3 of their first 9

Yeah, seems like they’re just getting better and better!

4 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Mods forgive me if I’m not allowed to post Reddit links, but some of the comments on this post about Amorim are interesting. 

I’ve seen a few claims he’s tactically stubborn, but most people rate him.

Pinch of salt and all, I've learned that from VT, but hearing from fans who watch these managers/players/teams every week is pretty insightful. It was only until recently that a lot of Prem fans thought McGinn was on top of his game. It was Villa fans online who had to let them know that he's been shite for months.

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Way too many bizarrely obsessed Arsenal fans for my liking

Honestly, even some of my own Arsenal supporting mates are weirdly obsessed with Villa for whatever reason lol. I just know that if Villa were sitting top of the league I wouldn’t give a toss about any other team. Well tbh I don’t give a toss about any other team in general lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No doubting all that and the stuff I’ve read and watched yesterday about him look impressive. It’s such a small window/body of work though that it’s a massive risk, especially for us.  He may be the next great thing but I’m not convinced we are the ones that should be risking it given everything we have to lose.

The issue is every manager appointment is a risk even if Klopp or Poch came in tomorrow is still a chance that our players wouldn't adapt to the tactics quick enough

If the board feel comfortable splashing 25 million on him then we will see how it goes.

• Like 1

I've been giving this some thought and of the names that are mentioned I think the best we could get it Emery. I would be very happy with that appointment. I think the owners could sell him the project as long as they guarantee suitable funds to match the ambition.

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I agree with much of what you’ve said and I don’t look at him as another Garde… first of all, it’s a completely different situation now and the club is in a much healthier state with better players and vastly better resources and finances compare to back then but Amorim is clearly a bright and talented prospect at the very least…

But… you have to admit that there is a significant element of risk here…

I’m open to being convinced… what else you got? 🤣

I certainly won’t be complaining IF he gets appointed and will be excited… initially at least 🤣

It’s a big job and task for him though… is he up to it? Working with and getting the best out of THESE players? And the pressures and added workload/stress of working in this league up against some of the toughest and strongest opponents and managers?

Can he adapt quickly enough?

Convince me 😁

🤣I agree there is a risk. Every appointment is a risk. Appointing a older, less motivated, less hungry, richer, caviar eating Pottchino on record wages would be a massive risk too
We've been so scared to take these risks for many years. To be great you have to take risks. 
We didn't take the risk on Potter last time out and its cost us big time. He's now at Chelsea.
We didn't take the risk to sign Julián Álvarez a few windows back. He's now at Man City.

Fans on Rival forums are saying Ruben Amorim can do much better than Aston Villa. Maybe they are right. We dont deserve good things 
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-rise-of-ruben-amorim.467364/page-6

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

1st season - won the league, lost 1 game
2nd season - came 2nd, lost 3 games
3rd season (current) - currently 5th, lost 3 of their first 9

Yeah, seems like they’re just getting better and better!

Haven’t they lost about £110m worth of players though this season? I’m not saying we should get him especially after that post above about his reliance on his assistant (where have we heard that before!) but it’s not as simple as you put it. 

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I was just joking 🤣

Sure it won’t be a similar situation…

But the quote did give me a bit of the heebie jeebies 🤣

Competent people have the ability and humility to surround themselves with people that equally, if not more competent than themselves. That is a good sign, and it speaks to him being humble and giving his team credit.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

The issue is every manager appointment is a risk even if Klopp or Poch came in tomorrow is still a chance that our players wouldn't adapt to the tactics quick enough

If the board feel comfortable splashing 25 million on him then we will see how it goes.

Apart from the £25m everything you said is what they were telling me about Gerrard last year and I was concerned.  I’m scared he’s Gerrard but with a sexy foreign name especially the 2nd in command being his brains comments.  

Every manager is a risk but some obviously are far more a gamble than others.

• Like 1