Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Suppose the difference is Gomez came through at Barca and Dortmund as an attacking midfielder and has shone so much in Anderlecht as a left back in a poor league.

Technically he will be superior, for sure. But doing it in a poor league it may well be his defending is very poor and he wouldn't translate to a PL fullback. He may be fantastic and he certainly sounds the most exciting of the two. But he could just as easily be a Kamikaze fullback who can't defend, able to smash the Belgian league in offense just as Samatta and Wesley have before as strikers.

Merlin however plays in a Top 5 league (albeit the worst of the 5) and has had decent stats out of it and OK attacking output. It's more obvious that you can compare his experience to Villa (Guilbert etc).

I've never seen either play, as a backup to someone like Digne, we can take a bit of a risk. I'd be more confident in Merlin stepping in but more excited for the potential of Gomez.

As a luxury backup, I'd not be much bothered either way and nice to see us looking at progressive, young options

Was wondering if he was the same Gomez who was a hot prospect at Barca and Dortmund a few years ago. Seems like a strange one to go from attacking midfield to left back. I’d have some concerns to be honest especially if he was only recently sold by Dortmund who have a good record of promoting youth players. Sometimes these la masia graduates just shuffle round the various European leagues living off the Barcelona name on their CV. There was one guy Halilovic who was apparently one of the best prospects around at one point.. he ended up at Small Heath!! 

Edited by david-avfc

6 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Was wondering if he was the same Gomez who was a hot prospect at Barca and Dortmund a few years ago. Seems like a strange one to go from attacking midfield to left back. I’d have some concerns to be honest especially if he was only recently sold by Dortmund who have a good record of promoting youth players. Sometimes these la masia graduates just shuffle round the various European leagues living off the Barcelona name on their CV. There was one guy Halilovic who was apparently one of the best prospects around at one point.. he ended up at Small Heath!! 

That is what scouts are for, I have never seen Gomez play just the stats.

Wouldn't discount the Yannick Carrasco links entirely. He was playing more of a wingback/left-sided midfielder role as the season progressed. Don't think it's likely, but if we're looking at him, it might not be to play as a forward.

9 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Wouldn't discount the Yannick Carrasco links entirely. He was playing more of a wingback/left-sided midfielder role as the season progressed. Don't think it's likely, but if we're looking at him, it might not be to play as a forward.

So you are saying we may bring him in to replace Digne? That is even more fanciful 

Just now, paul514 said:

So you are saying we may bring him in to replace Digne? That is even more fanciful 

I'm saying we may be bringing him in to play more of a midfield role. But I also said I don't think it's likely. Was merely pointing out he isn't an outright winger these days.

Just now, paul514 said:

He has played there 25 times, almost all as an international game or a youth player.... https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/oleksandr-zinchenko/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/203853/saison/ges/pos/7

Watched him against Scotland and again tonight against Wales, really seems to suit the CM role. Unlikely anyway. 

14 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

If he’s available I’d like us to look at Zinchenko as a CM option.

He’d be an interesting option if the price is right, his versatility would be helpful to the squad as he could provide cover for left back whilst also competing for a midfield place too. I guess the question is whether he’s actually good enough to be a PL midfielder, as he’s not really been tested much there in the league, international football is a bit different and it’s common for players to be shifted into different positions for their national sides (Alaba in attacking midfield for Switzerland is an example which comes to mind)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Neco Williams anyone? Left sided and had a good season at Fulham. Probably doubts about how he'd do in prem but one we could have as backup to Digne and develop over a couple of seasons.

Isn't he the highly rated Liverpool youth player?

38 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Neco Williams anyone? Left sided and had a good season at Fulham. Probably doubts about how he'd do in prem but one we could have as backup to Digne and develop over a couple of seasons.

No

1 hour ago, Zero7 said:

Bale on a pay as you play contract 

and No

44 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

If he’s available I’d like us to look at Zinchenko as a CM option.

and No again