Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I watched their game today, very impressive again. Leeds doing their turbo press all over the pitch but Brighton just calmly play through it, their passing really is the result of long hours on the training pitch. Should have scored 3 or 4 today.

They can seriously challenge for europa this season imo, early days but they're winning the games now they were drawing 0-0 or even losing last few years. This is Potter's fourth season in fairness with them but it really feels like it's all clicking and they'll finally start to live up to their xG.

So would certainly be a very strange time for him to walk out on them and join a team who'll probably be around relegation zone.

40 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I watched their game today, very impressive again. Leeds doing their turbo press all over the pitch but Brighton just calmly play through it, their passing really is the result of long hours on the training pitch. Should have scored 3 or 4 today.

If Potter was to come do you think he would try and sign any of the brighton players?

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Yea people need to forget Potter and accept that Brighton are a better club than us at the moment, in pretty much all departments. 

Brighton are a better club than Manchester United in all departments too. Doesn't  mean Potter refuses the job
Same with Villa. We can get him if we really try it needs to be sooner rather than later. 

Gerard managing to lose 2-0 to a Bournemouth team that have lost their next three games on aggregate 16-0…

The decision to appoint him over Potter was mind-numbing at the time. Purslow just wanted to rub shoulders with his hero. 

11 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Yea people need to forget Potter and accept that Brighton are a better club than us at the moment, in pretty much all departments. 

Couldn’t disagree more.

We are a decent manager away from a very good team with a higher ceiling than Brighton.

• Like 1

Playing devils advocate Would potter handle the pressure and expectations of Aston Villa. Many a promising manager have struggled when coming to Villa. 

Last successful manager was MON and he was a big name in the game. 

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Playing devils advocate Would potter handle the pressure and expectations of Aston Villa. Many a promising manager have struggled when coming to Villa. 

I think people are forgetting that VP is very much the infamous “managerial graveyard”… just look at what happened to Lambert… which managers have gone on to “better things” after their tenures here? We ruined his life! 🤣 Not just his career! 🤣

Potter could be ruined and wilt under the pressure here - we’ve seen it before. On several occasions…

It could be argued that he would be mad to leave Brighton and come here… why leave a “good thing” and take all the risks and pressures that come with it?

We need to take a different approach rather than continue to look at these relatively rookie managers, I’d like a more experienced appointment with a bit of a track record, someone with experience of managing a top club and the pressures that come with it.

We can’t keep appointing  people who are learning or the job or who are relative novices… I know this doesn’t fully apply to Potter and he has done well, but his only “high profile” job has been Brighton and they’re not exactly seen as a big club with massive pressures or ambitions… he’s overachieved there…

You need a lot of resilience and a strong character to do well at this club…

Those representing the club like to constantly throw out the word “ambition” and other such buzzwords and statements of intent…

Well, let’s actually back that up for once and show that we mean genuine business…

GO GET POCH!

It’s not even going to cost us to pry him from a club, he’s AVAILABLE! At least talk to the guy… 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

The time to hire Potter was when we dismissed Dean. He is probably to good for us now. If we do convince it will be with a very hefty wage increase. 

Well, we do like to waste millions don’t we? Seems to be the identity of this club in the modern era 🙄

After all, we’re paying this piss poor manager £5m a year and for what?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They can seriously challenge for europa this season imo, early days but they're winning the games now they were drawing 0-0 or even losing last few years. This is Potter's fourth season in fairness with them but it really feels like it's all clicking and they'll finally start to live up to their xG.

So would certainly be a very strange time for him to walk out on them and join a team who'll probably be around relegation zone.

I think he would be seen as a madman really… why leave when it’s going so well? If he gets more backing, he can achieve even more…

22 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I believe both managers lost similar run of matches because both managers are quite similar.

Both managers lack adaptability, both managers are reactive rather than proactive, one got sacked and one should never have been hired in hindsight.

If Gerrard goes then I'll be disappointed if Purslow isn't right behind him.

Wouldn’t Purslow going massively disrupt our plans and deals? How would it affect the stadium expansion plans?

Just tell him to keep his nose out of actual football matters and stick to the business and commercial side of things… focus on what he’s good at…

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

It’s possible he couldn’t. From all I’ve heard and read about Potter it’s clear he’s a softspoken leader, seems to get people to buy in without any problem but it could be he’s too nice to survive at a cut-throat place. He’s always being mentioned for the England job, but I think he’d absolutely hate the media pressure that comes with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Of course! I think he would rise to the occasion 

My unpopular view on Potter, with a surprising twist at the end that I don't feel like explaining

Top six won't go anywhere near Potter as it stands.

At Swansea they were in the bottom half for most of his time there, they improved slightly towards the end but still only finished eleventh, Steve Cooper replaced him and took them to the Play-Off Final.

At Brighton first two seasons he barely did any better than Hughton, they improved last season and did well, but they have a lot of good players it wasn't exactly an amazing achievement, other managers have done better with lesser squads.

This season they've started well, but we're only four games into the season, this time last season Everton were on ten points after four games.

I think it's questionable whether we would go for him never mind top six, and even if we did despite the calls for him now, when it came to it I doubt our fans would have patience for his style of football, and results suffereing while the team has to adapt to his style of play, also Brighton's home record has been pretty poor with him as manager, I think it was one win in 2020 and they had one of the worst home records in the league last season as well.

All that said I wouldn't be disappointed if we appointed him.

• Like 2