Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

or even more recent players like Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Lampard, Makelele, Frank De Boer, Dunga

be interesting to see how Xavi goes as I wouldnt have taken him at Villa either for the same reasons as Gerrard and Xavi has twice the football brain

Sure, but I was mainly referencing players that could/would have been seen in a similar light to Gerrard. In terms of leadership and inspiration. 

Many technically gifted players lack the necessary leadership qualities to become successful managers, many aren’t even interested in that field.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

well, its a huge part of the criteria.

If you said one of the best teams in Europe, then I could see that being contested.

Rangers and Celtic are huge clubs....its only their leagues that put doubt in.

No issue with claiming they are well supported. Still don't think it makes us getting Gerrard from them a coup. As you say the league is poor, they have little money and are not gonna compete with the big clubs of today in Europe as their exit this year against Malmö FF proved.

• Like 3

Just now, MrBlack said:

So you're saying it's about time one of them was a success. Law of averages says one of them has to make it soon.  Got a feeling Gerrard will be the exception to the above rule.

Not at all, just pointing out that an inspirational figure of a player doesn’t always translate to a successful manager. I was kind of joking around too.

Many ex players have already made it and been resounding successes.

Again, I’m not calling or predicting anything. But I see no reason to be full of confidence & belief either here. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

So you're saying it's about time one of them was a success. Law of averages says one of them has to make it soon.  Got a feeling Gerrard will be the exception to the above rule.

sadly Diego Simeone got there before him :P 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah, I get the excitement over the potential but @TROis going a little overboard IMO. 

There's loads of examples of well respected, successful players being poor managers. 

I think he loves him as a player more than anything and that’s affecting his view quite a bit. I hope his feelings and views are justified but all we can do is wait, see and hope for the best.

34 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Rangers?  Maybe 30 years ago but their revenue is barely top 75 in Europe now. They would be a minnow in any of the top league's in Europe. 

You have really not grasped the concept of how big a club Rangers are. Look at the results we got in Europe pre pandemic. SG and Mick Beale got a team playing well above their league status with some fantastic results in Europe. It's all relative. The fan base that we have in the UK is only dwarfed by Man Utd and Liverpool imo. Our revenue is relative to our fan base. It's TV money that keeps us down. So you are correct in revenue but take that TV money away from ANY Premier League club and the fans couldn't keep them solvent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Weechops said:

You have really not grasped the concept of how big a club Rangers are. Look at the results we got in Europe pre pandemic. SG and Mick Beale got a team playing well above their league status with some fantastic results in Europe. It's all relative. The fan base that we have in the UK is only dwarfed by Man Utd and Liverpool imo. Our revenue is relative to our fan base. It's TV money that keeps us down. So you are correct in revenue but take that TV money away from ANY Premier League club and the fans couldn't keep them solvent. 

Can you give us some detail regarding his record and successes in Europe? What kind of opposition he faced and the results and performances he managed to produce? How the team performed?

Was it “backs to the wall” a few times or did they manage to dominate teams that would be perceived as superior.

I mean no offence, but man for man that is a weak team imo but managing to defeat better teams/players (on paper) is cause for encouragement… that shows a degree of acumen…

Very interested to know.

On 12/11/2021 at 08:17, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not a fan of Wright but respect to him for mentioning Ramsey.  

Thought Wright was talking a lot of sense there. Sort out our defending as a top priority, then get the attacking players better organised, and bring on the promising youth players if poss. 

And all before the Brighton game!

Looking at that list of fixtures gives me the heebie-jeebies. We are in a poor state to face such a tough couple of months. If Gerrard can at least sort out defending and get us to grind out a few draws, that will be a start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

And the style of football is dire and questionable from a 'sporting' perspective

The last thing I would ever want as a Villa fan. I want entertaining and exciting football above all else, even trophies.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah, I get the excitement over the potential but @TROis going a little overboard IMO. 

There's loads of examples of well respected, successful players being poor managers. 

I can't help what I see, in my perception of things.

We will see whether, I went over board or whether my perception was right.

No added words can be made by me......actions will be the only proof.

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Can you give us some detail regarding his record and successes in Europe? What kind of opposition he faced and the results and performances he managed to produce? How the team performed?

Was it “backs to the wall” a few times or did they manage to dominate teams that would be perceived as superior.

I mean no offence, but man for man that is a weak team imo but managing to defeat better teams/players (on paper) is cause for encouragement… that shows a degree of acumen…

Very interested to know.

They threw away 2 goal lead to Benfica twice last season and in one of the games Benfica had 9 men for 80 minutes. Lost a lead to Malmo who were down to ten men as well

This season he has won 2 from 8 in Europe, home to Brondby and home to a team from Armenia

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They threw away 2 goal lead to Benfica twice last season and in one of the games Benfica had 9 men for 80 minutes. Lost a lead to Malmo who were down to ten men as well

This season he has won 2 from 8 in Europe, home to Brondby and home to a team from Armenia

Looking at the Ranger's team though it's so so poor. There's a reason not many of there players come to the Prem or even the Championship.

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Thought Wright was talking a lot of sense there. Sort out our defending as a top priority, then get the attacking players better organised, and bring on the promising youth players if poss. 

And all before the Brighton game!

Looking at that list of fixtures gives me the heebie-jeebies. We are in a poor state to face such a tough couple of months. If Gerrard can at least sort out defending and get us to grind out a few draws, that will be a start.

our past perfomances, allied to those fixtures, is enough to give anyone, the heebie-jeebies.

We have to look at every game at a time and seek out better perfomances, do that and we have a chance.

I think , when you are playing poorly and look at advanced fixtures, its like looking down the Grand Canyon.....daunting.

He will make each game look doable, even as you say, a point.

21 minutes ago, sne said:

No issue with claiming they are well supported. Still don't think it makes us getting Gerrard from them a coup. As you say the league is poor, they have little money and are not gonna compete with the big clubs of today in Europe as their exit this year against Malmö FF proved.

He could be managing the richest club in the world.....yeah!....its a coup alright.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

👍👍👍👍 

All good then !

Â