Have you ever been Scammed?

maqroll

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah you're right to be cautious - the sender on an SMS is easily spoofed, there's no reason at all to think. SMS should be treated as even less trustworthy as emails, so it's good to be incredibly sceptical of any request or link sent in them.

In this case though I think you're probably right, I can't think of an obvious use for a fake OTP, so it was probably a real one they were trying to trick you into using. Most companies at least put a "don't share this code" message in the OTP message now but it still works on some people presumably

Yes these text messages I received came complete with this warning, saying if anyone speaks to you on the phone don’t tell them the code. Which leads to believe they are genuine O2 texts. 

Any doubt I had was caused because I receive what appear to be other genuine texts from O2 (priority tickets) where the sender reads “O2UK”, whereas yesterday it was “O2 UK” (no space in one, space in the other). Now it may just be the security side of O2 identify themselves one way and the promotional side label themselves differently. 

I suppose the difference only heightened  my suspicion.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

52 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I bought a copy of Ghostbusters AND Ghostbusters 2 on VHS back in the day from one of the shops in Shrewsbury. Not 2 VHS tapes but both films on one tape back to back. Half way through Ghostbusters two the tape ran out, the machine stopped, it started to rewind itself and we didn't find out what happened to the painting dude. :D

Still have it in a box somewhere

As a kid, summoned up all my powers of self confidence to march in to a non branded local newsagent and purchase a hobby magazine with a free VHS attached.

The content of the video was very much less exciting than the magazine title and description and picture on the cover had suggested.

Didn’t take it back.

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

As a kid, summoned up all my powers of self confidence to march in to a non branded local newsagent and purchase a hobby magazine with a free VHS attached.

The content of the video was very much less exciting than the magazine title and description and picture on the cover had suggested.

Didn’t take it back.

Post Card Collector magazine, VHS being "100 John Hinde Postcards You Must Own"?

• Like 1

Had a call a few weeks ago pretending to be from the bank. Knew my name, postcode and last 3 digits of my account. I recognised it was a scam very quickly and when he read back the last 3 transactions that I knew were wrong I hung up. I happened to be stood outside my bank so went into confirm it was a scam. 

Later that day I got the exact same call again and I immediately called them out as scammers. Their tone changed straight away and immediately went to threats. They then txt me my name, phone number and home address and told me I had until the end of the day to call a number they gave me and to make payment or there would be severe consequences. 

That was in April and haven't heard from them since. 

14 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

Had a call a few weeks ago pretending to be from the bank. Knew my name, postcode and last 3 digits of my account. I recognised it was a scam very quickly and when he read back the last 3 transactions that I knew were wrong I hung up. I happened to be stood outside my bank so went into confirm it was a scam. 

Later that day I got the exact same call again and I immediately called them out as scammers. Their tone changed straight away and immediately went to threats. They then txt me my name, phone number and home address and told me I had until the end of the day to call a number they gave me and to make payment or there would be severe consequences. 

That was in April and haven't heard from them since. 

They’ve sent a parcel bomb, but used Evri.

• Haha 2

On 25/05/2023 at 13:33, mrchnry said:

Their tone changed straight away and immediately went to threats. They then txt me my name, phone number and home address and told me I had until the end of the day to call a number they gave me and to make payment or there would be severe consequences.

Standard Santander customer service. 

I grew up in Wolverhampton in the 1970s.  At Junior school I was the only Villa Fan.  Everyone supported Wolves or Liverpool.  

Playground football often involved Wolves V Liverpool. The sides were even and I was in high demand as a “loan signing”.  But it didn’t feel right playing for either side.  I received many contractural offers, mainly in the form of tuck shop goods.  One day a kid offered me the biggest bag of chocolate buttons I had ever seen in my life.  I was very tempted but still held out. 

The following day the headmaster called an assembly.  Someone from our school had been stealing dog chocolates from the nearby pet shop. 

I almost signed for Wolves in return for stolen dog treats. 😁

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Speeling mishsteaks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â