Robot Vacuums

choffer

Anyone got one?

I've been given a gift voucher from work and am thinking of using it for something entirely unnecessary but vaguely useful. Other than spending some money on more Hi-Fi gear, I'm all out of ideas.

I live in a flat that is most hard wood flooring so it shows up dust and dirt to a ridiculous level so I'm thinking I could do with a Roomba or something similar.

Anyone got any suggestions or should I post this on mumsnet? 

I bought a DEEBOT N79S in the Amazon Black Friday sales last year. It works really well and is pretty good at staying on track when the parameters are set. The return to home feature is pretty cool as well, where it takes itself back to its little docking station to recharge. We primarily use it on our tiled floor, but it can go over carpet with ease. You can get models that clean hard floors in the process, but you will be paying more for that feature. 

It is a gimmick, but I got it to treat myself and satisfy my curiosity with them. It’s nowhere near as powerful as a handheld, but when it comes to emptying out the dust compartment I’m always surprised by what it has actually picked up! 

• Like 1

We've got one due to the other half having mobility issues so she struggled with a full size vac.  Use it every day,  we have to dogs and the dust compartment gets full fairly quick but other than that it's brilliant.   Think it's made by Deenko or someone similar. 

On 15/02/2022 at 07:57, Tayls said:

I bought a DEEBOT N79S in the Amazon Black Friday sales last year. It works really well and is pretty good at staying on track when the parameters are set. The return to home feature is pretty cool as well, where it takes itself back to its little docking station to recharge. We primarily use it on our tiled floor, but it can go over carpet with ease. You can get models that clean hard floors in the process, but you will be paying more for that feature. 

It is a gimmick, but I got it to treat myself and satisfy my curiosity with them. It’s nowhere near as powerful as a handheld, but when it comes to emptying out the dust compartment I’m always surprised by what it has actually picked up! 

where does it sit when not in use? Does it need a spare corner of the room for its 'bedroom'?

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

where does it sit when not in use? Does it need a spare corner of the room for its 'bedroom'?

Pretty much! We keep it in the utility area on charge but you can just as easily pop it away completely if you didn’t want to leave it on show.
We choose to keep it out because my daughter likes to place her teddies on top of it and send it on its way, so I can occasionally look across the floor to see this circular robot carrying a random toy cat or something similar. Quite amusing actually.  

We’ve got a Eufy, can’t remember how much it was but it wasn’t expensive. Best thing we ever purchased. We’ve got ceramic floors downstairs and we haven’t had to use the big vac in 12 months. 

Ask Alexa to turn it on when we go to bed and it’s all done by morning. The cats aren’t too keen though.

On 21/02/2022 at 21:16, jim said:

We’ve got a Eufy, can’t remember how much it was but it wasn’t expensive. Best thing we ever purchased. We’ve got ceramic floors downstairs and we haven’t had to use the big vac in 12 months. 

Ask Alexa to turn it on when we go to bed and it’s all done by morning. The cats aren’t too keen though.

We've got a Robovac too. Brilliant piece of kit. Like you, we get Google to send it to work and it does its job then returns to base. Perfect.

@colhint Sorry to read that, mate. Apologies if I've missed you talking about it elsewhere.

• 1 year later...

I think I’m going to go for it and order one. My mate said don’t buy a cheapo one and get a decent one. The iRobot ones look good but a bit expensive, Eufy and some other brands look more affordable, but is the iRobot worth the extra? 

Edited by alreadyexists

We've had a Eufy one for about 3 years now. It's been really good. We bought one that you can activate via Google Home, but not the spec where it remembers where it's been and where it hasn't.

Ideal after dinner to let it roam around the kitchen and clean up whatever the kids dropped and the dog didn't fancy.

• Thanks 1

Our Eufy is still going strong also, had to replace a couple of brushes but that's it in 3/4 years, battery doesn't last as long but it just goes back to its base to charge then sets on its way again.

• Thanks 1

On 15/02/2022 at 07:57, Tayls said:

We bought one about 18 months ago but as we were having building work done it stayed in the box. Got it out about 4 months ago and simply cannot get it to connect to our wifi as it doesnt support 5ghz and Google wifi doesn't allow you to split the bands. I keep meaning to try it again but haven't found the time tbh.

Â