Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

9 hours ago, Villa87 said:

One of the single worst performances I can remember seeing from a Villa player. He is absolute dross. 

Agree on the performance but don't think it defines the player. He isn't a RB, end of. Never want to see him there again. 3 in the back CB or stop gap DM maybe but that's it.

17 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I think your view of 'defenders are there to defend' and 'defensive midfielders are there to win the ball back' is a little outdated if I'm honest.

I think you might be missing a trick.

I watch other football teams, not just Villa.....and I see it......I see good defending, I see players winning the ball,  I know what it looks like.

just as one random example.....are you telling me Botman and Schar, are not there for defending.

I think your interpretation of what I am saying is convoluted.

I am well aware of the allegedly new trend, of playing out from the back, however, its nothing new, its been done before....but it is not a substitute for good defending....it should be an addition.

Teams have to defend, and some players are more dedicated to it.....if they also have good passing skills all the better, but their priority task, cannot be sacrificed.

Someone in a football team has to have the responsibility to defend first....if they can do other things, fine, but not to the detriment of their prime task.

If we don't do that, we are in for some topsy turvy games.

I think your comments are more or less saying, or alluding to ,defending is outdated.....best of luck with that.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Agree on the performance but don't think it defines the player. He isn't a RB, end of. Never want to see him there again. 3 in the back CB or stop gap DM maybe but that's it.

My understanding is...Unai sees him as a right back or midfielder, not a CB

Make of that, what you will.

Personally, the last display, would suggest he just isn't a defender,full stop, unless its a low block, as harsh as that may seem.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 21/09/2023 at 20:26, DJBOB said:

Just reminded me of the United cup game. He can not play in transition. At a low block to see out the game as part of the lead - that's fine.

But he is a horror show in the open field and contributed to all 3 goals and countless more attacks by Legia.

This was the one transfer that I thought was baffling we didn't complete. We can not expect Cash to play 50 games at RB. Maybe if Diego comes back then Konsa can take some spells, but it's hardly an ideal solution.

sadly, he's not the only one.

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think your comments are more or less saying, or alluding to ,defending is outdated.....best of luck with that.

Amazed you've taken my comments to be as simplistic as that. I cba to debate it tbh.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Amazed you've taken my comments to be as simplistic as that. I cba to debate it tbh.

maybe my powers of interpretation, are no better than yours.

whatever, they are we seem to struggle to get our intended points over to each other.....c'est la vie.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he was good enough for cover at the time we signed him on a free but we’ve pushed on since. He will have to be involved and play his part this season but it’s an area I’m sure Emery will be looking to strengthen. 

He is 5th choice centre back, its like the back up keeper. We probably arent getting a better alternate

17 hours ago, villaglint said:

I think main problem with Chambers is he needs to be playing consistently. 

When he does that he can be a relatively solid pair of hands. Not great by any means but as other have said he is a lower PL/upper Championship standard player. Not a trainwreck like Olsen. 

However when he comes in for the odd game once every few months he does look awful and seems to make mistake after mistake. Later in game he looked like someone who's confidence had fully gone and he wanted to be taken off. 

He doesnt suit being a backup at all in my view. If I was him I'd be doing everything I could to make a move elsewhere work for all parties. 

Yeah when he signed first he was actually pretty good for us. Problem is he plays so infrequently he’s permanently trying to work off the rust but I can’t see him getting regular minutes so it’s not really a situation that’s going to be resolved. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He is 5th choice centre back, its like the back up keeper. We probably arent getting a better alternate

That’s fine if he is kept for that position or even for defensive midfield. He’s no right back. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

35 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s fine if he is kept for that position or even for defensive midfield. He’s no right back. 

Of his last 50 games he has actually played more games at right back than centre back

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Then that was my point mate. If that’s he’s position then he isn’t good enough as cover. Unless you disagree ?

Well I dont think this was ever meant to happen. I think Konsa was going to be the right back alternate to Cash and we tried it but Mings and Carlos injury has moved him back into the centre

Cash cant play every game and Chambers will be back

• Like 1

7 hours ago, meregreen said:

Rather see one of the younger players given a chance than waste a chance on this guy. He isn’t good enough, and never will be.

All our young players are on loan gaining valuable experience

Unless we generate an extra 20 million per season, our back up players,  sadly , won't get much better than Chambers.. 

He is decent enough for the fill in or extra cover, but not one to rely on for more than 45 minutes if he has the first team playing. 

Â