January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

We could really do with a player who is a genuine threat from free kicks and long range, someone who can shoot on target at least! 🤣 Get him signed!

As we are buying central midfielders and playing them 'wide' could always try for JWP again.

5 minutes ago, paul514 said:

We have KKH

Think Kesler Hayden is still at least a season away from being a serious contender in the squad. He had a poor spell at Huddersfield, which happens with young players from time to time but he probably needs another Championship spell which goes better before we can draft him into the first team

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

As we are buying central midfielders and playing them 'wide' could always try for JWP again.

No thanks.

Overpriced, overrated (beyond free kicks), not young either (even poorer value). Not even a regular international (considering the cost). Sod that English tax, let’s be sensible and reasoned with our spending.

There is so much talent and value out there, isn’t that why we have scouts?

There are much better midfielders with more talent, quality, longevity and value out there. Let’s get away from the “same old names”.

I’d rather have Koopmeiners 🤣

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, useless said:

Just a little over a week of the transfer window to go, recently it was reported that a winger was a priortiy, Emery even alluded to this himself, so definitely some truth to that, we now need a replacement for Ings, again something Emery has admitted, and is still speaking of bringing in another midfielder. With players leaving as well, It could be a very busy week coming up.

I believe so, we are going to be active and it will be great for Unai to have a stronger team to manage…

Unai has clearly stated that he's after a winger as a top priority. 

I would love for us to go after Pulisic given how ridiculously Chelsea are being run right now. He has no guarantee of European football next season and has already stated that there's a good chance he's leaving the club this month. 

Would be expensive as hell, but at 24 and where we're going, it would be amazing. 

34 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

No thanks.

Overpriced, overrated (beyond free kicks), not young either (even poorer value). Not even a regular international (considering the cost). Sod that English tax, let’s be sensible and reasoned with our spending.

There are much better midfielders with more talent, quality, longevity and value out there. Let’s get away from the “same old names”.

I'd rather have JWP than the lad from Real Sociadad

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I would love for us to go after Pulisic given how ridiculously Chelsea are being run right now. He has no guarantee of European football next season and has already stated that there's a good chance he's leaving the club this month. 

Would be expensive as hell, but at 24 and where we're going, it would be amazing. 

Injury record is a concern I’m led to believe. Certainly a good player though whenever I’ve watched him. 

46 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

No thanks.

He's a bit more than free kicks in my opinion, but what about those free kicks...You are right about the English tax and I think they would be loathe to sell him, when they are in a relegation battle, but I think that he's an exceptional player that like Zaha and Jack (was for us) he is the one player that opponents fear when they play their clubs. Perhaps, we could look again in the summer, particularly if they go down? Age wise, he's not even 29 yet. He only turned 28 in November, so he has another few decent years ahead of him and quite a few years before he qualifies for a free bus pass;). That said, it's a question of what UE wants and I don't think he will be an option for us this month. 

Edited by John

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I still think McGinn starts in our best team at present. 

Agreed. He was playing some really nice football before his injury and we’ve certainly missed him in recent games. IMO a fully fit and on form McGinn starts ahead of Buendia every time. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, John said:

He's a bit more than free kicks in my opinion, but what about those free kicks...You are right about the English tax and I think they would be loathe to sell him, when they are in a relegation battle, but I think that he's an exceptional player that like Zaha and Jack (was for us) he is the one player that opponents fear when they play their clubs. Perhaps, we could look again in the summer, particularly if they go down? Age wise, he's not even 29 yet. He only turned 28 in November, so he has another few decent years ahead of him and quite a few years before he qualifies for a free bus pass;). That said, it's a question of what UE wants and I don't think he will be an option for us this month. 

I just knew that comment was going to be misconstrued 🤣 it’s always the case, though you’ve been fairly mild tbf compared to the usual responses. People sometimes seem to get defensive or offended by the sort of opinion I’ve expressed…

I’ve never called him a crap or poor player.

What I’m talking about, is value.
I didn’t say he was old or past it either, but he’s not good enough or young enough to justify a massive outlay, not for us imo, and that’s my main point. I’d hope the club is beyond that kind of mentality…

Yes, he’s more than free kicks but it’s his greatest attribute. Take that away, and he is not one of the best midfielders in this league or Europe. If he was, he’d be a guaranteed international player - he sometimes doesn’t even get in the squad, for whatever reason. There is much more of a limelight and bias on English and PL players anyway, and it’s not always justified… excess hype is rife…

Also, if he’s such a great player, why have none of the “top clubs” ever really attempted to sign him? Soton have lost many of their best players over the years… something worth considering…

I’m not berating the player. But, I would be upset if we, as a club, overspend on “names” or the “knowns” rather than the “lesser knowns”… if that makes sense. It’s about managing finances sensibly and getting the best “bang for our buck”.

Why blow, I don’t know, say £40m+ and a massive wage packet on a single player that isn’t going to improve the team all that much (he’s not better than Luiz or Kamara (who had his number yesterday) anyway, or Guendouzi if we are targetting him) when we could spread that out and buy 2-3 quality players that will boost the team more and might have some longevity about them?

Players on the way up rather than those who’ve hit their peak or, even worse, on the way down please. We should have learned our lessons by now.

Anyway, it’s just my opinion. Not about who is right or wrong.

I just think, it’s best to carry out good scouting (after all, so much is invested in it) and broaden our horizons - find the best talent and potential out there rather than go the obvious and expensive route - many clubs have suffered that way, Everton? 

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Guendouzi would be a perfect signing for us. I’d love us to continue in that “area of the market”. Young, experienced and highly talented.

I agree Jas, but only at a sensible price. I'd pay no more than 40 Million Euros.

43 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

No thanks. Massive wages, terrible injury record, terrible stats. That would be a Purslow and Gerrard signing. 

2 minutes ago, messi11 said:

I agree Jas, but only at a sensible price. I'd pay no more than 40 Million Euros.

Sure, we have to be sensible and, again, find value. I really think that’s important. But a young, talented player with huge potential and longevity and plenty of game experience is worth a decent outlay… plus, linking up with a few players he might be familiar with will only help.

• Like 2