Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Brighton are harsh negotiators which is fair enough for them. We could realistically get Potter but would probably cost 15-20 million. He isnt going to throw a tantrum to leave either

Which is peanuts in the scheme of things in football today.

I know he's from the West Mids - isn't he a Villa fan?

It's **** insane the tough spot we've put ourselves in now.

Someone I would have loved like Marco Rose becomes a much bigger risk because we've wasted our pre-season with Gerrard.

No head coach out in Aus and the **** PR manager wandering round the training ground with a clipboard, Jesus Christ.

Whoever we appoint it'll be a huge departure from the non-system we're currently deploying.

Leeds have just appointed Rose's main assistant and it's not ideal to get anyone without their preferred #2.

Gerrard will cling onto this. He gets sacked from Villa it's only stupid clubs like Everton and West Brom who will touch him for years. Well run middling clubs like Brighton, Brentford and Newcastle won't answer the phone to him. And of course, at said stupid clubs he won't be given tens and hundreds of millions to spend. This could actually be it for him.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

It's **** insane the tough spot we've put ourselves in now.

Someone I would have loved like Marco Rose becomes a much bigger risk because we've wasted our pre-season with Gerrard.

No head coach out in Aus and the **** PR manager wandering round the training ground with a clipboard, Jesus Christ.

Whoever we appoint it'll be a huge departure from the non-system we're currently deploying.

Leeds have just appointed Rose's main assistant and it's not ideal to get anyone without their preferred #2.

Gerrard will cling onto this. He gets sacked from Villa it's only stupid clubs like Everton and West Brom who will touch him for years. Well run middling clubs like Brighton, Brentford and Newcastle won't answer the phone to him. And of course, at said stupid clubs he won't be given tens and hundreds of millions to spend. This could actually be it for him.

Similar to O’Neill in that sense.

If we had a powerful sporting director who was going to lead the search things would feel much better.

I doubt Lange will have much to say (and maybe that’s just as well tbf). It’s going to be Purslow’s job again looking for managers in Transfermarkt and eventually calling up the few names he knows.

Benitez was mentioned in a previous post — it won’t ever be Benitez as long as Purslow is here, they have a very bitter history.

7 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Poch won’t come.  Potter would need a couple of seasons.  I’d have a look at Brendan Rodgers. He can't be happy with the way things have gone behind the scenes at Leicester. 

I think most people would be happy to give Potter a couple of seasons as long as there are signs of improvement and signs of a playing style. Gerrard has been here for 10 months, pretty much signed who he wanted and we’ve not improved a single bit. 

8 hours ago, KMitch said:

Best available managers currently out of work we should be looking at:

• Mauricio Pochettino - Probably not realistic, but we should absolutely contact him first.  Best out of work manager in Europe.
  • Rafa Benitez - A very controversial suggestion, considering his recent spell with Everton, but he's been successful just about everywhere he's been.  Newcastle and Liverpool fans both absolutely adore him and his number 1 strength is organizing defensively.
  • Marcelo Bielsa - Turned a mid-table Championship Leeds side into champions, then finished mid-table in the Prem before the magic wore off.  Regardless of the Villa v Leeds rivalry recently, we should definitely consider him.
  • Marco Rose - Didn't work out for him at Dortmund and I was surprised he wasn't given a bit more time than 1 season, but he was brilliant at Borussia Monchengladbach before that and has all the makings of being the next great German manager.

Potter has been brilliant at Brighton and should also be someone we talk to, but I'm just highlighting that there are others out there who would instantly improve us and would be capable of pushing us into European contention.  

I'd only look at first and last on that list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

I'd only look at first and last on that list.

If I had to, only the last. Granted I have a massive thing for German coaches, they have really done some great work with their training and education of new coaches. No surprise there are so many good ones around.

Something about Poch rubs me the wrong way.

6 hours ago, Indigo said:

I appreciate the ambition of wanting Poch but there's no way that's happening. He's deservedly elevated himself into being in the mix for elite clubs.

Rose could be an interesting one, I watched quite a bit of his Mochengladbach team and he did great work there. Wasn't exactly bad at Dortmund either, the league went about as you'd expect considering Bayern's dominance but the performances were underwhelming elsewhere which didn't help his cause. Not many other obvious options out of work right now but it's not like we're realistically going to be getting rid of Gerrard in the immediate future.

Whoever it is I just hope it's someone with proven coaching credentials at a level befitting the kind of ambition we're showing in the playing squad.

I certainly wouldn't rule Poch out

1 minute ago, daft said:

If I had to, only the last. Granted I have a massive thing for German coaches, they have really done some great work with their training and education of new coaches. No surprise there are so many good ones around.

Something about Poch rubs me the wrong way.

I would wonder if the old magic is still there.....

8 hours ago, KMitch said:

Best available managers currently out of work we should be looking at:

• Mauricio Pochettino - Probably not realistic, but we should absolutely contact him first.  Best out of work manager in Europe.
  • Rafa Benitez - A very controversial suggestion, considering his recent spell with Everton, but he's been successful just about everywhere he's been.  Newcastle and Liverpool fans both absolutely adore him and his number 1 strength is organizing defensively.
  • Marcelo Bielsa - Turned a mid-table Championship Leeds side into champions, then finished mid-table in the Prem before the magic wore off.  Regardless of the Villa v Leeds rivalry recently, we should definitely consider him.
  • Marco Rose - Didn't work out for him at Dortmund and I was surprised he wasn't given a bit more time than 1 season, but he was brilliant at Borussia Monchengladbach before that and has all the makings of being the next great German manager.

Pochettino is the best on that list, doubtful he’d come to us, but as for being the best out of work manager in Europe, that’d be Zidane.

I’m sure Digne would be delighted if we hired Rafa.

Bielsa, we’d need to sell half the team. He runs his team into the ground, they then ultimately fall apart.

Don’t know much about Marco Rose.

Not much else available, we can’t afford to get the next manager wrong.

6 hours ago, KMitch said:

Rose had a lot of injury problems at Dortmund last season too, and still got the club to finish where they were expected.  He's my first choice, but is probably the least likely to come to Villa with Purslow heading up the interviews.  Purslow's shortlist will probably be Potter, Vieira, and Scott Parker.  

Vieira would be a good call. Rose interesting, the vibe of that appointment spot on. There's plenty out there with the right sort of experience. 

The last 10 months have been so unnecessary, given the experience of managers that started in Scotland coming south over past thirty years, Gerrard should have been in contention for the Bristol City job, not the villa one. 

Can’t get Pochettino? Get Gallardo or Sampaoli. The connection? They’re all Bielsa disciples who have learnt to use the squad unlike their master.

Marseille would have got closer to psg if they signed some of the players Jorge wanted. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Not sure who this is, or how a Brazilian journalist would have the inside scoop at Villa, but who knows.

https://fcpmedia.net/who-could-replace-gerrard-if-sacked.html

Google translate for those of us that don’t speak Portuguese. 

URGENT: The board of directors of Aston Villa will give Steven Gerrard for the international break in late September to show signs of improvement. If there is no improvement, #AVFC will start a search for a new manager. Some at the club want Pochettino.

16 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Pochettino is the best on that list, doubtful he’d come to us, but as for being the best out of work manager in Europe, that’d be Zidane.

I’m sure Digne would be delighted if we hired Rafa.

Bielsa, we’d need to sell half the team. He runs his team into the ground, they then ultimately fall apart.

Don’t know much about Marco Rose.

Not much else available, we can’t afford to get the next manager wrong.

There’s a whole world of managers out there. Gerrard wasn’t available either but we made the effort of buying him out of his contract. That’s an expensive thing to do, but not as expensive as appointing the wrong manager.

i'm positive that purslow called gerrard when deano was manager to ask the question about whether he'd be interested. gerrard said he was, so deano was sacked. had gerrard said no, i'm sure deano would've stayed

the same approach needs to happen here...the question has to be asked of poch. if he's in any way interested, then the deal needs to be done

• Like 4