Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Brighton fans could perhaps rightfully scoff at our arrogance in thinking we could click our fingers and Potter to drive up to B6.  We haven't won a trophy for nearly 30 years, finished in the top half for over 10, and have been more recently in the Championship than them.

If we are going to get Potter it would be all about money. More money in his bank account and more money to buy players. We have more potential than Brighton, because of owners with more money. If he get it right he would get more recognition with potential to be considered for even better jobs, but he would have less job security if it doesn’t go well.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Basically that's Pochettino then.

He's the most obvious out of work champions league experienced manager I can think of who could be interested in managing us. Beyond that it's guys like Luciene Favre again but we've overlooked those types in the past.

There are some good managers out of work or probably going to be soon out of work so criminal to me if we just waste another season giving existing manager too long to attempt to turn things around when we're seeing week in week out he simply dosen't have the required knowledge to do it.

Get in someone who does as there are good players in this squad.

Pochettino could be great, but he’s in that celebrity manager category where you would worry about him leaving anytime for a better gig. You don’t want the manager to feel like he’s doing the club a favour by being there.

It’s a fine line though and maybe he’s more down to earth than I think.

29 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Pochettino could be great, but he’s in that celebrity manager category where you would worry about him leaving anytime for a better gig. You don’t want the manager to feel like he’s doing the club a favour by being there.

It’s a fine line though and maybe he’s more down to earth than I think.

When SG was hired some was worried he would leave us for Liverpool. Too bad we don’t have to worry about that anymore, it would have been so much better than to worry about when will the owners see the light and sack him. Same with Pochettino, if he is so successful that there is a possibility that a bigger club would want him, we would be in a very happy place.

8 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

When SG was hired some was worried he would leave us for Liverpool. Too bad we don’t have to worry about that anymore, it would have been so much better than to worry about when will the owners see the light and sack him. Same with Pochettino, if he is so successful that there is a possibility that a bigger club would want him, we would be in a very happy place.

Yes, but in Pochettino’s case he wouldn’t have to be successful at Villa first to get calls from other clubs. He’s already proven so to say.

50 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Speaking of Benitez, that’s one manager Villa would never appoint as long as Purslow is still at the club. They had a famous feud going on at Liverpool when they both were there. Purslow finally drove him out.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/25/rafael-benitez-christain-purslow-liverpool-exit

Even if Purslow wasn't here we wouldn't appoint him anyway after the Everton stuff.

• Like 1

Potter is a PL version of Smith imo. Great with average players and will have you playing some great football but next level unknown. We can't continue with unknowns. We need a gaffer that everyone knows can deliver

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Brighton fans could perhaps rightfully scoff at our arrogance in thinking we could click our fingers and Potter to drive up to B6.  We haven't won a trophy for nearly 30 years, finished in the top half for over 10, and have been more recently in the Championship than them.

Lol, I think you underestimate the delusions of Grandeur some of our fans have.

I actually saw an interviewer ask Dan Bardell if Villa fans had slight " delusions of grandeur " syndrome on Sky. lol

Villa are a much bigger club than Brighton. that's not delusional or disrespectful or whatever, it's a simple fact. Any Brighton fan with a brain will understand and appreciate that. That doesn't mean Potter would automatically want to jump ship, they're a fantastic project, but I'm just saying. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Potter is a PL version of Smith imo. Great with average players and will have you playing some great football but next level unknown. We can't continue with unknowns. We need a gaffer that everyone knows can deliver

Are you talking about Pep or Jūrgen here? Who else would fit into the category of manager everybody knows can deliver?

Potter would be a massive upgrade to what we have, and that would be enough for me. Sure he maybe wouldn’t be everybody’s preferred candidate, but he would at least bring some hope that we could compete with the top.

1 minute ago, viivvaa66 said:

Are you talking about Pep or Jūrgen here? Who else would fit into the category of manager everybody knows can deliver?

Potter would be a massive upgrade to what we have, and that would be enough for me. Sure he maybe wouldn’t be everybody’s preferred candidate, but he would at least bring some hope that we could compete with the top.

Yes, people see Potter as an upgrade for what he has done with Brighton but he is in a long list of managers that have done well at clubs with less expectancy. Much smaller clubs that afford time to managers because being a middling club is seen as an achievement. That isn't washing at Villa. He's also unproven at a top club, still not won anything, still no idea if he could manage the ego's that inhabit clubs of our size. Just too many unknowns for me.

We need someone who has managed at a bigger club than Potter imo. It's nothing against him personally as I do think he's done a decent job. Good enough for the Villa job though....I don't think so. After Smith maybe he'd have been a decent appointment, but I think we should be fishing in a different pond once Gerrard inevitably goes.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Exactly. We are running on fumes living off past glories 40 years ago at this point. Hurts to say but it's true.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

If Gerrard gets the boot anytime soon he has to take purslow with him..or else we will remain in the same mess we are in now

What mess? Even if the Gerrard project doesn't work out Purslow shouldn't have to resign. Whether people like him or not he has been integral to our growth as a club since he arrived. He's doing a decent job and one managerial f*** up, shouldn't been seen a failure of what he has helped achieved thus far. He brought Smith in and people didn't want him gone after Smith's position went tits up so the idea he should leave if Gerrard doesn't work out is ludicrous. With the merry go round that is the PL you'd have clubs in a right pickle if you sacked the ceo after every managerial flop. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we cant get poch or rodgers id like us to make a statement and think outaids the box and go for someone like mancini.

Id love it. Be a absolutely exciting appointment 

A man with an average enough club track record who falls out regularly with his players😛

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Beyond that it's guys like Luciene Favre again but we've overlooked those types in the past.

Rejoined Nice a couple weeks ago. Would've been ideal for the squad we have and our goals at the moment.

• Like 1