Ismaila Sarr

Aston_Villan4

Welcome Sarr.

I really hope this is the first of a few new signings as we don't need Sarr, we need a new CM and a new CB.

Happy to have Sarr here, but it's hard to be excited about it given it doesn't solve any of our current issues. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think I've ever seen Gerrard set us up with someone playing right wing. 

So let's sign an out and out right winger. 

to be fair Bailey or Sarr could play left or right winger/inside forward, depending on what primary foot you want on the left or right side of the pitch.

I even think Bailey/Sarr could play the Mane/Salah type roles, where they are wide then cut in at speed.

If we had a normal manager who played wingers, its a nice problem to have.

However, we have a manager who doesnt play wingers, so we go out and buy a winger.

i dont know what we are doing.

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

@MaVilla

Just in case that didn't come across correctly, I was referring to actual soup and not our team as really good 😀. There should be big chuck of meat and veg is good soup that need a fork for eating. yum. 😋

right now, i would never confuse such a statement, as its criminally not the case lol.

• Like 1

I appreciate there is a lot of debate on if we need Sarr or not and where he can/should play. I can't believe between Gerrard, Lange and Critchley they just threw darts at a board with pictures of players and decided to buy Sarr. There must be a plan we can't see

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Si. said:

Mixed feelings regarding this. 

No doubt he is a top player but is he what we need? We don’t even play with wingers? 

is Gerrard going to change the system to suite Sarr? Or play him up top? Who knows? 

10 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Nothing against the player Sarr but it just feels wrong when we have so many other issues.

12 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I've no idea what we're doing now. It seems, from the outside, an absolute shambles.

Nothing against the 3 posters I’ve quoted because I’m similarly confused by the signing. 

But this says more about our manager than it does the player. A couple of years ago (can’t be bothered to find the threads) there were a lot posts on here about signing this kid, he’s a really good player. 

I get the fact it seems confusing because our current manager doesn’t play with wingers, but almost every other manager in world football does. So if the board are still 100% behind the manager then I’d agree that the signing is concerning. But, maybe naively, I’m thinking/hoping that the board are planning for life after Gerrard.

Yes we are more in need of a midfielder, but a lot of managers would love someone of Sarr’s quality, so whilst I’m not entirely sure how this plays out under Gerrard, I’m sure that the kid could be a really important player for a different manager. 

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I appreciate there is a lot of debate on if we need Sarr or not and where he can/should play. I can't believe between Gerrard, Lange and Critchley they just threw darts at a board with pictures of players and decided to buy Sarr. There must be a plan we can't see

i think they asked Gerrard to choose a player he could spell, and he maxed out at 4 letters, the two x R's probably helped him also.

We will be signing NG next from Cardiff.

(thats Perry NG btw for anyone interested).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Nothing against the 3 posters I’ve quoted because I’m similarly confused by the signing. 

But this says more about our manager than it does the player. A couple of years ago (can’t be bothered to find the threads) there were a lot posts on here about signing this kid, he’s a really good player. 

I get the fact it seems confusing because our current manager doesn’t play with wingers, but almost every other manager in world football does. So if the board are still 100% behind the manager then I’d agree that the signing is concerning. But, maybe naively, I’m thinking/hoping that the board are planning for life after Gerrard.

Yes we are more in need of a midfielder, but a lot of managers would love someone of Sarr’s quality, so whilst I’m not entirely sure how this plays out under Gerrard, I’m sure that the kid could be a really important player for a different manager. 

completely agree, i dont think most peoples confusion is against Sarr as a player, but the whole transfer scenario considering who our manager is makes no sense, i said earlier:

"to be fair Bailey or Sarr could play left or right winger/inside forward, depending on what primary foot you want on the left or right side of the pitch.

I even think Bailey/Sarr could play the Mane/Salah type roles, where they are wide then cut in at speed, in something like a 433 or 4231.

If we had a normal manager who played wingers, its a nice problem to have.

However, we have a manager who doesnt play wingers, so we go out and buy a winger.

i dont know what we are doing."

im just confused.

18 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Unless Lange is working off a different list and a different plan….

20 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I’m guessing that’s what he does for game day tactics

This has panic signing all over it. Our manager has shit himself and decided to completely change our style of play after 3 games, and we're throwing good money after bad, supporting the fantasies of this charlatan. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I should be excited by this signing, I feel sorry for the kid.  I’m just not excited probably because it’s not a priority position needed, we don’t play with wingers like he plays and then the general depression about Villa performances lowering my mood.

Welcome Sarr. I really wanted to sign Sarr under Smith when we player 2 wide players every week so I am happy with the player, but it seems like a really odd choice for our current set up. Does he replace / rotate with Bailey or will we start playing wingers again with Phil/Emi stepping back into midfield? Puzzling 🫤

Edited by mikeyjavfc

Â