January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

On board with this idea, weird signing. We can do a LOT better.

Marv out first though, so maybe that’s a summer move…

It is so far down the list of priorities, it won't happen 

1 hour ago, burchy said:

Talk of us using a player in the Guendouzi deal, could it be Digne to help get his 160k off the books?

Why do I think they wouldn’t take Digne cos of his wages but would take Coutinho? 😵🤔🤨🤷‍♂️

Edited by Jas10

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

It is so far down the list of priorities, it won't happen 

Agreed, just sharing my thoughts. Is he any good in defence? Could he cover adequately?

He just look so lazy, slow and clumsy. Not a very gifted or technical footballer.

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

If you can't see that if, at 21 years old, he carries on his stratospheric progress and development from the last two seasons he will be an outstanding PL midfielder then I cannot help you. 

The kid is a physical beast, can carry the ball at speed (something so few players can do), can shoot, can finish, and has improved his ball retention under Emery no end. 

He is fine details away from being worth £50m+. Transfermarkt already have him at £28m and he is the standout midfielder in the England u21 set up. 

He is absolutely critical to how we play as we have literally no one else who can advance the ball up the pitch. 

Sorry, but he's excellent. Emery got him straight back in the second he was fit and I regard his assessment of our players far above yours I'm sorry to say. 

Who was Emery going to play ahead of Ramsey?  I didn’t say he won’t be a top player and isn’t excellent, but he still has alot of work to do and needs competition.

Your comments sum up what im trying to say. You’re making him out to be Zidane. If he was a Scottish u21 he wouldn’t get half the hype.  

24 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

The lack of quality and consistency between them all is a concern. If Kamara gets injured the drop off will be noticeable. If Europe wasn’t a possibility I would agree but as we actually have a chance…

Even more reason to sign a quality midfielder like Guendouzi who possesses a wide range of attributes.

Excellent on the ball and in the pass. Carries the ball with ease.

His talent and ability were obvious when he was at Arsenal, even at such a young age. Only improved and matured since, what a signing he would be!

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Agreed, just sharing my thoughts. Is he any good in defence? Could he cover adequately?

He just look so lazy, slow and clumsy. Not a very gifted or technical footballer.

I actually don't think he is as bad as others think, and he is more than capable of playing as a centre back you just wouldn't start a season with him as first choice centre back.

11 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Traore shouldn't have been on loan in the first place, stupid Gerrard.

I am unsure as to how he will get on under Emery though, he isn't exactly a hard worker.

You never know, with some actual and decent coaching he could do well. Under a quality manager rather than a clown…

Will always maintain, he was a star during the lockdown season and provided many memorable moments, skills and goals. 

Basically, just trying to make the point that we should utilise who we can and is at our disposal, give Unai a chance to take a look at them. The loan was stupid and he’s injured now but I’d rather keep him here then send him back out there unless we sign several attackers…

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I actually don't think he is as bad as others think, and he is more than capable of playing as a centre back you just wouldn't start a season with him as first choice centre back.

He annoys me tbh… doesn’t look like a quality footballer. Can “do a job” but has lapses of concentration and is far too casual. Again, weird signing.

36 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

There's nothing we can do about that though. Kamara is probably the best player at the club. If we lose him of course we will suffer. We can't get a Kamara level player in as cover for Kamara. 

No but if we do get Guendouzi then an injury to either him, Kamara or Luiz is at least slightly mitigated because we've still got 2 out of the three and the overall impact of bringing in someone like McGinn would be less of an issue.  A midfield of Guendouzi, Luiz, McGinn and JJ is still a pretty darned decent midfield.  The impact of an injury to Kamara at the moment would be bigger because a central midfield of Luiz and Dendonker or Luiz or McGinn is less likely to dominate the middle of the park .  Probably OK for a few games - much more so than in the previous few months because of the improved coaching.

I don't think we will need 2 players for every position under Emery - because he's much better able to adjust the formation, etc and ensuring that the players are comfortable with this.  If you look at his Villareal days he almost had two different teams depending on whether they were at home against "weaker" opposition or away against teams likely to dominate possession.  Although the two teams had a number of the same names on the teamsheet - those players played in a different way and yet were pretty effective at both.  Whereas our issue for a long time has been that if Plan A doesn't work we don't have a Plan B.  So Guendouzi would be our cover for Kamara (to slot into a more "defensive" role if Kamara is out injured) even though he was a different role in the starting XI when Kamara is fit.  It then means that if Kamara gets injured then maybe JJ or McGinn come into the team - not to replace Kamara but to then slot into the Guendouzi role - which is a bit closer to the skill set that they have.  In many ways this then means that (for arguments sake) McGinn becomes cover for Kamara, Luiz and Guendouzi.  If any one of the three is out - the remaining two slightly adjust their position / role and McGinn slots in in his normal role / position.

I don't think that we've ever had a manager / coach who can create cover like that.  More importantly I don't think we've had a manager who can coach our players to succeed at doing that.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

🤣🤣🤣

Surely not???!!

🤣🤣🤣

I was joking with my Everton supporting mate only yesterday about how the only way their season could get any worse would be if they replaced Lampard with Gerrard.  It would be absolutely hilarious.  More than happy to contribute to any crowd-funding exercise to make this happen!!!!

• Haha 1