The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But if we can’t think of anybody, you know that Purslow and the Owners would be struggling as well. It’s not our job I agree but we as fans have so much data these days and we cant see anybody decent then it would have to be somebody completely left field and a complete risk and I’m not sure any of us want that do we.

I disagree to be honest. I do think fans are so much more knowledgable but not to the degree of those above in the club. We don’t actually know who’s available or who’s interested in the job. We also don’t genuinely know how ambitions our owners are and we could be aiming a lot higher than we’re suggesting on here with Potter, Lampard etc. Ancelotti to Everton is an example. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But it's also bizarre that in the same vein, you don't think something is wrong, when losing 1 player, whether it be Prime Lionel Messi, or Jack Grealish, can cause a whole team to disintegrate. After all the money spent, at minimum your players should be able to pass to their team mates. ( And yes, Messi was papering over cracks at Barcelona as well, if that is considered as a rebuttal )

Sorry, but the " Jack left " is a copout, a fall off, a staying still, years, most of us were accepting of, but not this 

I prefer other reasoning, but this Jack hand has now been well and truly overplayed.

Maybe Jack was just papering over how shite everything else was.

Similarly to how EMI Martinez not being at superman levels has exposed the midfield, defense, and the state of our overall play.

It's not purely his playing ability it's the confidence it gives the other players that we have lost. Even as a fan I feel the effect of him leaving to pretend it's just his playing ability we have lost is niave and I'm pretty sure that fact hasn't been lost on our current owners ( the fact they threw the wage structure in the air to get him to stay tells you that)

We was short of something last year, for me it was a midfield , but even if that wasn't  the issue there was short comming especially when 'he' was out. 

Changing the manager isn't going to solve our problems,  it's going to compound them..... if it's not a carefully planned and implemented move. 

Fair enough, if you want Smith gone then who we gonna appoint? 

If you read the Nixon article it just says that Hjulmand is one of the managers on our 'watchlist' which is very vague and something that can't be proven or disproven unless we happen to appoint him, so I think it's most probably him just guessing based our current links with Danish football.

30 minutes ago, tinker said:

People want Smith out ....none of them have a decent replacement in mind other than a bunch of chancers, failed managers who have fancy names or new managers that have no experience in management but seem like , nice blokes , strong leaders , or natural born winners.......

We have lost arguably the best player we have ever had and replaced him with two right wingers and a striker in,  a rush.

Let's have some faith and see if Smith can turn this around , it's gonna be a close call but he deserves the chance under the circumstances and taking the other options into consideration.

If we stay calm and give him and the team a chance we can pull through this. If we painic and throw it all in the air we risk starting a 5 year relegation promotion cycle with no guarantee of another pair of sugar daddies coming in to bail us out, like the last time.

For me it's Smith or bust so we may as well get behind him and the team and try and pull this around UTV and FG the fickle wnkr.

People want Smith out because we have been shyte for a year and he is dragging us into a relegation battle. These people want a manager that will be better than Smith and stop the rot. It is not the the responsibility of fans to select the next manager

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I disagree to be honest. I do think fans are so much more knowledgable but not to the degree of those above in the club. We don’t actually know who’s available or who’s interested in the job. We also don’t genuinely know how ambitions our owners are and we could be aiming a lot higher than we’re suggesting on here with Potter, Lampard etc. Ancelotti to Everton is an example. 

Yeah I’m not sure Ancelotti/Everton was a positive thing before it happened and especially now in hindsight.

I agree we don’t know as much as the club but even looking at recent managerial appointments at other clubs of note, there isn’t any real surprises anymore so we aren’t going to be far off and our likely options aren’t decent.

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

People want Smith out because we have been shyte for a year and he is dragging us into a relegation battle. These people want a manager that will be better than Smith and stop the rot. It is not the the responsibility of fans to select the next manager

Didn't you want to get rid of Smith before this 5 game run and the "rot" when we were in midtable? If I recall, European football was quite important at the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Who is available? Considering the owners don't seem to have a magical manager making machine 

28 minutes ago, thejoker said:

Alan Nixon (The Sun) says we are interested in Denmark manager Kasper Hjulmand if we sack Smith. Would certainly be left-field. 

His club record doesn't really instill me with confidence. Not sure he would be any better than Smith. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Didn't you want to get rid of Smith before this 5 game run and the "rot" when we were in midtable? If I recall, European football was quite important at the time.

Not to me , I guessed 15th this season without JG the fickle wnkr.

18 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Neither is sacking Dean.  I never get that line of argument tbh, it's been trotted out before with managers or signings.  It's not much to ask to put your opinions into context.

I’ve been pretty vocal as to why think we need a change. My opinion is we’ve seen enough this season to suggest we need a change. And I’m finished with the argument that he’s pulled through bad spells before argument because we know it’s going to happen again. And also the lost his best player argument because our record throughout 2021 has been so poor, we’ve lost the most premier league games out of anyone. I’m also done with waiting for players to return from injury because we still have a group of players who are either in their second or third season in the league and look like they have no idea what they are supposed to be doing. Dean had a lot of credit in the bank for what he’s done for us the last few years but I think it’s spent now. We’re now potentially in a relegation battle and have lost 5 games on the spin, that’s not good enough. It’s not my job to sack him and it’s not my job to find a suitable replacement. I’m just past the idea of giving more time for him to fix things because of what I’m watching every time we play and of our stats to back it up. 

34 minutes ago, thejoker said:

Alan Nixon (The Sun) says we are interested in Denmark manager Kasper Hjulmand if we sack Smith. Would certainly be left-field. 

It seems that if there is any change, it won't be any random name for name's sake?

It would be purely based on analytics, ceiling, style of play and so on.

As the last murmers from last season were Bruno Large, who we/I had no idea about ( now at Wolves ).

A look at his " record " was nothing either.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I’m not sure Ancelotti/Everton was a positive thing before it happened and especially now in hindsight.

I agree we don’t know as much as the club but even looking at recent managerial appointments at other clubs of note, there isn’t any real surprises anymore so we aren’t going to be far off and our likely options aren’t decent.

What’s the alternative though, go down with Dean but at least he knows the club well? I would rather the club try and find a solution rather than this season turns into any more of a horror. Look at Vieira at palace at the minute, doing a great job. There’s managers out there

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

Who is available? Considering the owners don't seem to have a magical manager making machine 

Well, obviously. But they appointed Dean who did an incredible job getting us to where we are now, didn’t they? Was Dean available?  Maybe they might have the ability to appoint a manager who may take us further, just a thought. 

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I would have been happy with 8th-13th-ish with that in mind. But it's starting to spiral out of control now.

I would have as well, tbh with JG the fickle wnkr , in this squad with another decent midfielder I would have looked at top 6 with real confidence maybe even higher. 

Basically none of the Smith out brigade have a clue who they want to replace him with they just want the disruption losing him would offer us .........no thanks , idiots. 

• Like 1

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

What’s the alternative though, go down with Dean but at least he knows the club well? I would rather the club try and find a solution rather than this season turns into any more of a horror. Look at Vieira at palace at the minute, doing a great job. There’s managers out there

You’re assuming we’d go down if we stick with Smith which I don’t agree with.  As for Vieira it’s only 11 games, let’s see how he does over a longer period.  There are always flavour of the month managers.  

We aren’t looking for a flash in a pan or a manager like Ancelotti who will jump ship at the first chance or take a risk on a newbie manager (insert list of recent ex footballers here), surely we are past that and have better owners than that.  

The solution could be to stay the course, it will turn and we’ll come out of it than risk a massive gamble on somebody else.  Getting somebody else could be better but equally could be worse. I’m happy to stick with the devil we know given the current options on the market that we know about and who’d likely come to us.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

This is depressing list, even your analysis on Potter and Fonseca should put them in the no list.  I would be more negative on Potter in my analysis than your analysis but doesn’t make much difference. 

I’m in the Smith stays column anyway but if i was like some on here looking at that list after thinking Smith should be sacked, I’d be having second thoughts and stick with Smith.

favre is a top class manager mate.

1 minute ago, tinker said:

I would have as well, tbh with JG the fickle wnkr , in this squad with another decent midfielder I would have looked at top 6 with real confidence maybe even higher. 

Basically none of the Smith out brigade have a clue who they want to replace him with they just want the disruption losing him would offer us .........no thanks , idiots. 

The reason they are saying it’s not their job to say who they want is due to not being any decent options out there that would come to us.  The names that have been mentioned just don’t cut the mustard.

Just now, MaVilla said:

favre is a top class manager mate.

Yeah, he’s the only one (if you noticed 😉) I didn’t comment on.  To be fair, the parts I know about him are really good and I’ve done more research since his name has been mentioned and it’s good but I don’t have a good enough knowledge about him.  The only name so far I haven’t put in the ‘No’ column.