Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sounds like Lambert to me.

I'm convinced he wouldn't manage here, pressure from what he is used to is ten fold, ask Gerrard.

Edited by foreveryoung

Can't really fairly judge any manager after Lerner turned off the tap. Honestly the fact that Lambert kept us up that many years in a row is an accomplishment within itself. 

As for the new manager, Potter should have been the hire after Dean was sacked. It was obvious Brighton were on the up with a far slimmer budget than we are on. If Steven is going to get till the WC break then the season is already washed. I'd rather just let him have the year as long as he can keep us from relegation. Then we can give the new guy a full off-season to get acclimated. 

4 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Can't really fairly judge any manager after Lerner turned off the tap. Honestly the fact that Lambert kept us up that many years in a row is an accomplishment within itself. 

As for the new manager, Potter should have been the hire after Dean was sacked. It was obvious Brighton were on the up with a far slimmer budget than we are on. If Steven is going to get till the WC break then the season is already washed. I'd rather just let him have the year as long as he can keep us from relegation. Then we can give the new guy a full off-season to get acclimated. 

Would pretty much be 2 wasted years. Years that we needed in order to stave off the impending Newcastle onslaught. I think you can stick a fork in any chance of Villa breaking into the top 6 at that point.

9 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Yeah we've probably missed the Potter boat IMO.

He's now leapfrogged the line to a " big " club I feel.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Would pretty much be 2 wasted years. Years that we needed in order to stave off the impending Newcastle onslaught. I think you can stick a fork in any chance of Villa breaking into the top 6 at that point.

Every season we seem to be in transition, never really had a good run of it for years. We need to realise, we still have time this season, if we sack Gerrard in the next couple of games and bring a decent manager. Sod giving him time, it'll be another lower midtable finish for him this season, only to give him a good run of it next season only to fail again and wreck the 23/24 season.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Newcastle having got the Eddie Howe hire right have already passed us. Highly doubt a new manager this season could make up the ground. For one our squad is now horribly setup for anything other than Steven's system. The current manager is our only hope for a quick fix this season. 

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Every season we seem to be in transition, never really had a good run of it for years. We need to realise, we still have time this season, if we sack Gerrard in the next couple of games and bring a decent manager. Sod giving him time, it'll be another lower midtable finish for him this season, only to give him a good run of it next season only to fail again and wreck the 23/24 season.

We were steadily building for 3 years. Hit a rough patch, sacked the manager...fine. "Continuous improvement" was the line. Absolutely. The thinking should have been to sign someone who can pick up where we left on and push us on. Why would there now need to be a 2 year transition period? It's just completely at odds to everything we've been hearing from the club.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Ohh, comon. We say it was a pice off piss for Gerrard up in Scotish land. Now you want to take Postecoglou cause he's doing the same?? Sometimes, fans???

Rodgers is tipped to be the next man, I have no doubt. Unsure how his pay off would work if he comes straight here. Though I think he will have to s*** on the pitch in front of the CEO, for them to sack him and pay him 10 million to leave.

There’s a world of difference between what Postecoglou is doing and what Gerrard did to be fair. He knows exactly how he wants to play and most importantly can get the message across to the players of how to play it. Gerrard has a vague idea what he wants the team to look like and the communication skills of a mute who doesn’t know sign language.

It also took Gerrard 2 years to get Rangers going. It took Postecoglou 2 months to turn Celtic around. 

Edited by sparrow1988

Is it just me or what? I don't get the Potter wankfest. Crikey what exactly has he done? In my eye's not a lot. 

And don't give me all the bull shit about Brighton, small club, small budget crap. We'd be back to square one with him.

He's too much of a risk. Who in  the Prem would take him as their new manager?

Man City - No

Arsenal - No

Spurs - No

Manure - No

Liverpool - No

Chelsea - No

a fair few more - No

Bournemouth - Yes

Fulham - Maybe/Yes

Forest - Yes

We've done lots of our managerial shopping based on small time immediate success and recruited some really poor managers.

We need to  be looking at the top proven managers. Managers who just make it happen wherever they go.

Potter is not the be all and end all. He's another risk and a risk we cannot afford to take.

The board/owners need to step up and start to shop in Harrods......#getpochin

17 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

There’s a world of difference between what Postecoglou is doing and what Gerrard did to be fair. He knows exactly how he wants to play and most importantly can get the message across to the players of how to play it. Gerrard has a vague idea what he wants the team to look like and the communication skills of a mute who doesn’t know sign language.

It also took Gerrard 2 years to get Rangers going. It took Postecoglou 2 months to turn Celtic around. 

Katy Perry Reaction GIF by Idols Global

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Is it just me or what? I don't get the Potter wankfest. Crikey what exactly has he done? In my eye's not a lot. 

And don't give me all the bull shit about Brighton, small club, small budget crap. We'd be back to square one with him.

Man City - No

Arsenal - No

Spurs - No

Manure - No

Liverpool - No

Chelsea - No

a fair few more - No

Bournemouth - Yes

Fulham - Maybe/Yes

Forest - Yes

We've done lots of our managerial shopping based on small time immediate success and recruited some really poor managers.

We need to  be looking at the top proven managers. Managers who just make it happen wherever they go.

Potter is not the be all and end all. He's another risk and a risk we cannot afford to take.

Potter has Brighton set up very well, coached brilliantly actually. He’s got Danny wellbeck up top like. I’d say Chelsea, spurs and arsenal would happily take him now 

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Potter has Brighton set up very well, coached brilliantly actually. He’s got Danny wellbeck up top like. I’d say Chelsea, spurs and arsenal would happily take him now 

Many Spurs fans wanted him when they sacked Nuno. He'd have been good for either North London club if it didn't work out the way it has for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

You really think he's an upgrade for those teams...

sorry, but i don't see it

4 minutes ago, imavillan said:

You really think he's an upgrade for those teams...

sorry, but i don't see it

Look at where they are on the table, early days of course but they lost two key if not their best players and looked just as good. Great recruitment and great coaching 

16 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Man City - No

Arsenal - No

Spurs - No

Manure - No

Liverpool - No

Chelsea - No

a fair few more - No

Bournemouth - Yes

Fulham - Maybe/Yes

Forest - Yes

Cant quote it directly as the topic has closed but I posted the following on 11/11/21:

He took Ostersund from the 4th division to the top flight, keeping them there and winning silverware as well as doing themselves proud in the Europa league - All on a limited budget and whilst playing good football.

Did a decent job at Swansea then got his move to Brighton and kept them up whilst playing some great stuff and arguably deserving more points, which they are getting this year. 

He’s absolute lightyears ahead of Gerrard in terms of what he has achieved and experience. I don’t think it will be long until he’s managing at the the top of the game, would have been an incredible appointment if we could have tempted him.

He then finished the season top half and they’ve looked excellent so far this season.

He’s destined for the top for me, I could definitely see him at Spurs or Arsenal he’s MUCH less a gamble than what they took on Arteta for instance.

“A fair few more no” - I don’t think theres a single side outside the ones you’ve listed that wouldn’t seriously consider him a candidate, circumstances permitting. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Newcastle having got the Eddie Howe hire right have already passed us. Highly doubt a new manager this season could make up the ground. For one our squad is now horribly setup for anything other than Steven's system. The current manager is our only hope for a quick fix this season. 

Eddie Howe was able to turn Newcastle around quickly, why couldn’t someone we get in? I think our squad is better than Newcastle’s. Yes we lack width, but there is enough quality there. 

15 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Eddie Howe was able to turn Newcastle around quickly, why couldn’t someone we get in? I think our squad is better than Newcastle’s. Yes we lack width, but there is enough quality there. 

We didn't lack width until Gerrard sold/loaned out 3 of our 4 wingers 😂 

• Like 1