The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

They can investigate them all they like but I doubt there is much they can do aside from naming and shaming. They are free to sell at whatever price they like.

Well yes and no. If they can prove collusion between supermarkets to say, artificially keep the price of fuel high then that would be considered to operating as a cartel and that is illegal.

But more generally, yep, it’s just a toothless sop to make it look like they are doing something. They won’t find anything

• Like 2

On 15/05/2023 at 19:04, Demitri_C said:

Supermarkets being investigated on food and fuel prices. Fuel they are definitely ripping us off.

They should fine them big and put the money towards the nhs

Super market fuel started to drop less than others again now. £1.45ish at Asda and Tesco. I guess they have made there profits keeping it high for 6 months.

Bit of a fiddle on this food pricing. My Mrs gets Gusto boxes now and again and there pricing hasn't changed at all. I guess supermarkets will start reducing in about 6 months like the fuel, just top up the shareholders dividends first.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Super market fuel started to drop less than others again now. £1.45ish at Asda and Tesco. I guess they have made there profits keeping it high for 6 months.

Bit of a fiddle on this food pricing. My Mrs gets Gusto boxes now and again and there pricing hasn't changed at all. I guess supermarkets will start reducing in about 6 months like the fuel, just top up the shareholders dividends first.

Still too high. My local dropped to 133.9pfor diesel and 134.9 for petrol a couple of days ago. Another couple of pence and it'll be under £6 a gallon

• Like 1

On 15/05/2023 at 13:21, bobzy said:

McDonald is the worst fast food (generally, chain wise) out there.  I'm surprised it's as popular as it is.

It was cheap. A double cheeseburger for a pound was great in my younger days. 

With the price increases I'm not sure why people would eat it now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

£2.88 a big mac meal, seemed not too long ago. £5.89 now, an that's not large, outrageous. Good job I don't eat it anymore.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Because there are still people now who are in their younger days?

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But its not cheap anymore. I think at that price there's other alternative options these days. 

Not really. Everything else has gone up stupidly too. 

It's still the cheapest fast food 

I do wonder with the cost of living crisis whether this will finally effect the english game? With city dominating and winning literally everything each year if people are going to stop putting their money in

Lets take villa as a example big ST increase this year, then you add the cost of sky tv virgin etc.  If people cant afford it and cancel these services/lose interest then it could have a knock on effect around england if other clubs experience the same.

Personally i think when the world is going through a cost of living crisis and your seeing the money being thrown around in PL it just stinks

Edited by Demitri_C

47 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I do wonder with the cost of living crisis whether this will finally effect the english game? With city dominating and winning literally everything each year if people are going to stop putting their money in

Lets take villa as a example big ST increase this year, then you add the cost of sky tv virgin etc.  If people cant afford it and cancel these services/lose interest then it could have a knock on effect around england if other clubs experience the same.

Personally i think when the world is going through a cost of living crisis and your seeing the money being thrown around in PL it just stinks

I’ve never understood why big clubs charge so much for tickets. Relatively speaking the income is minor but the importance of having happy fans, and in the ground is big. 

Aside from the state owned clubs it’s underpinned mainly by TV money. If that dries up then we’ll see a change in how much they spend. Even with a large percentage of people watching football via illegal streams now it doesn’t seem to have dented the amount broadcasters will pay to show matches.

on the price of a Mcdonalds meal these days - You can buy a fillet steak for £8 down the butchers.

It used to be cheap and quick. that was kinda the point. Now it's quite pricey and there are queues of vehicles lining up.

Mind you there's a few food places round here that have opened up charging £12+ for a burger - chips are an extra 3-5 quid. Seems crazy to me

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve never understood why big clubs charge so much for tickets. Relatively speaking the income is minor but the importance of having happy fans, and in the ground is big. 

Aside from the state owned clubs it’s underpinned mainly by TV money. If that dries up then we’ll see a change in how much they spend. Even with a large percentage of people watching football via illegal streams now it doesn’t seem to have dented the amount broadcasters will pay to show matches.

The thing is IPTV is getting veey popular now. No one knew about it years ago now everyone ia clocking on. When enough people start cancelling sky and virgin then they will do something.  Believe me they have tried blocking loads of times but ita so big now they always find a way to bring it back.

As for your point about ticketing pricing. Completely agree. I think people are feeling the pinch - if your atruggling to pay your bills for example the last thing your going to want to do is renew your season ticket at a football club.

My prediction is nothing changes and city continue to dominate people are just going to get fed up and turn to other things. I must admit as exciting as emery has been the realistic goal is we are not ever catching city. With everything going up its a struggle to even get to a few games this year. Petrol, food ticket prices train fares etc.

13 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

on the price of a Mcdonalds meal these days - You can buy a fillet steak for £8 down the butchers.

It used to be cheap and quick. that was kinda the point. Now it's quite pricey and there are queues of vehicles lining up.

Mind you there's a few food places round here that have opened up charging £12+ for a burger - chips are an extra 3-5 quid. Seems crazy to me

Why buy a burger when you can just make one yourself for half the price and the way you want it?!

Its like goung 5 guys and spending £20 on a burger and chips. Its a rip off and it isnt that great

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I wondered if that's what 5 guys was all about. That's what these people are copying

Its a pretty standard burger but you choose what you wnat it eg grillwd onions mushrooms etc yet it costs you around £13. Add chips and a drink your looking over £20.

One has opened near me i thought it would do well but its always mostly empty.  (Its also next door to my gym which makes absolutely no sense)

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its a pretty standard burger but you choose what you wnat it eg grillwd onions mushrooms etc yet it costs you around £13. Add chips and a drink your looking over £20.

One has opened near me i thought it would do well but its always mostly empty.  (Its also next door to my gym which makes absolutely no sense)

£20 wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for the fact I have to multiply the cost of everything I buy by 4 for the rest of the family. The children are now eating full sized meals.

We went to a local pub for a meal the other day, just under £60 for 4 normal meals and 4 pepsi’s (no starters, no desserts).

We used to eat out a lot but it’s just so expensive now. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I tried Five Guys a while back. can't afford to eat there much. 

I was quite disappointed after the hype to find it was a standard burger, no bells or whistles, and standard fries. 

Then I tried it, and I have to admit it was a fantastic tasting standard burger and fries. Right up there. Not sure it's worth the money you pay, but the standard is (or at least was in the joint I went to) excellent.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I tried Five Guys a while back. can't afford to eat there much. 

I was quite disappointed after the hype to find it was a standard burger, no bells or whistles, and standard fries. 

Then I tried it, and I have to admit it was a fantastic tasting standard burger and fries. Right up there. Not sure it's worth the money you pay, but the standard is (or at least was in the joint I went to) excellent.

I think 5 Guys is the biggest rip off going.

The fries are pretty good and the burger is a bit better than standard but not for the price, nowhere near worth the price.

Â