Breakaway League

Jareth

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don't think so. Burnley played in Europe recently. It takes away them ever doing so again. The Palace chairman was on the telly last night and came across as very much against it, and very much like the fan who had got rich and then become Chairman - essentially a fan of a club who knew they might be back in the EFL anytime and the prospect of open competition and promotions and relegations and sporting integrity is part of why he's involved.

And even if I'm wrong on all that - they'll be furious, because they've been as stabbed in the back by the 6 as Everton or Villa or any other club.

And thankfully you're not wrong, I'm delighted that the Premier League statement talks about them being unanimous and that it contains a veiled threat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

It says they can’t enter an outside competition but have they actually done that yet? The competition doesn’t exist yet, there are no firm details, the teams haven’t been decided and there is not a start date.

They have signed a letter of intent to create a new league in the future but I think they could successfully argue they haven’t broken any Premier League rules yet. 

They have announced their intention. The PL will retaliate eventually by announcing their intentions should that happen.

If this was criminal, conspiring and planning would also be crime

The invited five teams will be interesting - it'll be all risk for them.

UEFA might end up backing down to the twelve, they're insulated and have their pockets protected through permanent guaranteed income, but as an invited team, you're a tourist, you have to come back, UEFA and the leagues will threaten the bejesus out of those teams and I doubt very much that the twelve will have their backs on it.

If it's played right, then I'd hope that the Super League sees a lot of "No thank you's" from teams fearing they'll suffer a huge punishment for their one year plate of crumbs.

• Like 1

Okay so, hypothetical scenario.

This whole ESL thing doesn't go ahead, and the PL, UEFA and FIFA decide to hold off on any form of punishment for these "break away" teams until the Summer so the current football season can be finished and players can prepare for the Euros.

If you were the powers that be, what type of punishment would you hand to these clubs? 

Someone on BBC text just said something I meant to say yesterday.

Some have made comparisons to the formation of the PL which was a rebellion.

But the difference is massive.  The PL did not arbitrarily pick who was going to be in it and the was no barrier to joining beyond sporting merit and there was no safety net for anyone.  It's a world apart from what's being proposed there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

This whole ESL thing doesn't go ahead, and the PL, UEFA and FIFA decide to hold off on any form of punishment for these "break away" teams until the Summer so the current football season can be finished and players can prepare for the Euros.

If you were the powers that be, what type of punishment would you hand to these clubs? 

Points deductions and 3 year ban from European competitions 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

3 year transfer embargo, expulsion for same 3 year period from European and domestic cup competitions, and each given 30 points deduction for next 3 seasons.

• Like 1

25 years ago in wrestling WCW owned by Ted Turner brought in a lot of established big name wrestlers like Hulk Hogan for big money and WWF were looking like going to the wall

5 years later WCW went out of business, never brought back again and the big names had to come crawling back to WWF who are still in business today. 

I can see very similar happening with this 

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I wouldn't punish the clubs, I'd punish the individuals - life bans from football activities for the CEO's at each club - so the likes of Woodward and Levy are never allowed to work in football again, and similar punishments for the owners, restricting what they can and can't do in terms of how they relate to their football clubs or banning them from football activities altogether and forcing them into a position where they'd need to sell.

Don't hurt the fans, don't hurt the players, this isn't on them.

Fit and proper persons rules?

Â