Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Burnley

limpid

Match Polls  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/12/20 at 23:59

Illogical fan logic it may be , but I felt at the time that the 7-2 result against Plop was a waste of a couple of 2-1's, and 3 x 1-0's

Would you rather have a crushing result against the reigning champions or 5 guaranteed victories?  

4 hours ago, astondalston said:

Illogical fan logic it may be , but I felt at the time that the 7-2 result against Plop was a waste of a couple of 2-1's, and 3 x 1-0's

Would you rather have a crushing result against the reigning champions or 5 guaranteed victories?  

Are you kidding me. The 7-2 is one is something we always have of over them! My only regret is we didn’t miss sitters to make it more. 

It’s funny since that game Liverpool fans don’t have too much to say about Villa.

I must know too many Liverpool fans. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

We are one or maybe two players away from being a really good top ten team. Would we have imagined that

this time last season?

We are a really good top ten team.

We’re one or two players away from wing title challengers (this season) or top 4 contenders.

On 17/12/2020 at 22:16, flashingqwerty said:

The players finishing was abysmal today.  Truly shocking.

What Ive learnt from today:

1. Watkins is not good enough for this level

Bless. You wrote so many words after this and yet no one will read past the single stupidest thing I’ve ever read on this site.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are you kidding me. The 7-2 is one is something we always have of over them! My only regret is we didn’t miss sitters to make it more. 

It’s funny since that game Liverpool fans don’t have too much to say about Villa.

I must know too many Liverpool fans. 

I know, I know, but the thoughts return after every unfulfilled performance.... I'm workin through it, and its my cross to bear... don't try and apply normal logic  to this.

14 hours ago, mjmooney said:

You have to ask the question: why was it that time, after time, after time, it was El Ghazi - a winger - who found himself in front of goal with a scoring chance? Surely that's where the striker -  Watkins - should have been, with AEG and Traore providing the supply? There's a tactical issue there. 

That was the thing, every time after he shot  I thought maybe there would have been a better option, but each time when I saw the replay I realised it was his best option as no one else was in space.

On 18/12/2020 at 11:45, darrenm said:

I think it actually works pretty much how it's supposed to. The problem is we need El Ghazi or whoever's playing on the wing to be able to shoot properly.

Watkins comes deep a lot of the time and he's really good at it. He's strong, great quick feet and holds it up while others overlap. When defending, he's the furthest forward therefore will always be the link to the counter attack. He holds up while others sprint past and work a shooting opportunity. In those situations the wingers (or wide mid forwards) will always be the ones coming inside to get on the end of something. 

El Ghazi can shoot....Jack said he's the best in the club.....its composure he lacks.....and his decision making could be better.

20 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The other 14 has done a list of players who won the most headers after this round of games 

Hause was top with 9 mings was 2nd with 8

Hauses head is a ball magnet 

He is the best we have in the air.....I think he should be used more tactically.

Not as good on the floor, but not as bad a some make out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

He is the best we have in the air.....I think he should be used more tactically.

Not as good on the floor, but not as bad a some make out.

Agree

As a 4th choice CB mainly going to be used in the cups he's perfectly fine

For what we paid for him in the championship I'm not sure what people expect of him, he's been a decent signing in context, if anything it'll be Engels we replace 

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Agree

As a 4th choice CB mainly going to be used in the cups he's perfectly fine

For what we paid for him in the championship I'm not sure what people expect of him, he's been a decent signing in context, if anything it'll be Engels we replace 

He is a big strong unit....something we are not exactly blessed with....He could be used more Imo.

He has got an error in him, but so has Mings......He just needs games to enhance his confidence, to be a better player.

a team that moves the ball around quickly, will unsettle him......but a team like Burnley, he is ideal.

Not saying he is nailed on First team material....but he is better than some make out.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, astondalston said:

Thats a tough one.....We did show our capabilty on the night, for sure......but i would sooner have more wins.

However, if only it works like that.

We have proved...when a team wants to play, we can too, because they allow us space......but when we play against runners or physically imposing teams, we falter, somewhat.

We are not as good without the ball as we are with it ( mainly due to Jack), getting better, but still a way to go.

I don't think our first touch or running off the ball is good enough to reach the heady heights of this league, just yet.....I think a few seasons of a couple of quality players, as opposed to quantity, will help us, achieve that....but we need to try and avoid misfits and panic buys....good strategic planning and appriasing.

We are on our way to being a very good side

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

On 17/12/2020 at 23:43, HanoiVillan said:

Excellent post, agree with every word, including that Nakamba was the unsung hero of the evening.

much better, from Nakamba, I agree.

19 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Bless. You wrote so many words after this and yet no one will read past the single stupidest thing I’ve ever read on this site.

You must've missed the "he's worse than dogshit, because..." and other high water mark garbage in the Match Thread, where the single stupidest thing on the site kept being superseded over and over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

You must've missed the "he's worse than dogshit, because..." and other high water mark garbage in the Match Thread, where the single stupidest thing on the site kept being superseded over and over.

I can’t keep up with the match threads and watch the match!

Â