Starfield

hogso

It now seems like almost every outlet in the UK didn't receive code, so it might simply be a case of Bethesda UK messing up in a big way. 

It would definitely make more sense for it to be a mistake given every US outlet got review code.

What I don't understand is why UK outlets chose now to speak up when they've had 2-weeks since US based reviewers started mentioning they got review code. 

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Nothing to do with a recent court case?

Edit - the embargo is up 5pm Thursday

Doesn't appear to be anything to do with Microsoft, it's purely from Bethesda. Very odd, I don't suppose you can rule out the court case, but it doesn't appear to be the reason. 

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

126GB free download on gamepass, as soon as the 65GB COD update has finished then I'll start it.

No doubt the day one patch will be another 40 or 50GB

The day one patch was released yesterday. It was 15GB or something, but if you're downloading the game today then the day one patch will be included I imagine. 

• Like 1

It doesn't look bad exactly, but there does appear to be a big difference between the pretty bits and the ugly bits, some of those tree textures I've seen in the city environs, yeesh. 

The good news though is that the delays to it's release seem to have allowed them to iron out any bugs, and there don't appear to be any major issues in that regard.

I really hope it's a better game than say 6/10 as I love Bethesda's games. Well, I used to...

Metacritic has it scoring at an 88 at the moment, which is way better than what I expected at day one, although certainly not the ground breaking must buy that would sway me to buy an Xbox console as suggested above

Started Starfield -- just so tediously boring, I gave up within about 60 minutes. Space feels like it lacks atmosphere and mood somehow. Fairly humourless and self-serious, too. In games such as Subnautica, you actually feel weirdly alone -- in a good way -- as if you're really immersed in a different and complete reality. Starfield just feels very stock and predictable so far. The characters and creatures and "pirates" --- seriously, pirates? -- seem overly familiar, like I've seen a million times before.  Maybe I'm just too old for this, but I would think younger people might be even more turned off. I will try it a little more, but life is short, you know? I think the overall approach lacks originality or quirkiness. The word "soulless" comes to mind, and also the cliche "not any greater than the sum of its parts." The much touted "1,000 planets to explore" may end up changing my mind, but so far, if it's just 1,000X more of this, I'd rather more creative quality than quantity. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

It sounds very Bethesda to me... Sometimes it clicks but often imo it doesn't, fallout 3 did and I put 100+ hours in, fallout 4 and skyrim didn't

The crazy thing for me listening to TCGS podcast was how they described space travel, this isn't like no man's sky where you fly around yourself? Sounded like plotting things and loading screens rather than ship flying gameplay, they said that takes away the whole "oooh what's that over there" aspect that makes Bethesda games good in the first place

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

It sounds very Bethesda to me... Sometimes it clicks but often imo it doesn't, fallout 3 did and I put 100+ hours in, fallout 4 and skyrim didn't

The crazy thing for me listening to TCGS podcast was how they described space travel, this isn't like no man's sky where you fly around yourself? Sounded like plotting things and loading screens rather than ship flying gameplay, they said that takes away the whole "oooh what's that over there" aspect that makes Bethesda games good in the first place

I think that's accurate. Early days, but it does have a similar structure somehow. I'll post if I find it opens up for me. Felt tedious. Do I really want to go into the storage room of that "research station" and open all the drawers and boxes and containers so I can learn how to make a cheese sandwich or something? 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

The game runs crap on my PC (just about scrapes 60fps on low settings). It appears to be really badly optimised for PCs. I think I'm going to wait until I upgrade or when the game has had a few patches before I play it properly. 

The structure of this ruins it.

The delight of Skyrim was it going after half an hour's tutorial story set up, 'here's a world. Go'. Most people then followed the main plot for a few hours until they got the most of the abilities unlocked, and then it becomes a playground with cool and interesting stuff all over the shop.

This? You don't get that feeling, because you just constantly are **** about in menus. It gives you a universe but the way they've achieved that is like a step away from loading levels up. You follow objectives through menus (the objective is on Mars, select Mars, spend a minute in Mars, objective moves to Venus, go to menu select Venus...), there's too much inventory pissing about. I don't feel like I can wander off and stumble on a story or an interesting thing.

A crushing disappointment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

The game runs crap on my PC (just about scrapes 60fps on low settings). It appears to be really badly optimised for PCs. I think I'm going to wait until I upgrade or when the game has had a few patches before I play it properly. 

Depends if you're AMD or not it seems. If you are, you're much more likely to get it running well. 

15 minutes ago, hogso said:

Depends if you're AMD or not it seems. If you are, you're much more likely to get it running well. 

I am AMD, 5700 xt. I've read that because of the deal they made with AMD they've not added a lot of NVIDIA card features.. yuck

I think waiting a month or two would be best for a game like this and there will be loads of mods available. 

Â