VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

1 minute ago, bickster said:

That Tammy Wynette song should be ringing in her ears by now :D 

I say it a lot but we have been together for decades and when one of us loves a record, the other knew about it, how the **** she didn't remember Felt is beyond me, I will give her Denim, but Felt. Jesus Christ. 

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

…any news on when the hospital think you can be discharged?

I think a number of us are going through or gone through this and believe me, I know when to keep my mouth shut. I would start a menopause for spouses thread but doubt some posters could handle that. 

• Like 1

Music is the one thing where our Venn diagram of love is at its narrowest. 

Food choices, decorating taste, holiday choices, safe word, we are really very compatible. 

Music taste, she’s shocking, absolutely shocking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I think a number of us are going through or gone through this and believe me, I know when to keep my mouth shut. I would start a menopause for spouses thread but doubt some posters could handle that. 

Damn straight.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Food choices, decorating taste, holiday choices, safe word, we are really very compatible. 

I feel that. My wife likes singers with voices I hate. Absolutely detest as they grate so much. Conversely she is extremely judgemental about the music I like. A lot of it is described as shit country music. She is wrong of course as sometimes it's shit bluegrass, shit western music or shit western swing. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I say it a lot but we have been together for decades and when one of us loves a record, the other knew about it, how the **** she didn't remember Felt is beyond me, I will give her Denim, but Felt. Jesus Christ. 

Cmon everyone of a certain age with an interest in music must know Primitive Painters

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

If my missus had her way we’d listen to Elton John, ABBA and the Pet Shop Boys with a bit of Bowie all the time.

Sounds good to me :blush:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Mrs M and I are pretty much on the same page with popular music (the 65-75 Golden Age). Where we differ is in the jazz and classical genres, where my tastes run more to discordant and hers to easy listening. 

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Mrs M and I are pretty much on the same page with popular music (the 65-75 Golden Age). Where we differ is in the jazz and classical genres, where my tastes run more to discordant and hers to easy listening. 

Yes, in fairness she did introduce me to classical stuff, so only junior level but I wouldn’t be listening to Holst, Handel, Saint Saens or whoever. Been to a few proms and Halle orchestra evenings and the like due to her so credit where credit is due.

She does however have an absolute aversion to anything remotely jazz, if I suggest something might vaguely be labelled as jazz its got no chance.

Dub, motorik, country, techno, punk, she has a spectacularly low tolerance of. 

It’s just music isn’t that big a deal, happy to put radio 2 on whilst doing chores and not really listen to it. Where I would rather turn the music off if the washing machine is on. I’ll listen to it properly later. We would very rarely go to live music together, but we’re both completely comfortable with that, we just do that bit of life differently. Around the house, we have bongos, a drum set, and a couple of cheapo guitars. She sees them as clutter, she was chuffed when the piano went a couple of months ago and we had space for a cupboard! She’s not really a monster, I’m just writing her that way.

A weekend away and I’m working out the music for the car whilst she’s choosing the two different books she’ll be reading simultaneously once we get there. To my knowledge she’s currently on her third book in November. I think I’ve read 2 or 3 all year.

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It's not so much taste it's more that my missus would rather not listen to music, we can be in the car for an hour and she'll turn the radio off because she's had enough music for one day

That to me is insane 

My missus is a big music fan but there’s times she can’t be in the same room if there’s music blaring if her head isn’t with it. 

As for taste she likes what I like and I got her into several bands/artists, but she also likes a wide variety of other stuff. There’s not much she doesn’t like tbf .

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

My missus is a big music fan but there’s times she can’t be in the same room if there’s music blaring if her head isn’t with it. 

As for taste she likes what I like and I got her into several bands/artists, but she also likes a wide variety of other stuff. There’s not much she doesn’t like tbf .

Was it you that got her into this one?

Ny03NjMwLmpwZWc.jpeg

• Haha 2

A couple of interesting albums this week.

The Andre 3000. Loving some of the descriptions being banded on the various genre groups that don't know what New Age music is.

New Age GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Then the Calibre album 'Shelflife 8'.

Do like D&B, but he's not someone I own on anything but comps or DJ sets.

The album is a studio compilation of tracks that he'd only performed live from his career.

Tunes from a particular tour, or events where he thought he should do something special.

I like this concept.

How many times have you been to gigs where something's been played that's never been released?

15 hours ago, Xann said:

How many times have you been to gigs where something's been played that's never been released?

Ian Brown at Manchester vs Cancer, charity gig that other than him was incredible, he played a brand new song, people were not happy, he then **** it up half through and started again, he was close to being booed, he was absolutely dreadful 

From memory the rest of it was weller, noel Gallagher acoustic, charlatans, echo and the bunny men, Ian Brown but then during the night the likes of Peter hook, Bernard butler, Andy rouke, mani all joined in 

Â