Weekends Football 30 April/2 May

andykeenan

I think it's one of those where if he just about gets a touch on the ball and then has his weight following through a straight leg, then I get it, but he's actually managed a scruffy pass with the outside of his foot which has gone to the keeper - a touch on the ball isn't really being fair on him.

4 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

He actually gets the ball with the end of the top of his foot as he overstretches. However during that attempt his toes go up and he ends up studding Vardy.

I mean just sit there and try stretch with your leg and point your toe out then relax it thats the motion.

Hardly malicious. 

I don’t think it was malicious but I do think it’s dangerous. If a challenge ends up with you planting your studs into a players ankle then I’d argue that it is a pretty reckless challenge to be making.

As I say I’d probably have given a yellow for the challenge because I agree it’s not intentional but I don’t see how it’s not a foul.

The fact they’ve given the red for denial of a goal scoring opportunity is ludicrous because as far as I could tell there’s absolutely no way that Vardy is getting to that ball before the keeper.

It's the inconsistency. 

Our pen against Brighton was overturned because March 'got the ball.'

So did Vestergaard, if the denial of the goalscoring opportunity is the reason for the red.

No idea why this ref is a Prem ref anyway. 

• Like 2

I think the difference between this one and the Brighton one is that he hasn't 'got the ball' - he's not making a tackle, he's making a pass - and he's managed to make that pass, albeit in a scruffy way. If his follow through was aimed at Vardy then fair enough, but it's not, he's in front of Vardy who runs onto his leg.

I can see why that’s a red tbh. Studs onto the ankle and then up the leg, he was also last man.

It looks harsh but I think we’d be calling for it if it were on Watkins.

Theres many worse joke decisions or non-fouls given than that.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Southampton doing well at least, other times they go down to 10 men early on they're about 5 down at this point!

Leicester got Newcastle at home next week so really it would be one of the biggest bottlejobs of all time if they don't get top 4, very easy fixture list currently.

There should be a precedent rule set in the PL based on that season.

Each ref from game 1 should watch every controversial call so that when  something like our Brighton game happened in week 3 and a similar accordance happened 5 weeks later in a different match, the ref should be able to recall that decision and make a similar ruling. 

Of course, if a wrong decision has been made, the next time a similar thing happens the ref should revise the decision accordingly and set it right for future matches.

It's easy enough for us fans to remember "tough" calls so the ref should be able to revise and remember these.

But I can guarantee people like *Mike Dean don't give a shit about Palace Vs West Brom fouls.

Edited by Mic09

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think the fact that we are debating the decision and some think its wrong some right  proves it wasn't a clear and obvious error that VAR would overturn 

I think that's fair enough comment. Form the refs point of view you can say that Vardy has gone past him and might get to the ball before the keeper, so Vestergaard catching him from behind would then be a 'last man' foul. 

47 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's the inconsistency. 

Our pen against Brighton was overturned because March 'got the ball.'

So did Vestergaard, if the denial of the goalscoring opportunity is the reason for the red.

No idea why this ref is a Prem ref anyway. 

Yeah. If there was a clear precedent of follow throughs being counted as fouls then fair enough. He did catch him with the studs on the ankle, after he won the ball though. When March grazed the ball, almost by accident, it was enough to rule no penalty despite catching Trezeguet flush on the shin, much more firmly than he caught the ball mind you.

Here Vestegaard makes a clear connection with the ball first and controls it back to the keeper. Where is the consistency? If the March incident is not a penalty then neither is this surely. And if this is a penalty then surely March's should have been too? They just make it up as they go along.

I remember the same weekend as the March one there was a similar incident for West Brom that got overturned at Old Trafford. 

I thought that the saying was if you get the ball then that's what matters, but i remember maybe 5 or 6 different situations where the calls were all inconsistent with what we expect.   

Â