Who will be the next leader of the labour party ?

tonyh29

Who do you think will be the next leader of the Labour party  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will be the next leader of the Labour party

• David Miliband
    • Alan Johnson
    • Jack Straw
    • John Denham
    • Ed Miliband
    • Tony Blair
    • Jacqui Smith
    • Harriet Harman
    • Ed Balls
    • Other

Ok as promised following one of the worse defeats in the history of Uk elections

Who do you think will be the next leader of the Labour party ?

Obviously there are a lot of potential candidates so I listed a few of the bookies favourites

My feel is that a complete outsider will start the ball rolling someone like Des Brown thus allowing the potential winner to avoid the Brutus moment of knifing his own leader

Could James Purnell be considered a contender Tony, or do you think it's perhaps a tad early for him?

And I think it could be David Miliband or Alan Johnson being realistic.

urgh, dislike most of them, from the odd time I've seen them on question time, bbc parliament etc. Alan Johnson is the only one I've seen a bit of and not thought was a slimey prat, so to give me more potentially electable choices next time, I'll go for him!

I voted Johnson because the government are going to have some big problems with the unions soon because they know Brown is weak and are likely to push for a hard left agenda in return for their millions. With the state of Labour's finances at the moment plus a serious electability problem, they may just delude themselves that this would be a good idea and revert to type. As a union man himself Johnson may be the best placed potential candidate to limit the fallout of any industrial action.

They could go for Harriet Harman as Deputy but I reckon she'd be as bad or worse.

For me their best option is to call a GE ASAP allowing Miliband to take over what remains of the PLP and have a good re-think of what they are about. They will only get more unpopular as time goes on so it'd be in Labour's interest to save what they can now.

I'd be interested to hear the Ian's thoughts on this; do you guys think Brown should carry on to the election or does this convince you he will never be elected to the role of PM?

actually just spotted this and voted other, my fav labour politican nad has been for a while is Andy Burnham, a bit too young I guess at the mo but always seem geninue.

I said ti before but the whole problems started when somehow the party vote for Harman as deputy, to this day I don;t knwo how the **** that happened. I say that because if Allan Johnson was deputy I think he woul do a brilliant job.

Andy Burnham

him as Leader of Labour and Alan Duncan as leader of the Tories and I think we'd finally have some politics we could believe in again

Fair enough, Tony. It isn't about 'upsetting' her - it is about the method which Mr Burnham thought was acceptable to 'upset' someone.

Anyone wishing to be taken seriously in politics ought not to indulge in schoolboy innuendo when speaking on a subject of a serious nature (i.e. civil liberties) and ought not to be part of a whispering campaign of that ilk against people with whom they disagree.

No option for sooty and sweep? Next leaders will be puppets of the Unions as Labour are largely unelectable at the moment and hugely bankrupt in the near future. Only the Unions money can save them at the moment financially, unfortunately the unions will dominate their policy decisions too, so they will still be largely unelectable. They'll need a good ten years in the wilderness to recover from the next mauling. Any serious careerist politician wouldn't want to be Labour leader right now. We'll be back to the One Party State for a while, which is a shame, hopefully the Lib Dems can make some real inroads into the Labour heartlands, so they can push the Tories in the right direction, maybe they'll even become the second largest party, who knows, we're in strange political times

I was under the impression that George bush only came to power in 2000, whereas Labour came to power in 1997. So I don't see how he's been running them since they came to power...

Â