Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

33 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Risk, same with Potter really, living the dream cause no real expectation.

Trying to eliminate risk sounds good but could limit us. What candidates have already been successful in England and won trophies here, still active and relevant? Mourinho, Conte, Pep and Klopp? Don’t believe Ranieri counts these days.

9 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I think that Brendan Rodgers needs a good rest when he parts company with Leicester.

Pochettino is a serial 2/3 season turnover manager.

Potter is a manager who may see Villa as a long term challenge that defines his career.

Potter for me.

To be fair most managers are a 2/3 season turnover manager as that’s probably about average or slightly  longer than average. I can see the merits of Potter because he might be the one who sticks around and wants to leave a legacy. Which is probably a big stumbling block in getting him in the first place. The argument I would assume would be that we have a higher ceiling if he can make it work. 

The club needs a reset, the high profile celebrity approach has failed and we shouldn’t be surprised at all. Trying to get there without the basics generally end’s in tears. I’m fairly sure that NSWE will have some to this conclusion by now, if Purslow hasn’t then he needs to wise up sharpish. He seems to have given SG the keys to the castle and forgotten all about the much vaunted building of teams at every age level that plays a similar style, right through the kids to the first team. I hope all the kids teams aren’t being coached the same as the first team right now or the problems will last for years. 

I still think we could get a surprise though. Hopefully it’s a nice surprise for a change. Fingers crossed 🤞 

25 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I think that Brendan Rodgers needs a good rest when he parts company with Leicester.

Potter is a manager who may see Villa as a long term challenge that defines his career.

Potter for me.

Who ever we get next, I’d love if they had this mentality going in

• Like 2

Until there is a statement from the club we have no idea what is going on inside the club.

I hope they have understood that Gerrard must go and a replacement is needed. But that is me assuming the club knows what they are doing, but I cannot know that for a fact.

Here are a list of possible option on what is going on inside the club.

1. The club is standing behind Gerrard and there are no plans to replace.
  2. The club have given Gerrard a number of games to improve the situation.
  3. The club have decided to replace Gerrard, but are discussing when to do it.
  4. The club is looking for a replacement, but will not take action before the replacement is ready.
  5. There are disagreements inside the club on what to do.
  6. The club is in a state panic, but have invested too much in project Gerrard to make a change.

In my view all options are wrong, he should have been sacked, interim manager should have been installed while the club is looking for a replacement.

Instead we are wandering around in the unknown, clutching at any straw available no matter how unlikely. The club should let us know what is going on for the mental well-being of the fan base. I have clearly lost it, I made this post just so I could make a list. The club need to know we need some certainty to get our sanity back.

Odds are in for the next Aston Villa Manager:

Kjetil Knutsen- 4/1
Ralph Hasenhüttl- 7/1
Brendan Rodgers- 8/1
Chris Wilder- 11/1
John Terry- 15/1
Mauricio Pochettino- 20/1
Graham Potter- 25/1
Marcelo Bielsa- 30/1
Dwight York- 1/80

Edited by messi11

2 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Until there is a statement from the club we have no idea what is going on inside the club.

I hope they have understood that Gerrard must go and a replacement is needed. But that is me assuming the club knows what they are doing, but I cannot know that for a fact.

4. The club is looking for a replacement, but will not take action before the replacement is ready.
  6. The club is in a state panic, but have invested too much in project Gerrard to make a change.

In my view all options are wrong, he should have been sacked, interim manager should have been installed while the club is looking for a replacement.

Instead we are wandering around in the unknown, clutching at any straw available no matter how unlikely. The club should let us know what is going on for the mental well-being of the fan base. I have clearly lost it, I made this post just so I could make a list. The club need to know we need some certainty to get our sanity back.

I think/hope it is 4, but I'm not convinced it is not 5 😬

18 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Kjetil Knutsen- 4/1
Ralph Hasenhüttl- 7/1
Brendan Rodgers- 8/1
Chris Wilder- 11/1
John Terry- 15/1
Graham Potter- 25/1
Marcelo Bielsa- 30/1
Dwight York- 1/80

where are these odds from?

17 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Kjetil Knutsen- 4/1
Ralph Hasenhüttl- 7/1
Brendan Rodgers- 8/1
Chris Wilder- 11/1
John Terry- 15/1
Graham Potter- 25/1
Marcelo Bielsa- 30/1
Dwight York- 1/80

Dwight Yorke it is then, it’s about time and only fair he was gifted a chance at a top club.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Potter for me.

Is there a different Pocchetino I don't know about or are you referring to the Poch who spent his whole career lasting less than 2 or more than 3 seasons at a club?

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Why are we still thinking of these random managers. 

Been there done that, took on the learners, now we need a manager/coach with experience, ideally someone who has won stuff, an not the plastic trophies up Scotland.

I don't think we can say we've just taken on the learners. We've taken on managers in every single shape and size since Martin O'Neill and the only two that worked out (in my opinion) one lasted a season and his heart gave up on him and the other one got us into the prem and climbing but not quick enough for the board. 

We need a strong identity again, like what Gerrard brings, but only this time we need one that works everywhere other than Scotland and FIFA. 

28 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

We are really risking making the same mistake as the 15/16 season when Sherwood was given far too many games and Garde had to perform a miracle (which he was definitely not good enough to do).

8 hours ago, messi11 said:

Kjetil Knutsen- 4/1
Ralph Hasenhüttl- 7/1
Brendan Rodgers- 8/1
Chris Wilder- 11/1
John Terry- 15/1
Graham Potter- 25/1
Marcelo Bielsa- 30/1
Dwight York- 1/80

Knutsen, Hassenhuttl, Pochetino for me. To many red flags regarding Rodgers he actually sounds very similar to Gerrard.

• Like 2