Colin Gibson

sheepyvillian

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm gutted to hear that one of our finest left - backs, Gibbo, has been diagnosed with dementia. 

He was such a classy left - back with a hell of a shot on him. I remember him doing a fine job marking Johan Cruyff in the UEFA Cup against Barcelona. 

I just hope he gets the care he deserves. 

what sad news.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

WTF - he can't be that old ? ....early 60s ???

I know bitter experience with my mom what an awful disease this is.

62 its crazy, I was going to assume it happened from heading the ball but I am not sure it was the case. Still horribly sad

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

62 its crazy, I was going to assume it happened from heading the ball but I am not sure it was the case. Still horribly sad

Apparently, it was with Dawn Astles blessing that Gibbo came out with the statement yesterday. So, from that,  one has to assume that the evidence suggests  the dementia is linked to constant heading of a football 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Apparently, it was with Dawn Astles blessing that Gibbo came out with the statement yesterday. So, from that,  one has to assume that the evidence suggests that the dementia is linked to constant heading of a football 

Terribly sad news. There was a study done recently (I think at Glasgow University) which suggested that it is also not just confined to the 'old style' football. This would seem to tie in with this.

That's awful news. Alex Cropley, Chris Nichol, Gordon, Dixie and now Colin. Before them HEITS, Johnny Dixon, Pat Saward, Stan Lynn, Peter Aldis and Mike Tindall, along with our former managers, Joe Mercer, Billy McNeill and Ron Saunders. Such a cruel illness, my thoughts are with Colin and his family, as they do battle with this. 

image.jpeg.c155d810cfbd0f34a21e02329b787bae.jpeg image.jpeg.4ef6881ba45088f5f6ed4d2acc0e6e65.jpeg image.jpeg.8e41fff9c0966f20fa56c609c6045552.jpeg

Edited by John
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, villan_down_under said:

Come on Sheepy how about that diving header against Juve at Villa PArk

It's so crazy how you reminded me of that, because has I posted my initial comment,  I had a picture In my mind of Sid scoring with a diving header. I kid you not.

4 hours ago, John said:

That's awful news. Alex Cropley, Chris Nichol, Gordon, Dixie and now Colin. Before them HEITS, Johnny Dixon, Pat Saward, Stan Lynn, Peter Aldis and Mike Tindall, along with our former managers, Joe Mercer, Billy McNeill and Ron Saunders. Such a cruel illness, my thoughts are with Colin and his family, as they do battle with this. 

image.jpeg.c155d810cfbd0f34a21e02329b787bae.jpeg image.jpeg.4ef6881ba45088f5f6ed4d2acc0e6e65.jpeg image.jpeg.8e41fff9c0966f20fa56c609c6045552.jpeg

Sorry didnt read your post before writing mine. Forgot about Dixie.  A great shame. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Sad news. I think Gordon Cowans is also suffering too. 

11 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't even remember Sid heading a ball. Very strange.

Sid has got Alzheimer's. 

Alzheimer's is a disease - don't imagine it has got anything to do with football.
Dementia is a condition, which can be caused by head trauma. It breaks my heart to see my Dad suffering through it, and the effects it's having on my mom and the rest of the family.

Both are **** horrible.
Sending love to both players and families, and to all those dealing with this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

Sid has got Alzheimer's. 

Alzheimer's is a disease - don't imagine it has got anything to do with football.
Dementia is a condition, which can be caused by head trauma. It breaks my heart to see my Dad suffering through it, and the effects it's having on my mom and the rest of the family.

Both are **** horrible.

Ok. Hearbreaking, either way. 

• Like 1

I've no idea if heading a ball is connected as both my folks had dementia and neither of them ever headed a ball.

I'd totally support further research though as any possibility of a connection should be investigated.

Personally,  it's one of the worst illnesses I've ever seen. The speed of change from normality to despair is frightening and my heart goes out to anyone affected by it.

3 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

Sid has got Alzheimer's. 

Both are **** horrible.

I feel your pain, its an awful condition. Support is sporadic and it almost depends on your postcode. Like most things, If you don't ask you don't get. I feel weird putting this on a football forum but if you are struggling let me know

Edited by Talldarkandransome
Amended
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry for anybody who has dementia or has family members who have it. I know what its like to live with a person with it.. Its the age the ex footballers are getting it which makes me think there must be a connection. Early 60s is not the norm is it?  

• Like 2

Â