Worse places to be..

bielesibub

I first visited Clovelly with my parents in the early 1960s. Beautiful unspoilt Devon fishing village. Went there again on my honeymoon in 1982. Couldn't believe what I saw. Yes, the cobbled street was much the same, but at the top of the village was a massive car park, and you could only get in by buying a ticket in the glass-walled visitor centre, through the turnstiles and the gift shop. I could have cried. God only knows what it's like now. 

On 30/06/2022 at 21:39, mjmooney said:

I first visited Clovelly with my parents in the early 1960s. Beautiful unspoilt Devon fishing village. Went there again on my honeymoon in 1982. Couldn't believe what I saw. Yes, the cobbled street was much the same, but at the top of the village was a massive car park, and you could only get in by buying a ticket in the glass-walled visitor centre, through the turnstiles and the gift shop. I could have cried. God only knows what it's like now. 

It’s just up the road from where I grew up and was considered as our wedding venue. It's very much thr same as it was 30 years ago and that's due to the car park/visitor centre which generates money for the (privately owned) village which helps preserve the aesthetic. Still has the cobbled streets and donkey's as the car park stops people being able to drive into the village and the single road that loops behind the village and down to the Quay but that's residents only and is kept secret to not spoil the look. 

11 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's a shame this thread got moved to the Travel section, I'd have thought it was more about memories and stories.  

I agree, don't think I intended this to be about travel as when I could walk I used to be able to easily walk to the spot on the Hamble.

• Like 1

Can't find a decent picture, but sat outside O'Sullivan's bar in Crookhaven in West Cork, drinking a Murphy's and looking out into the bay. 

AF1QipPLxdt23JGoEAjKSAfSkG5G8Zoa9nx0xjdD

Just a tiny village on the edge of nowhere. They have tables right on the edge of the water. More than once I've watched dolphins in the bay while drinking my pint. That walrus that was knocking around the British Isles also rocked up here on his travels

You can see the pub by the mural on the wall here

focused_225408164-stock-photo-scenic-vie

And this is where the village is

43076087_2108974302455678_11628009773596

The edge of the world

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/07/2022 at 09:31, Stevo985 said:

Can't find a decent picture, but sat outside O'Sullivan's bar in Crookhaven in West Cork, drinking a Murphy's and looking out into the bay. 

AF1QipPLxdt23JGoEAjKSAfSkG5G8Zoa9nx0xjdD

Just a tiny village on the edge of nowhere. They have tables right on the edge of the water. More than once I've watched dolphins in the bay while drinking my pint. That walrus that was knocking around the British Isles also rocked up here on his travels

You can see the pub by the mural on the wall here

focused_225408164-stock-photo-scenic-vie

And this is where the village is

43076087_2108974302455678_11628009773596

The edge of the world

Today

8-D32-F835-5-ECB-4-DFD-8-B27-B870-E03-EB

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Sat with my son after a football match up in Petersfield.  Sat in the car, next to a slipway on the A27 looking down Portsmouth Harbour on 08/10/2022.

Sunny. Love looking at the water, maybe I should've joined the Navy instead of IBM.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Â