Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I have a feeling he’ll start ahead of Buendia against Bournemouth. I’m not saying that’s the right or wrong decision, I just don’t think Gerrard fancies Buendia for whatever reason.

Maybe he does but feels Coutinho and Bailey when firing are both better players? If he does I’d have to agree.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe he does but feels Coutinho and Bailey when firing are both better players? If he does I’d have to agree.

I agree with this mostly. I'd  say Coutinho and Bailey offer better pentration and Bailey is a more direct threat to Buendia. I think Buendia offers more industry though. 

Bailey brings something that none of our other creative players do. Which is direct running at pace. We have more variety with Bailey and Coutinho as a result. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I agree with this mostly. I'd  say Coutinho and Bailey offer better pentration and Bailey is a more direct threat to Buendia. I think Buendia offers more industry though. 

Bailey brings something that none of our other creative players do. Which is direct running at pace. We have more variety with Bailey and Coutinho as a result. 

Either way, it’s great to have 3 players vying for those two positions. If Bailey does come good, that’s real depth and quality there for sure. 

37 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Imagine a world here the Villa first 11 is based on attacking the opponent's weaknesses, rather than having to pick the 11 best players because the rest aren't good enough.

Leon's going to be much more effective against some teams, less so against others. And a decent number of those he won't be as dangerous against will be perfect for Emi.

As a side bar, has a player ever gone through the VT stages of a new signing so quickly?

1. Sign - "can't believe we got him, what a coup".

2. Debut / early games - "he's better than I thought!"

3. Injury - "we need him back, in he'll be like a new signing"

4. Comeback - "he's shit"

5. Another injury - "waste of money - we've been done here"

6. Comeback - go back to step 2

Question. Which teams do you think he’ll be more effective against? I’m not arguing against the post, I think its a good one, I’m just wondering who you think Buendia will be better suited to playing and who Bailey will be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Question. Which teams do you think he’ll be more effective against? I’m not arguing against the post, I think its a good one, I’m just wondering who you think Buendia will be better suited to playing and who Bailey will be.

I was going to reply but @avfc1982ampretty much read my mind and worded it better than I could.

Could even be stages of the same game - if we have a narrow lead and the opposition is pressing high and keeping us in our half, bringing on Bailey would change the dynamic as we could get it out long to the wings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All of the things we saw from him at Leverkeusen were on show. Acceleration, beating full backs with skill, ultra quick changes of direction , ball control. Even bravery and tenacity. A run of games without injury is key now and it will be really like a new signing.

Injuries really did him over last season. Even when he returned you could see his confidence was shaken and he was scared of getting injured again.  

He seems a lot happier and settled at the moment and able to show what he can do. Hopefully stays that way. He’s a quality player.

5 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

All of the things we saw from him at Leverkeusen were on show. Acceleration, beating full backs with skill, ultra quick changes of direction , ball control. Even bravery and tenacity. A run of games without injury is key now and it will be really like a new signing.

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Injuries really did him over last season. Even when he returned you could see his confidence was shaken and he was scared of getting injured again.  

He seems a lot happier and settled at the moment and able to show what he can do. Hopefully stays that way. He’s a quality player.

I think he knows who his competetion is, and seems to have added some Bite and workrate to his game as well.

Very good signs.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

From the very outset, and I could be completely wrong here, I thought Bailey and his camp perhaps thought they were bigger than Villa and this was a stepping stone for him to move to a 'top' club. I say this based on the comments his dad made and the attitude he perhaps showed at times last season. Maybe he thought the PL would be easier than it was and he'd be our standout man like he was at Leverkusen.

I think reality has hit home now though based on some of his comments on social media. Probably realised the PL is a different beast to the Bundesliga and that he will have to be at the very top of his game to even feature in our starting XI. 

I don't know because I don't know the individual but I just sensed some arrogance from the very start. I really hope he has a great season and proves his doubters (me included) wrong next year. 

• Like 1

On 17/07/2022 at 20:39, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not for me. Buendia the best of the three. His vision is next level.

Â