Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

54 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

The atmosphere was poor but the music before the game does my head in. Turn it off 10-15 mins before KO and let the atmosphere build, it's insanely loud you can barely hear the person next to you. 

I remember back in the MON days we'd get a chant going for each player in the 3-4 mins before KO and they'd clap the Holte, surprised if they can even hear it now.

Yep, the music needs to stop earlier.

• Like 1

With regards to the atmosphere, i think the home fans do a good job when we want to. Palace were on the tv the other day and the holmesdale end were brilliant, not sure how they organise it or what they do but it sounds great. Will this type of thing catch on at VP in the Holte? im north stand upper and it seems we always have these groups trying to start something then when match day comes we never hear from them again...

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Well I quite enjoyed that! I’ve never felt as relaxed watching Villa in all my 30 years as a fan, it’s a bit weird tbh.

48 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Just got back, it was the strangest atmosphere, game was played at the intensity of a friendly and that really translated to the stands.

Bit of a shame considering it was the first home European game for over a decade, but I guess that's what happens when you're 5-0 up from the first leg against a team that is always going to struggle to make it competitive.

Pinched these from the match thread.

It's a strange atmosphere this season so far. Only two games of course. Against two poor sides.

The football we've played so far is unbelievably good, and it's very methodical.

It's not conducive to lifting the crowd with a big welly into the box and a snapshot as the ball bounces round.

If we win the ball off the opponent, we're likely to keep if for 30 seconds in our own box while we reset. Not pump it down the wing or over the top as we would have for what it feels like the whole time I've been going.

Might take a bit of time for fans to get used to getting themselves going in games like Hibs and Everton where it's going to be a lot of us building up slowly and cruising to a win.

No doubt the fans will be up for the bigger games, but there's definitely an adjustment to be made for the games we're going into as big favourites. 

It's nice being a good team.

• Like 3

This isn’t a ‘knee-jerk’ reaction to the lack of atmosphere tonight (seemingly, I wasn’t there personally though did watch the game on Villa TV) but our home atmosphere can be really quite quiet.

Ive been considering this in contrast with the atmosphere at Newcastle (at the moment) and it definitely feels like it’s driven by the difference in the setup and tactics.

Unai Emery is a living god, nuff said. But our play can be very slow at times so we’ll need to generate our own atmosphere (as fans), really wish we’d get through more of a repertoire of the songs. Easy to say on t’internet though, getting up in amongst thousands of strangers and trying to start songs is another matter.

• Like 1

Atmosphere was pap tonight, it didn’t help that for the second game in a row the turnstiles outside north stand had problems, I got in with 10 minutes played despite being outside the ground with 15 to go, never had this issue prior to the everton game last week….everything around the stadium off the pitch had such a malaise about it…people leave the north stand upper with 15 to go too, it’s like a mass exodus…not good

• Like 1

The tie was over before it started and that resulted in the crowd not needing to do anything. I can guarantee if this was first leg or it was still a contest the atmosphere would have been better.

What I did find odd was the chants for some old players in the second half 

If we are honest we have never, at least in the 10 years ive been regularly going, had the most passionate home fans…we aren’t like newcastle or palace who will back the team Come what may in all conditions…whole areas of our ground are closed in the championship, you don’t see that up north. The area is not a footballing hotbed and I think we do suffer at times, we will never have the best home atmosphere but we are capable of a much better atmosphere like everton at home in our first season back

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

The tie was over before it started and that resulted in the crowd not needing to do anything. I can guarantee if this was first leg or it was still a contest the atmosphere would have been better.

What I did find odd was the chants for some old players in the second half 

Yeah, even Gabby talkshite was mentioned. Was actually quite good in A2/A1 but the Holte was very quiet again, the lanyards and wrist bands must be choking them 😉

3 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

If we are honest we have never, at least in the 10 years ive been regularly going, had the most passionate home fans…we aren’t like newcastle or palace who will back the team Come what may in all conditions…whole areas of our ground are closed in the championship, you don’t see that up north. The area is not a footballing hotbed and I think we do suffer at times, we will never have the best home atmosphere but we are capable of a much better atmosphere like everton at home in our first season back

I think that was more to do with the reduction of matchday staff.

We currently have the best team we've had in donkeys and the atmosphere at VP so far this season has been quiet, I have no idea why.

9 home wins in a row, pretty sure that's a new record for us... we don't want to be a silent fortress

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Atmosphere was pap tonight, it didn’t help that for the second game in a row the turnstiles outside north stand had problems, I got in with 10 minutes played despite being outside the ground with 15 to go, never had this issue prior to the everton game last week….everything around the stadium off the pitch had such a malaise about it…people leave the north stand upper with 15 to go too, it’s like a mass exodus…not good

There was issues on trinity road and the holte. Thousands outside at 8pm.

Pap from the club.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

That is nonsense. How many other clubs would average over 30,000, in the championship, with bruceball?

Leeds had sub 25,000 crowds for years before Biesla turned up, in a one club city.

Palace until recently did well to get 15,000 crowds in the championship for Croydon's finest until they discovered ultra culture.

We have good home support. Tonight was a dead rubber, it will be cracked up when we get into the group games.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some other people mentioned the holte sang old players song, honestly I don’t remember hearing any of the old songs T all, it must have been a small number! It could have been because I was next to the hibs fans who were class, they were just happy to be at villa park…but I definitely didn’t hear the holte today barring a couple of renditions of HEITS

5 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

It was a qualifier and we were already through. Not much for fans to be excited about.

It's also the conference not CL.

I expect more noice once we enter the quarters and semis and start playing some decent teams

5 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Some other people mentioned the holte sang old players song, honestly I don’t remember hearing any of the old songs T all, it must have been a small number! It could have been because I was next to the hibs fans who were class, they were just happy to be at villa park…but I definitely didn’t hear the holte today barring a couple of renditions of HEITS

There was times you couldn’t hear the hibs fans because the holte was singing. The atmosphere wasn’t great last night but it wasn’t as bad as people making out. I was in holte lower and it just had the feel of a friendly game on and off the pitch. It was a much bigger game for hibs I feel and their fans were determined to make the most of it. Very quiet at times and average at other times. It will be different on the group games .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Simply not true . The atmosphere at Newcastle previously before the new owners was terrible and they were giving away thousands of free tickets to help fill the ground to massage Mike Ashley’s ego. Also Leeds shut down part of the stand because they were averaging 22-25k. Thousands went missing at Sunderland and they had to close part of their ground although they are starting to come back. Man City the atmosphere there is garbage. Nothing special about the support up north.  Palace? Until the ultras started there they were a non entity in terms of support but they do make it a difficult place to visit nowadays I’ll admit. I will agree Villa park should be noisy more often , most fans of other clubs could say the same about their home support , but when it’s on , you’d be hard pressed to find many better home grounds in terms of noise.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 3
  • Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It will be different on the group games

I'm not sure. Depends who we are playing.

If we are up against terrible teams like Hibernian it's difficult to be as "up" for it.

I think it will get better in the late stages

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I'm not sure. Depends who we are playing.

If we are up against terrible teams like Hibernian it's difficult to be as "up" for it.

I think it will get better in the late stages

Thing is the tie was over by half time up at their place . Coming into the home leg 5.0 up against Hibs it was always going to be a bit friendly like in terms of on and off the pitch. We made a few changes so did they, it really was a dead rubber for our fans but a big day out still for those Hibs fans who backed their team well. Would they be so noisy 3-4 nil down away to St Mirren? Probably not but credit to them and they seemed a pleasant bunch of fans . First leg at home and Villa park would have been noisier last night .

• Like 1

Â