Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

What is the point of working with the squad we have when a number of them are not good enough for a top 6/8 club let alone a top four. Tinkering with formations will not mitigate for a lack of individual player quality. This is more like trying to polish a turd and we all know how pointless that is. Some time ago, before the last transfer window, in another thread we had a discussion on how many of our players would fit in a top 4 club - the answer was one - Martinez. Now we can add Coutinho and Digne with Ramsey and possibly Buendia as ones for the future but the remainder are under question. For the rest of this season we can try other formations in order to squeeze the most out of our current squad but in the longer term higher quality players must be introduced.

What's the point in investing in better players when the coach is unable to get the players he has playing to their level? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

An attacking style of play that yielded 1 shot on target :( 

I have said for a few weeks that the football as a whole has definitely been more negative since Gerrard came in

Its more Rafa than Klopp

Just now, Zatman said:

I have said for a few weeks that the football as a whole has definitely been more negative since Gerrard came in

Its more Rafa than Klopp

Yes. Especially against the 'big' teams... 

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Wrong. Some mid-table or lower teams have top coaches. Potter at Brighton is a top coach, Bruno Lage could very well be one and Hasenhuttl is at least close to being one. And that’s only those in the league right now.

The biggest international coaching names is another story. There are maybe twenty of those who would say no to a midtable club in Premier League, but the value of appointing one of those is questionable - Ancelotti at Everton wasn’t that great.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by top coach yeah. Do you think potter makes the move to another team like Brighton right now? He’s become a top coach at Brighton. That’s what I mean by mid table clubs attracting. Lage looks the business but that’s a Jorge Mendes special. There’s a debate for Hasenhutel but again I wouldn’t have been too excited if we had of brought him in 

1 minute ago, Dale said:

What's the point in investing in better players when the coach is unable to get the players he has playing to their level? 

I think it far, far too early to make that judgement on Gerrard. Far better to use his name to bring in quality (Coutinho etc.) then when we have them Gerrard can be replaced for a better coach if necessary. I believe staying with what we have and trying to find a coach and/or system to suit inferior players would be a strategic mistake exposing us to long term mid-table obscurity.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Its more Rafa than Klopp

There is negative, and there is ineffective. I’m sorry, but you can’t accuse the manager of being negative. We haven’t once played a negative formation, or played defensive players out of position. The most defensive thing he has done is play Nakamba regularly when he was fit in midfield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dale said:

What do we mean by work in the summer? Splurging a load of cash at players with no resale value with nothing to prove? Or actually working out what system works with the squad we have? 

We're tactically rigid at the moment, and I think quite easy to work out.  Do we think that we'll ever show any flexibility in terms of shape and build up (relying on all width coming from full backs leaves a huge number of gaps) as midfielders cover (inadequately on the wing) leaving a lot of space available. And we've never really dominated possession, so we're perpetually exposed. 

Maybe, Gerrard is more exposed in terms of tactical weakness now he's playing week on week out against teams of a similar quality who can look at our set up and set up effectively to counter it? At Liverpool or Rangers you can get away with it as you've got the best set of players available in that league, which means other teams won't see much of the ball, here, less so! 

because, we haven't got the personnel to dominate possession, in the main.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Liverpool game was embarrassing, I was not happy how he set up against them. Proper bottled it.

I’m genuinely not sure if this is down to toys still being thrown out the pram after yesterday’s game, but Liverpool pressed us to death at Anfield, it was in no way ‘negative’. Can you honestly not tell the difference between when a team is sitting back and when they are being pinned back? I apologise if that comes across in a disrespectful way, but I just feel you couldn’t be more wrong there. 

• Like 1

Watford is going to be a very interesting game, lose that with another poor performance,  and we are in the brown stuff and the Gerrard gamble will start to look like a Purslow garbage-can approach decision. 

In all honesty it was a very brave decision to appoint Gerrard after Smith and for Gerrard to accept it was also brave. 

I so hope Purslow is right and we turn this around with Gerrard , but the team for me is sadly showing signs of Jan 2020. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I’m genuinely not sure if this is down to toys still being thrown out the pram after yesterday’s game, but Liverpool pressed us to death at Anfield, it was in no way ‘negative’. Can you honestly not tell the difference between when a team is sitting back and when they are being pinned back? I apologise if that comes across in a disrespectful way, but I just feel you couldn’t be more wrong there. 

I'm not sure about that, seems we didn't even try against them. be interesting to get others opinions.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not sure about that, seems we didn't even try against them. be interesting to get others opinions.

We tried but we set up to keep the score down. Liverpool fans say we are one of the worst to visit all season. 

Time wasting from the first half

1 hour ago, TRO said:

because, we haven't got the personnel to dominate possession, in the main.

Top players usually have better ball control that’s true, but large parts of a possession style can also be learned. Training of movement and positioning to increase passing options is a main thing, together with making possession a main objective. That’s why Man C usually slow down, instead of bombing forward in a counter, when they win the ball back.

Brighton nearly always dominate possession with a low budget squad. Long hours on the training pitch with Potter. If Burnley and Brighton swapped managers the teams would probably gradually change in each others direction.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We tried but we set up to keep the score down. Liverpool fans say we are one of the worst to visit all season. 

Time wasting from the first half

This is what I thought, although @Woody1000 just thought Liverpool were constantly pressing us causing us to defend for 90 minutes. I also stick to the opinion that Gerrard totally bottled that game, an personally think, the way we were playing at the time, we could have got something out of it if he set us up to attack a little.

I felt the players didn't seem too impressed either the way they were set up not to concede. We rarely played like that under Smith, if ever.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He settled for inept performance against Brentford and Leeds. This winner thing is bullshit

His reaction in the last few minutes yesterday was not the sign of a winner. It was the type of attitude Sherwood had at the end

Can’t help but agree with this. I’m definitely willing to give him time and let him build something but I think there are a lot of similarities to Sherwood. He does and says a lot of things for the cameras but the actual product is something completely different - we don’t even look close to being winners on the pitch (yet…I hope…)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Is there any wonder though, we're a s*** midtable team making up the numbers.

As has been established on the forum there are four players at best who would make a top six team.

It's futile.

I gotta say its p**** me off how Brighton, Wolves and Southampton are above us. We are a little like Tottenham, rarely play to the best of our ability. the squads mentioned are no better, they just graft for the manager every game, we are half arsed.

There are poor players in our team I agree, but when this Villa team are on it, playing with pace, I have seen us close to unplayable to most teams bar the big boys, it;s just a very rare occasion.

• Like 1

Â