Lucas Digne

villan-scott

2 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Yes but that's forgetting Targett had the luxury of Grealish pulling 3 players off that flank every time had the ball.

Going forward, yeah fair enough. But Targett was incredibly consistent and reliable defensively in 2020/21, leading to him winning our player of the season award (granted he wouldn't have won it had Grealish not been injured for a third of the season). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

The thing is, while Targett is certainly no world beater, Digne has never produced anything close to the form that he produced for us in 2020/21 and for parts of our first season back in the PL

Digne doesn’t have Jack Grealish in front of him.

12 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Digne doesn’t have Jack Grealish in front of him.

👇

25 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Going forward, yeah fair enough. But Targett was incredibly consistent and reliable defensively in 2020/21, leading to him winning our player of the season award (granted he wouldn't have won it had Grealish not been injured for a third of the season). 

5 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Isn't that the season without fans? He looked terrible after that.

Yes. My original point was that despite Targett being pretty limited, Digne has not once come close to performing as well as Targett during that season, or during some of our better spells in our first PL season for that matter.

Given the expenditure to get Digne in, his profile as a player and obviously superior abilities, it's pretty damning

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Yes. My original point was that despite Targett being pretty limited, Digne has not once come close to performing as well as Targett during that season, or during some of our better spells in our first PL season for that matter.

Given the expenditure to get Digne in, his profile as a player and obviously superior abilities, it's pretty damning

It's become pretty clear Targett was a one season wonder, and benefitted more than anyone from the fact there was no fan pressure. All sorts of random things happened that season, and Targett being a world beater was one of them. 

He's not come close to producing that form since, with our without Grealish. 

Digne hasn't been any better either though,  so it's still a position we need to improve on. Don't get me wrong, they're both decent PL full backs, but they're far from top half material and we'll be better off for having competition for Digne's position. Something he's not had since he got here. Maybe it will get the most out of him. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Okay, I guess we should have kept Targett then, a player who is getting benched by a centre-back at Newcastle

🤦‍♂️

My point isn't that Targett was a world beater, or someone who should've been kept on as our first choice left back. It is that Digne, for all his experience, high profile, ability and the expenditure to get him in/pay his wages, has not once looked an upgrade or managed to replicate the form that (the incredibly limited) Targett managed at times while he was with us

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

🤦‍♂️

My point isn't that Targett was a world beater, or someone who should've been kept on as our first choice left back. It is that Digne, for all his experience, high profile, ability and the expenditure to get him in/pay his wages, has not once looked an upgrade or managed to replicate the form that (the incredibly limited) Targett managed at times while he was with us

It's almost as if Digne has played nearly all his games with us under one of the worst managers we've ever had?

Gerrard would have made Andy Robertson look like Aly Cissokho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

It's almost as if Digne has played nearly all his games with us under one of the worst managers we've ever had?

Gerrard would have made Andy Robertson look like Aly Cissokho.

Right enough, but then the full back on the opposite side of the pitch was easily our most consistent performer (and eventual player of the year) last season despite Gerrard's ineptitude and ridiculous tactics. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

He actually really wasn’t. The revisionism is staggering. He was weak on the ball and a shell of his former self. Couldn’t cross nor block. Didn’t have the heart. It was like watching two different players. 

• Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

He actually really wasn’t. The revisionism is staggering. He was weak on the ball and a shell of his former self. Couldn’t cross nor block. Didn’t have the heart. It was like watching two different players. 

Yeah, Targett was dreadful for us last season - not sure what relevance that has to my post? He was very good both offensively and defensively in 2020/21, and Digne has never looked close to reaching that kind of form for us

4 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Yeah, Targett was dreadful for us last season - not sure what relevance that has to my post? He was very good both offensively and defensively in 2020/21, and Digne has never looked close to reaching that kind of form for us

And yet Digne has offered more in assists in a fraction of games. He’s not as good as some remember and Digne suffered like all players under Gerrard. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

No chance Digne hangs around for me now. Can't imagine he's the kind to soldier on quietly in the background either.

Umm. It’s a squad game. We need to move beyond like for like replacements. 

21 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

No chance Digne hangs around for me now. Can't imagine he's the kind to soldier on quietly in the background either.

He’ll be 30 by the end of the season and will still have 3 years left to go on his massive contract. I can see him just sticking around and be content with less gametime as his career winds down unless we try and force him out.

Which we shouldn’t be doing anyway. I’ve been far from the biggest digne fan but after the investment we’ve put in him he really should be kept around in the squad in some capacity. I was critical with how gerrard was all too happy to get rid of some players for shiny and expensice new ones instead of trying harder to make it work with the ones he already had and I’d be critical of emery for the same too. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

33 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

He’s on £160k a week. I’d say he’ll soldier on rightly in the background.

• Haha 1

Â