Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

53 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Let’s have it right Lexicon - even yourself as one of his staunchest supporters on VT - would have to agree, that his overall time in a Villa shirt has been pretty poor. The criticism has not been disproportionate to his performances, would you not agree this much?

He hasn't been that good, I agree but past performances have absolutely no bearing on present or future ones, though. It makes zero sense to downplay somebody's performance on one day because they didn't play well the week before, for example.

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He hasn't been that good, I agree but past performances have absolutely no bearing on present or future ones, though. It makes zero sense to downplay somebody's performance on one day because they didn't play well the week before, for example.

With regards to future performances absolutely yes - no correlation whatsoever.

Present performances - this is debatable, personally I do not think he has played particularly well - better than his previous levels agreed. You clearly think he is playing well and this is what makes football the great debate 👍🏻 

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

Let’s have it right Lexicon - even yourself as one of his staunchest supporters on VT - would have to agree, that his overall time in a Villa shirt has been pretty poor. The criticism has not been disproportionate to his performances, would you not agree this much?

Would it kill you to just try and support the guy?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Would it kill you to just try and support the guy?

No not at all - but you can forget about me saying something for the sake of it.

He has been dreadful for us in his time here, do you hand on heart think something different to this? 
As for his current form it’s ok, nothing amazing.This is my opinion - not saying I am right, it’s just my opinion.

If he turns it around here and starts to perform like a £30 mill footballer that he is then I have absolutely no doubts he will rightly get the plaudits - myself included.

But you can’t expect me to say that I think he is a good footballer, because based on what I have witnessed thus far - he is not. Imo.

I might well be completely wrong here and will hold up my hand if so - I don’t think he will remain in the starting line up once everyone is fit and settled - but again it’s just my view 

24 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

With regards to future performances absolutely yes - no correlation whatsoever.

Present performances - this is debatable, personally I do not think he has played particularly well - better than his previous levels agreed. You clearly think he is playing well and this is what makes football the great debate 👍🏻 

In 4 matches this season in all comps, he has 5 goal contributions - 3 goals and 2 assists. That's not playing well for you?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

In 4 matches this season in all comps, he has 5 goal contributions - 3 goals and 2 assists. That's not playing well for you?

I am referring to his overall game - you can have 3 stinkers in a row and still pull out those stats - You seem to have the view that all is now ok with Bailey ? For me he still has to show so much more to his overall game. You think not - that’s ok.

As I have just said - personally I do not believe he will remain in the starting line up for too much longer - you probably do.

Time will tell.

1 minute ago, ChesterDad said:

I am referring to his overall game - you can have 3 stinkers in a row and still pull out those stats - You seem to have the view that all is now ok with Bailey ? For me he still has to show so much more to his overall game. You think not - that’s ok.

As I have just said - personally I do not believe he will remain in the starting line up for too much longer - you probably do.

Time will tell.

Nah, not having that. Can you provide examples of someone achieving those stats and having stinkers?

Bailey scored and would have had 3 assists yesterday had his teammates finished. He played well. 

Leon is hugely talented but physically limited. Fast as f... but lack of balance and physicality . Diaby has elite balance and pace to add to the same skillset as Bailey  low blocks are Baileys nightmare as he can get easily boxed in. 

20 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

No not at all - but you can forget about me saying something for the sake of it.

He has been dreadful for us in his time here, do you hand on heart think something different to this? 
As for his current form it’s ok, nothing amazing.This is my opinion - not saying I am right, it’s just my opinion.

If he turns it around here and starts to perform like a £30 mill footballer that he is then I have absolutely no doubts he will rightly get the plaudits - myself included.

But you can’t expect me to say that I think he is a good footballer, because based on what I have witnessed thus far - he is not. Imo.

I might well be completely wrong here and will hold up my hand if so - I don’t think he will remain in the starting line up once everyone is fit and settled - but again it’s just my view 

I don’t think he has been great but he has had enough good moments to stick with him which is why Unai is doing exactly that.  Im happy that he has. You aren’t.

You can carry on moaning about him.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Nah, not having that. Can you provide examples of someone achieving those stats and having stinkers?

Bailey scored and would have had 3 assists yesterday had his teammates finished. He played well. 

Look if you can’t see how that works I’m sorry.

I don’t want to have a keyboard spat with you Lexicon - We are all villans at the end of the day.

I am not a fan - you are and that’s ok.

Let’s see how this pans out. If I end up with egg on my face, that will mean something good is happening for Villa.

For now on this particular topic with you I’m out👍🏻

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think he has been great but he has had enough good moments to stick with him which is why Unai is doing exactly that.  Im happy that he has. You aren’t.

You can carry on moaning about him.

See my reply to @lexicon - same applies 👍🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Leon is hugely talented but physically limited. Fast as f... but lack of balance and physicality . Diaby has elite balance and pace to add to the same skillset as Bailey  low blocks are Baileys nightmare as he can get easily boxed in. 

For me it’s his decision making which is the most annoying thing. He often tries to beat the man when he should be passing or vice versa, and that limits his effectiveness in counterattacks as well. It’s another big difference between him and diaby who is a much more savvy player 

Big part to play this season Leon… keep going. The club has continued to show faith in him… I think it will be rewarded now…

Moussa is a massive help I think, they seem like really good friends. A good example for him to follow too…

18 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So when he's not good, the argument is " All people want to see is him put a shift in, be able to beat a man at the very least, and contribute like a winger should...waste of space "

When he finally puts a few decent - good performances together it's:

" Yeah it was a good assist but he didn t look up "

" The keeper should have saved that "

" It was against Hibs "

" Yeah he's getting goals and assists but that doesn't mean he's been good "

Why is it so difficult to just accept some positive from a player and hope for more.positive progress... Which the current trajectory suggests could be the case?

We have options now which means he doesn't even have to start, but can certainly be effective and useful to the squad, as he has recently been looking.

Only the Olsen thread currently runs second to this.

It's as if some people want him to continue to be shite so they can feel vindicated ffs.

Oh no not this again, from my side it was never part of some negative campaign, and many simplified/didn’t try to understand, in no way do I think that you always ”need to look up” before you make a pass, of course not. It was part of a reasoning with the assessment that it was an element of luck to it (albeit not so good formulated), the twisting and ridiculing of it is as tiresome as overly negative posts on a player. And of course you can have different opinions on whether it was an element of luck to it, just like Watkins or Diabys or Dignes assists.

I do understand and admire defence of our players against overreactions and unappropriate language, I do the same in the Olsen thread for example. But while doing that we should also try to avoid overreactions on our side.

As for Bailey I dont think I have been critical of him except after his performance against Newcastle, and then after Everton saying it didn’t chance much as I thought it was an element of luck to the assist and goal.

I think his recent performances have been promising, less of the hit and miss style that he showed earlier and more careful with his passing and in his decision making. What’s still left is to toughen up a bit and work on his strength so he wins more battles and can avoid injuries. Much more things as well regarding his playing style, performances and development that is interrsting to discuss!

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 1

If people cant feel free to share their honest opinion, critical or otherwise what’s the point of this site?  

I want Leon to succeed, his success is success for the villa, I’ve been disappointed with his overall performance in the past, he’s played better this season but I don’t think it’s beyond the pale to cast a critical eye towards him or any of our players.

Wishing for the downfall of Leon or anyone in the squad is unacceptable, I don’t think that happens here except for in the rarest of circumstances, and it’s rightly condemned.

16 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

If people cant feel free to share their honest opinion, critical or otherwise what’s the point of this site?  

I want Leon to succeed, his success is success for the villa, I’ve been disappointed with his overall performance in the past, he’s played better this season but I don’t think it’s beyond the pale to cast a critical eye towards him or any of our players.

Wishing for the downfall of Leon or anyone in the squad is unacceptable, I don’t think that happens here except for in the rarest of circumstances, and it’s rightly condemned.

I get all this but criticism of his goals and assists when he is actually playing well ? Thats tiring.

It’s like it kills some people to praise him. Instead they would rather down play his better moments than give him some credit.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

Â