Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

I think a big part of it is also likely down to parental issues over not letting their kids out of sight for a second.

So what if you need to do something for an hour, kids are robust and can handle falling over, falling out of trees and to be bored for 1 hour. If they can't handle that then they need more of it to learn how to entertain themselves. The dopamine hit tv and pad society is in my opinion seriously hindering mental development, and several well known studies back that up, that's why we've been asked to reduce it by health officials.

Effects of Excessive Screen Time on Child Development: An Updated Review and Strategies for Management

Excessive screen usage can also lead to problems in social-emotional development, including obesity, sleep disturbances, depression, and anxiety. It can impair emotional comprehension, promote aggressive behavior, and hinder social and emotional competence.

Parents play a crucial role in managing and reducing screen time by raising awareness, setting boundaries, and providing behavioral controls. Parental limitations and the absence of screens in bedrooms have been found to significantly reduce screen usage. Parents should also set an example by managing their own screen time. Overall, it is important for caregivers, educators, and healthcare professionals to understand the potential risks of excessive screen usage and implement strategies to promote healthy development in children, including alternative activities that foster cognitive, linguistic, and social-emotional skills.

Associations between screen time and lower psychological well-being among children and adolescents: Evidence from a population-based study

Fig. 3

Percentage not curious or interested in learning new things, by age and level of screen time, with controls, U.S., 2016.

I wonder what people think parents did back in the day when they needed to do something, we really didn't put the kids in a coma with an iPad.. Considering the above was done in 2016, before the advent of many of the short clip dopamine ¤#% on youtube atm I can't imagine it's gotten any better..

I probably sound grumpy again, but I'm honestly worried that kids get ADHD-diagnosed because they're acting out over screen time. If I was a psychologist looking at my granddaughter when she's protesting after my daughter takes her iPad away I'd probably stick that label on very fast. It's frightening.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I agree, we had things like Power Rangers, Pokémon, Ninja Turtles which were all that same sort of thing. 

But those shows didn't do what the kids shows do these days, open up a ninja turtles episode and see how long a scene is, it's likely 10 times longer than what it is today. That was likely due to production cost and people having to actually draw the turtles, but now it's a completely different beast.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

We've made the call that our son won't have any screen time (video calls aside) until he's 2. I would be a bit more flexible on it but my wife was quite serious about it.

We'll see what sort of impact it has.

I remember deciding that as well. 

Didn't work :D 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I think the big difference is patience and attention span. 

This has changed massively in my years as a teacher. 

I would sit and watch TV for hours as a kid but I had to watch what was on and sit through adverts and wait for the shows I wanted. 

Now it's instant demand. My kids can't even sit through 6 seconds of a bluey intro and have to press the skip intro button. 

My kids aren't on YouTube but on there you just keep swiping up until you've found the 15 second video that grabs your attention. 

Yeah that bit does annoy me, as said above. And I notice that change in myself as well to be honest, my patience is far worse than it used to be when it comes to media. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I know they didn’t have those things, but their entertainment (whatever it was) was focussed on <something>. When kids (or we, whoever) watch a cartoon or programme, their (our) mind is focussed on that thing that they’re watching. So whilst it’s a different “thing”, the behaviour is the same.

With the “quick flick” dopamine hit stuff, that behaviour is not the same. There’s a lack of focus, it’s a shift to the next thing because you can and “need to”. That isn’t the same as parents not having TV but then kids having TV, it’s an entire change in how the mind is settling on something.

It may not be a problem but given what I see in myself and other adults a lack of focus is becoming a real issue. To the point now where I’m working, but replying on a forum because I can and it’s there.

This sort of thing is just going to be exacerbated if kids are picking it up. It may be inevitable, it might not even be an issue, but I think it’s a very different beast from “we had cartoons and we turned out fine” - and that’s ignoring things such as the (potentially scary) rabbit holes that algorithms will send kids down. 

Yeah I do agree with that. I see it in my own behaviour as well.

But like I said I'm sure older generations said that about us. It's not quite the same but they said the same about having hundreds of channels on satellite TV, for example, as opposed to having 3 terrestrial channels. That you had that much TV at your fingertips compared to what they had. It's not exactly the same but it's the same ball park. 

I guess it's just the same behaviour but worse. 

But i do still think it's the standard generational thing of moaning about the new way of behaving. I don't think it's going to be detrimental to our kids. They're not going to grow up as a "worse" generation because they use YouTube more than we do. They'll grow up the same but with different experiences. It's just the way the world works

Edited by Stevo985

My  year old grandson loves watching somone playing and commentating on some Mario game or something similar on the telly or tablet via YouTube.

I cannot get my head around it, I would much rather play the effing game than passively just sit and watch somone else...what's all that about?

24 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I think a big part of it is also likely down to parental issues over not letting their kids out of sight for a second.

So what if you need to do something for an hour, kids are robust and can handle falling over, falling out of trees and to be bored for 1 hour. If they can't handle that then they need more of it to learn how to entertain themselves. The dopamine hit tv and pad society is in my opinion seriously hindering mental development, and several well known studies back that up, that's why we've been asked to reduce it by health officials.

Effects of Excessive Screen Time on Child Development: An Updated Review and Strategies for Management

Associations between screen time and lower psychological well-being among children and adolescents: Evidence from a population-based study

I wonder what people think parents did back in the day when they needed to do something, we really didn't put the kids in a coma with an iPad.. Considering the above was done in 2016, before the advent of many of the short clip dopamine ¤#% on youtube atm I can't imagine it's gotten any better..

I probably sound grumpy again, but I'm honestly worried that kids get ADHD-diagnosed because they're acting out over screen time. If I was a psychologist looking at my granddaughter when she's protesting after my daughter takes her iPad away I'd probably stick that label on very fast. It's frightening.

You got sat in front of the TV and told to watch Cartoon Network for an hour

2 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I cannot get my head around it, I would much rather play the effing game than passively just sit and watch somone else...what's all that about?

Do you watch football?

When my kids were younger it was Thomas the Tank Engine narrated by Ringo.....and Wind in the Willows narrated by David Jason, these episodes were genuinely very funny. Not forgetting Sesame Street of course...

In my day it was the clangers, magic roundabout, Thunderbirds and stingray.

Today's kids stuff is total rubbish in comparison, as mentioned on this thread, some of it is very disturbing, odd, and strange stuff that kids watch. I am sure the program makers were/are on drugs.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You got sat in front of the TV and told to watch Cartoon Network for an hour

You're just going to ignore the evidenced produced with a massive number of kids, that says that it is detrimental to kids development? The issue isn't that you were put in front of a TV for an hour, it's both what is on the TV\iPad now a days and how many hours are being consumed.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Do you watch football?

I used to and would still love to, but at nearly 66, my high speed bursts down the wing, beating 2 defenders, cutting inside to deliver an inch perfect shot into the top corner of net......are well gone.....!

2 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

When my kids were younger it was Thomas the Tank Engine narrated by Ringo.....and Wind in the Willows narrated by David Jason, these episodes were genuinely very funny. Not forgetting Sesame Street of course...

Today's kids stuff is total rubbish in comparison, as mentioned on this thread, some of it is very disturbing, odd, and strange stuff that kids watch. I am sure the program makers were/are on drugs.

They're just acutely aware of what keeps the kids in the loop tbh. Short, fast paced content with lots of colours likely to engage dopamine receptors and keep the kids hooked. It was incredibly hard to produce before but with the advent of much more automated production software it's essentially all that's going on atm.

1 minute ago, delboy54 said:

I used to and would still love to, but at nearly 66, my high speed bursts down the wing, beating 2 defenders, cutting inside to deliver an inch perfect shot into the top corner of net......are well gone.....!

Point I was making is people watch sport when we could just go and play the game ourselves. I'm watching snooker at the moment. I don't play it. But I could. So why do I watch it?

Same thing goes for video games. There's entertainment in watching people play things even if you could play it yourselves. Either because you're watching people who are FAR better than you play it (again just in the same way we watch premier league football) or because the people playing it are entertaining

6 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I can't believe you've mentioned the magic roundabout as a good show in your day, and then moaned about program creators these days being on drugs :) 

Kids TV shows these days aren't worse than they were in your era. In fact most of the big ones like Bluey or Peppa etc are far better. You just didn't grow up watching them.

Every generation will remember the programs they used to watch as great TV shows, and think the new shows that kids watch now are crap.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Wind in the Willows narrated by David Jason 

<pedant>

No narration on TWITW. David Jason voiced Mr Toad (his finest role, imho). 

</pedant> 

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

<pedant>

No narration on TWITW. David Jason voiced Mr Toad (his finest role, imho). 

</pedant> 

Of course! (Been a while since I saw an episode!)

You are right about David Jason, you get the impression that he really enjoyed himself. I think he did other characters as well, such as the weasels...

I have the full boxed set on DVD somewhere...

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

you're obviously not meaning Bluey with that comment there, bluey is as good as any cartoon I've ever watched, if I say previously the futurama 8 leaf clover episode is peak emotional reaction to animated tv then bluey has topped that about 5 times

same as everything now there a whole lot of everything so to make that kind of sweeping statement is wrong, there's a hell of a lot of shit out there but there's some brilliant stuff too, doc mcstuffin mentioned a page back is good, paw patrol even though its owned by a toys company is good, peppa pig is ok

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm adamant that watching TV with the subtitles on has helped my boy with his reading/spelling over the years. I have them on for every movie we've watched together.

Also, I think certain video games can help with a child's intelligence, like platformer games or games where you have to solve puzzles. I've always let me kids have tablet/TV time but there's very rarely been a day where we haven't done some sort of outdoor activity.

I've definitely lost my daughter to her phone/tablet now though, she's 12 and will just stay in her room all day talking to her friends. At least she's happy..

Edited by villarule123

Â