January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Just now, DCJonah said:

If we can get a decent price for him I'd accept it. 

I mean I absolutely hate the idea of him helping any other team  however opportunity knocks if we can get  close to 20 mill from desperation we might not ever see anything like that again. 

For me the only players safe from the chop by Emery are Martinez and Kamara. I’m sure Emery would sell the rest over the next three windows if the offers were good enough.

8 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

I mean I absolutely hate the idea of him helping any other team  however opportunity knocks if we can get  close to 20 mill from desperation we might not ever see anything like that again. 

We are only 6 points off 6th place.  Not sure we should be selling our leading scorer UNLESS it partly funds his replacement.  At the moment I think keeping Ings until the summer is likely to be more valuable than the drop in price between £20 million now and whatever we could get for him in 6 months.  Watkins has his limitations and whilst I think Duran could be an exciting addition - it would be a massive gamble to risk playing 19 matches without a recognised Premier League striker (should Watkins get injured).

Edited by allani

If we sell Ings we better already have his replacement signed up and ready to go. He's the only consistent goal threat we've had this season. Also, what's this about Villa needing the money? We're throwing £20 million at teenagers! 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaHatesMe said:

If we sell Ings we better already have his replacement signed up and ready to go. He's the only consistent goal threat we've had this season. Also, what's this about Villa needing the money? We're throwing £20 million at teenagers! 🤣

He’s scored as many goals from open play as Watkins. 

If we can recoup pretty much what we paid it’s a no brainer, he isn’t a guaranteed first team player. Older player on big wages, be nice to shift since he isn’t an integral part of the team.

It’s imperative that we have a proper replacement/upgrade lined up though, otherwise it’s pointless, we need goals!

Edited by Jas10

2 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Non-penalty goals per 90 this season

Ings: 0.44
Ollie: 0.19

So many caveats to that though. Either way, the club will make the right decision and if any decent offer comes in, he’ll be on his way. He looks overweight to me. 

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Would anyone take a swap deal for Scamacca? 😆 Would he fare better with us?

All depends on who Emery wants and likes… Ings apparently not in his plans, doesn’t fit…?

As much as I like Ings - I'd snap your hand off in a swap deal for Scamacca lol. 

Scamacca is being criminally used in Moyes tactics. 

6 minutes ago, allani said:

We are only 6 points off 6th place.  Not sure we should be selling our leading scorer UNLESS it partly funds his replacement.  At the moment I think keeping Ings until the summer is likely to be more valuable than the drop in price between £20 million now and whatever we could get for him in 6 months.  Watkins has his limitations and whilst I think Duran could be an exciting addition - it would be a massive gamble to risk playing 19 matches without a recognised Premier League striker (should Watkins get injured).

We’ve yet to see if the bid will be accepted but I’m sure, as a club, we’re intelligent enough not to let anyone useful leave without replacing/upgrading them. If we don’t have anyone lined up, we’ll wait until the summer surely…

I’m sure Duran is seen as one for the future (even if it’s in the short term) rather than expected to make an immediate impact and be a starter.

Financially, it makes so much sense to sell Ings and get back most of what we paid and shift the wages off our books. We have to manage that side of things too and spend more wisely.

I’d like us to invest more in integral/important players and less on reserves… Digne and Coutinho next 👋 

Let’s go young and hungry rather than overpaid/overrated/past their best etc.

4 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Non-penalty goals per 90 this season

Ings: 0.44
Ollie: 0.19

Also you can't just ignore penalty goals.  Ings looks likely to score when he takes them.  I can't remember when Ollie last took one but the last time he was taking them regularly I seem to remember him missing a couple.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

So many caveats to that though. Either way, the club will make the right decision and if any decent offer comes in, he’ll be on his way. He looks overweight to me. 

What caveats? When Ings plays, he scores a lot more often than Ollie has. Ollie has 3 goals on an xG of 5.4 this season. In his Villa career, Ollie has 28 goals on 30.9 xG. He's consistently underperformed and isn't a great finisher.

Ings is on 4 non-penalty goals on 3.8 xG. He's the better finisher of the two.  Ollie does more overall, but we still need somebody to score the goals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trillvillan said:

As much as I like Ings - I'd snap your hand off in a swap deal for Scamacca lol. 

Scamacca is being criminally used in Moyes tactics. 

I haven’t watched him there but not heard much of him and he hasn’t scored many goals has he? Barely played?

He was highly rated and seen as quite a coup for them, it would be nice to have a quality CF here. I’d trust Emery to use him better but does Unai rate him?

Anyway, that’s not happening is it? 🤣

I guess I’m just nostalgic for Italian strikers, there were so many class ones in the 90s… aaah, Football Italia days 🤣