VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is someone going to tell them they’re talking out of their arse.Heroes was a Top 40 single

Sorry.  My mistake. It was Changes, not Heroes they played.

And here is Brown Eyed Girl Van Morrison 😲

Just had a quick look.

According to wiki -

Ring of Fire apparently wasn’t released as a single in the UK.

Heroes reached number 24.

Sonnet was released as a fourth single but only in a way that made it ineligible for a chart position.

Summer of 69, Rhiannon, 9 to 5. Yeah none made the top 40 for whatever reason. Not sure about Proud Mary,

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sorry.  My mistake. It was Changes, not Heroes they played.

And here is Brown Eyed Girl Van Morrison 😲

Brown eyed girl in the context that it was 1967 and his 1st single makes sense because that's how chart music worked at the time 

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just had a quick look.

According to wiki -

Heroes reached number 24.

Sonnet was released as a fourth single but only in a way that made it ineligible for a chart position.

Summer of 69, Rhiannon, 9 to 5. Yeah none made the top 40 for whatever reason. Not sure about Proud Mary,

It was Changes. 

They are cheating as they did The Strand by Roxy and One Way or Another Blondie which weren't released in the UK. 

Take it Easy by The Eagles also in there, not sure if that's not a UK release either. 

I think Summer of 69 didn't do well here as Radio 1 chose not to play, the implication was 69 wasn't referring to the year. Not sure as I didn't watch the show. 

8 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

That is surprising, because it was played a LOT on BBC radio in the early 60s. 

I think with Cash his most popular song in terms of sales in this country was A Thing Called Love, which in Cash terms worldwide is relatively obscure. Whereas if you asked people to name a Johnny Cash song I would wager a high percentage would go for Ring of Fire   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I think with Cash his most popular song in terms of sales in this country was A Thing Called Love, which in Cash terms worldwide is relatively obscure. Whereas if you asked people to name a Johnny Cash song I would wager a high percentage would go for Ring of Fire   

Like I said above, played a lot on the BBC in the 60s. And playing album tracks was unusual in those (pre-Radio 1) days. It was certainly his most well known song in the UK at that point (arguably rivalled only by I Walk The Line). 

• Like 1

Wikipedia on 'Ring of Fire': 

In 2004, Merle Kilgore, who shared writing credit for the song with June Carter, proposed licensing the song for a hemorrhoid cream commercial. When performing the song live, Kilgore would often "mock dedicate" the song to the "makers of Preparation H". However, June's heirs were not of a like mind, and they refused to allow the song to be licensed for the ad.

Cash's first wife, Vivian, states, "One day in early 1963, while gardening in the yard, Johnny told me about a song he had just written with Merle Kilgore and Curly while out fishing on Lake Casitas. 'I'm gonna give June half credit on a song I just wrote,' Johnny said. 'It's called "Ring of Fire."' 'Why?' I asked, wiping dirt from my hands. The mere mention of her name annoyed me. I was sick of hearing about her. 'She needs the money,' he said, avoiding my stare. 'And I feel sorry for her.'" She also says, "To this day, it confounds me to hear the elaborate details June told of writing that song for Johnny. She didn't write that song any more than I did. The truth is, Johnny wrote that song, while pilled up and drunk, about a certain private female body part. All those years of her claiming she wrote it herself, and she probably never knew what the song was really about."

So there you have it. It was about June Carter's word removed. 

Edited by mjmooney

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Wikipedia on 'Ring of Fire': 

I would dispute Vivian's version of events, mainly as she had been fairly bitter about June Carter. That said I believe June wrote the song for Anita. But I can never be certain as I am not any of the involved parties. 

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I would dispute Vivian's version of events, mainly as she had been fairly bitter about June Carter. That said I believe June wrote the song for Anita. But I can never be certain as I am not any of the involved parties. 

I think you're probably right. But it was a funny story. 

So many of the songs left me gobsmacked.  Even if there were "reasons" it's still amazing that so many incredibly well known songs were never top 40 hit records. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

So many of the songs left me gobsmacked.  Even if there were "reasons" it's still amazing that so many incredibly well known songs were never top 40 hit records. 

There are lots of well known songs that have never even been singles…

Bowie - Oh You Prtty Things

The B**tles - Here Comes the Sun (and LOTS of others)

Led Zep - Strairway to Heaven

Rolling Stones (and possibly their best song) - Gimme Shelter

Pixies - Where is my mind

The Smiths - (and plenty will tell you this is their best song) - There is a Light That Never Goes Out.

the Doors - L A Woman

Bowie (again) - Ziggy Stardust

Fleetwood Mac - The Chain

Stevie Wonder - Isn’t She Lovely

Carole King - You’ve got a Friend

Lots more besides, and that’s without me going all obscurity. Singles were primarily a loss leader for albums, some artists (Led Zep notoriously) never really cared for them. It used to be a thing that you’d leave some brilliant tracks on albums to encourage people to buy them

• Like 1

I'm racking my brains trying to remember what it was, but there was one particular single in the 70s that got played to death on the radio, and was re-released several times in an attempt to get it into the charts, but despite the fact that everybody was familiar with it, it never sold. 

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm racking my brains trying to remember what it was, but there was one particular single in the 70s that got played to death on the radio, and was re-released several times in an attempt to get it into the charts, but despite the fact that everybody was familiar with it, it never sold. 

Wonderful Tonight perhaps?

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

This is why old people think today’s music is poor and their old music was better.

They mis remember a golden weekend when the charts were full of all those iconic tracks. The reality was, whilst The Creation or PP Arnold or Cash weren’t all in that chart, Max Bygraves and Bernard Cribbins probably were.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

This is why old people think today’s music is poor and their old music was better.

They mis remember a golden weekend when the charts were full of all those iconic tracks. The reality was, whilst The Creation or PP Arnold or Cash weren’t all in that chart, Max Bygraves and Bernard Cribbins probably were.

It’s also why albums are infinitely better than singles but I do wish Representatives for Wellingborough would stop referring to what used to be referred to as either an album track or a non-single album track as “deep cuts”… it just says oh look at me, I listened to a whole album, give me a medal or something

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It’s also why albums are infinitely better than singles but I do wish Representatives for Wellingborough would stop referring to what used to be referred to as either an album track or a non-single album track as “deep cuts”… it just says oh look at me, I listened to a whole album, give me a medal or something

When I first became conscious of people using the phrase ‘deep cuts’ I did presume it must have been some previously unheard specially commissioned remix or early demo version.

Very disappointed when I realised, no, it just means it was on the same CD as the one they were famous for.

• Like 1

Â