Europa League & Champions League Finals

andykeenan

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Yes, but Bielsa beat Smith, and Smith beat Tuchel, so really, Bielsa won the Champions League.

VillaLad you’re only allowed 1 account on VT

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Yes, but Bielsa beat Smith, and Smith beat Tuchel, so really, Bielsa won the Champions League.

Maybe, maybe not. All I know is Frank is Sherwood levels of fraud.

Edited by flamingsombrero

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Kante bossing this.

thank F*ck he wasn't there when we played them. Bloody nuisance.

Phenomenal performance from him.....

we need one.

Pep made a mistake tonight playing too many players with attacking tendency, it doesn't work......its meant too, but it doesn't...He changed from his all season format.

We fall in to the same trap....we don't have players in midfield, with natural defensive nous....Marv is close, but not quite enough.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

we need one.

Pep made a mistake tonight playing too many players with attacking tendency, it doesn't work......its meant too, but it doesn't...He changed from his all season format.

We fall in to the same trap....we don't have players in midfield, with natural defensive nous....Marv is close, but not quite enough.

There isnt a club or country in the world that doesn't need him! Phenomenal player

Watching him for Chelsea and saying he's just a DMC (a damn good one...) seems harsh, he can play further up too, he's not a simple traditional 6, easily the best in the world at it though, he's another evolution after the likes of biscuits

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Genie said:

Goals win games

Strikers score goals

No striker on the pitch 

No goals

Lost the game 

The end

Yes but he got to the final without playing a striker. He brought in Sterling for a midfield player thats why the first goal happened and thats where he lost it imo. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

we need one.

Spot on mate.

51 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Interested to hear Tuchel, cos this is Frank Lampards team, well done Fatty.

Tomorrow! 

I think there's a big Big dissection to be done with regards to what lampard did, players not performing under him and how good a manager tuchel is 

There's a whole skillset, mentality conversation to take place 

Long story short I think mentally the players weren't anywhere near there under lampard but now they are, which then goes in to lampard the manager of young English kids vs lampard the manager of Thiago silva which is really interesting 

The mental side of football is a huge widely disregarded subject but tuchel vs lampard is worth looking at 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Goals win games

Strikers score goals

No striker on the pitch 

No goals

Lost the game 

The end

Pep thought that and played an attacking line up, that back fired.....when you defend like Chelsea did, you only need one and they got it.....Man city defence went awol.

I seem to remember a team close to my heart, who put in a superb defensive display in this competition, they only needed 1 goal too.

you don't always have to beat teams by loads of goals, you just need one more than the opposition.....if they don't score, the task is not so steep.

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

There isnt a club or country in the world that doesn't need him! Phenomenal player

Watching him for Chelsea and saying he's just a DMC (a damn good one...) seems harsh, he can play further up too, he's not a simple traditional 6, easily the best in the world at it though, he's another evolution after the likes of biscuits

He is the best around, so the trick is to aim as close as you can to him....but more importantly, city, abandoned their equivalents in favour of more attacking options....I think Pep made a mistake....despite how great he is.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Tomorrow! 

I think there's a big Big dissection to be done with regards to what lampard did, players not performing under him and how good a manager tuchel is 

There's a whole skillset, mentality conversation to take place 

Long story short I think mentally the players weren't anywhere near there under lampard but now they are, which then goes in to lampard the manager of young English kids vs lampard the manager of Thiago silva which is really interesting 

The mental side of football is a huge widely disregarded subject but tuchel vs lampard is worth looking at 

Couldn't agree with you more.

Tuchel has that edge, thats crucial in top flight managers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

He's detestable.

I thought similar for ages but was a good interview with him on Sky the other day talking about his life and hobbies. Seemed more laidback than his football personality

seeing abramovic grinning whilst holding a trophy that a few weeks ago he couldn't give a shit about and wanted to walk away from still doesn't sit well with me at all. it still feels wrong that they were able to continue competing in the competition

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

Couldn't agree with you more.

Tuchel has that edge, thats crucial in top flight managers.

Ole is an easy one cos you can say he failed at cardiff

But serisouly I beleive it's a hole mentality thing, you can say "could tuchel do it at grimsby" no, but neither could the grimsby manager do it at chelsea

So much of top level football is in their head and it's disregarded 

Lampard can get a tune out of tomori but not out of thaigo Silva, one of them is a 20 year old kid looking up to an England legend one of them is a legend looking down at some guy he barely knows 

So much of football is in the head 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Tammy also filming himself with his mobile as the trophy is lifted

What a dick.

didnt all our youth players do similar on Monday night?

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Ole is an easy one cos you can say he failed at cardiff

But serisouly I beleive it's a hole mentality thing, you can say "could tuchel do it at grimsby" no, but neither could the grimsby manager do it at chelsea

So much of top level football is in their head and it's disregarded 

Lampard can get a tune out of tomori but not out of thaigo Silva, one of them is a 20 year old kid looking up to an England legend one of them is a legend looking down at some guy he barely knows 

So much of football is in the head 

It is, Cloughy and Saunders were perfect examples of Managers with an edge....Players were always trying to please cloughy as with Sir Ron....and it wasn't always easy to do.

They didn't suffer fools gladly and made winning their intention.....Both managers appreciated the need to defend too, as well as score goals.

Winning games breeds that mentality, and that mentality breeds winning games....its the synergy of success.

as much as losing is inevitable at times, its not for dwelling on, its for learning from and reversing.....Tuchel was a loser last year in this competition, and now a winner.

Ps I noticed tonight, not nearly as many Man city players took their losers medals off in petulance, like the Man U players did......In fact Pep, Kissed his medal, probably saying under his breath, thats the last one of them I will have ( a losers medal)....There are many ways to look at it.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Villa87 said:

Kante - wow. Masterclass. Followed by Reece James. 

When Southgate drops Alexander Arnold for him at least this will shut people up

People blaming Zinchenko are way off, was one central defender marking Werner I think was Dias. The other centre back was miles out of position and this is how Zinchenko was exposed with Havertz

Â