Colin Gibson

sheepyvillian

Jeff Astle's daughter Dawn, has done a lot of work on the subject and a neuropathologist has said that the death of her father was due to a brain condition caused by heading footballs. A study in 2019 found that professional footballers are 3.5 times more likely to die from dementia than people of the same age range in the general population. It is cruel whoever gets it and at whatever age that it happens, but it does sadly seem there is a link between heading footballs repeatedly and the illness. I'm so sad to read that posters on this topic are currently seeing their own family members having to go through this and I know how this illness impacts on families from my own past experience.  My thoughts are with everyone who has been, or is currently being impacted by this horrible illness.  

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, John said:

Jeff Astle's daughter Dawn, has done a lot of work on the subject and a neuropathologist has said that the death of her father was due to a brain condition caused by heading footballs. A study in 2019 found that professional footballers are 3.5 times more likely to die from dementia than people of the same age range in the general population. It is cruel whoever gets it and at whatever age that it happens, but it does sadly seem there is a link between heading footballs repeatedly and the illness. I'm so sad to read that posters on this topic are currently seeing their own family members having to go through this and I know how this illness impacts on families from my own past experience.  My thoughts are with everyone who has been, or is currently being impacted by this horrible illness.  

Dawn Astle has done a remarkable job in recognising and bringing awareness of this cruel disease. My Mom, who never headed a football in her life, died of dementia, as did two very good friends of mine’s Moms. It’s not a good way to go and hopefully the work that Dawn has done and continues to do, will drive research and medical advances that will help sufferers and perhaps even one day find a cure. 

I think that dementia and Alzheimer’s  were up to quite recently, to some extent ignored almost as an embarrassment. If now and in the future, advances can be made in a similar way to cancer and heart disease over the last 50 years, then a lot of suffering can be alleviated. 

• Like 1

Â