Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Just now, duke313 said:

3 at the back would help with the full backs going forward, the left and right sided defenders can help cover those positions.  The middle defender can be a sort of hybrid role with Chambers comfortable in defense and DM

We won't go with 3 at the back at all. It would be a massive departure from the current formation. We already know the players hate it too. 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

3 at the back would help with the full backs going forward, the left and right sided defenders can help cover those positions.  The middle defender can be a sort of hybrid role with Chambers comfortable in defense and DM

In theory, one drops off to help the full back, leaving 2 holding and the same on the other flank.....as you say, one staying in the middle.

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

The main problem, lies in Midfield....and we can dress it up as much as we like, but that's where it lies.

Do agree with you no one in there to do the dirty work , but some of our lapses in the back 4 is school boy stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well to be more direct we need wide forwards to run the channels. When we play with two narrow 10s we need to work the ball to them from CBs and midfield. It's that part which we cannot execute due to the personnel we have at present. 

I do think there is a case to be made for Gerrard to accept what he's got and revert to a 4 2 3 1 and have Cash a bit more reserved but allow Digne to get forward more. This means Coutinho to cut in off the left more often but Buendia/Bailey giving us some width on the right. That is a pragmatic solution for the present

I'd probably do this. Maybe even play Coutinho as a 10. 

1 minute ago, MellbergsBeard said:

If we are seriously going to have a massive rebuild in the summer the recruitment team need to loose there jobs. 

Well no, the midfielders we have got at present we signed either in Championship (McGinn) or just after promotion (Luiz/Nakamba). This summer they'll have been here for 3+ seasons each. So moving on from that lower mid table Prem level player is normal for our current cycle. 

2 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

If we are seriously going to have a massive rebuild in the summer the recruitment team need to loose there jobs. 

I'm not sure what to think of that.....I don't know enough of what or who is involved with.

However, I do worry about how difficult, we have found it to secure some defensive minded midfielders.

Maybe, availability, is much harder, than us mere mortals think.

Just now, CVByrne said:

Well no, the midfielders we have got at present we signed either in Championship (McGinn) or just after promotion (Luiz/Nakamba). This summer they'll have been here for 3+ seasons each. So moving on from that lower mid table Prem level player is normal for our current cycle. 

We’re lucky Ramsey has improved at the rate he has otherwise it would look horrific in there. 

5 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

I have no faith in a massive rebuild

Sure the plan was that the new manager would just adapt from the previous regime and not rip everything up 🙄

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd probably do this. Maybe even play Coutinho as a 10. 

I was thinking similar, but Coutinho on left, Buendia centrally and Bailey on right. Coutinho given freedom to come in off the left centrally and Digne giving the width. Buendia workrate off the ball means he'd be needed in the central role. We then choose 2 players for the midfield. 

3 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Do agree with you no one in there to do the dirty work , but some of our lapses in the back 4 is school boy stuff.

They are, but if they are being constantly exposed....that is inevitable.

Just now, TRO said:

They are, but if they are being constantly exposed....that is inevitable.

Yeah I'd cut the CBs some slack defensively given they have no cover at all from midfield. They're even more exposed as the full backs are under instruction to get forward. 

What the CBs have failed at is building from the back. But again the midfield are failures at progressing the ball too so they're hardly helping the situation. Newcastle blocked the midfield yesterday, just put bodies in there and it was so congested. The - successful - aim was stop the ball getting to Coutinho/Buendia and force us to play through the wide areas. 

12 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

I can see Chambers in front of the back 4 against Watford with konsa coming back in.

Midfield of doug and sansom 

Emi Phil 

Ings up front

a mix of going back to having a blocker and slight personel change.

Konsa cant come back in, he is banned (was a 2 match ban, not 1).

24 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Might be worth Gerrard accepting he doesn't have the personnel for the tactics and style he wants to play. He could call time on the formation for now and revert to a 4 2 3 1 to finish out the season. Coutinho Ramsey Buendia behind Ings and have the full backs a little more restrained. We can then mix up building from the back with direct balls into the wide channels. A half way house of evolution between our most successful formation which best covers our weakness in midfield by playing 2 holding players behind an AMC. Then come summer and a full pre season we can get rid of the McGinn, Luiz, Watkins, Mings, Konsa core with a 3/4 new signings that fit the way Gerrard wants to play. 

He really should be looking to get the best out of what he has tbf. I think our players are definitely good enough for where we want to be and we don't actually need to make wholesale changes to the side. A lot of times in football changes are made for the sake of it or due to a lack of patience and I really want us to build something here. 

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We tried but we set up to keep the score down. Liverpool fans say we are one of the worst to visit all season. 

Time wasting from the first half

Is there any wonder though, we're a s*** midtable team making up the numbers.

As has been established on the forum there are four players at best who would make a top six team.

It's futile.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He really should be looking to get the best out of what he has tbf. I think our players are definitely good enough for where we want to be and we don't actually need to make wholesale changes to the side. A lot of times in football changes are made for the sake of it or due to a lack of patience and I really want us to build something here. 

I do agree with the approach that you sign players to fit the system and way you want to play. Klopp / Guardiola have done this with considerable success. Klopp especially so given he's got 4th (could be 5th or 6th even) in terms of financial resources at his disposal. 

For right now though a bit of pragmatism with regards what way to get best out of our players. Which really means mitigation of our biggest weakness the midfield. 

• Like 1

Â