Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Stoke

limpid

Match Polls  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/10/20 at 11:00

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Despite the team that was put out.....how many of us thought this was a formality/ a given.......most of us I would wager....but they never are, maybe they wanted it more than us.

i didn't see the game, so I can't comment on specifics, but I have a good imagination reading the views.....and i am also aware of the varied opinions, on who was to blame,despite the conclusions that it was rubbish.

it seems we got what we deserved, nowt.

No formality no way, O'Neil knows how to organise a team. Ours didn't manage to be a team at all. Looking at Smith's face I wouldn't say they were exactly playing as he put them out to do either. Looked like a bunch of individuals not managing to play well enough to save their villa careers for the most part.

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'd like to blame the poor pool of players. But the fact that Stoke made 9 changes, playing pretty much their second string makes this even worse.

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Despite the team that was put out.....how many of us thought this was a formality/ a given.......most of us I would wager....but they never are, maybe they wanted it more than us.

i didn't see the game, so I can't comment on specifics, but I have a good imagination reading the views.....and i am also aware of the varied opinions, on who was to blame,despite the conclusions that it was rubbish.

it seems we got what we deserved, nowt.

I didn't see the game either, so like you can't really comment on specifics.

However, the wanting it more than us comment may have some credence. Given that many of those that played will not be getting first team football and indeed may well be shipped out of the club, there's a question of motivation. I can imagine that a lot of them know they are not wanted and have no chance of being involved in the first team no matter what they did last night. As opposed to the Stoke players who will have been all out to impress to have a chance to break into the first team.

It's a workplace and it's the same as anywhere. If you know you are not wanted or liked you will hardly bust a gut for the boss.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Thanks, why then?

because, in my opinion, he was our best player. generally how man of the match works.

edit...sorry for being snarky...didn't do anything wrong in my opinion. no wasn't amazing I but was infuriated with so many performances last night and seemed to spend most of the 1st half in their half, which has been many people's main criticism

Edited by tomav84

11 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Your hatred of him is embarrassing.

I don't hate Guilbert. I'm rather indifferent on him.

But rating him 9 out of 10 for last night is ridiculous imo.

He was ok. I wouldn't be rushing to get him into the first XI based on that.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He was good for about 20 minutes and then disappeared. Not literally. I could see him. But he didn't do anything

Watching a full game of him, does he shown signs of being better than Trez or El Ghazi?

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

I didn't see the game either, so like you can't really comment on specifics.

However, the wanting it more than us comment may have some credence. Given that many of those that played will not be getting first team football and indeed may well be shipped out of the club, there's a question of motivation. I can imagine that a lot of them know they are not wanted and have no chance of being involved in the first team no matter what they did last night. As opposed to the Stoke players who will have been all out to impress to have a chance to break into the first team.

It's a workplace and it's the same as anywhere. If you know you are not wanted or liked you will hardly bust a gut for the boss.

Just a thought.

I think you are bang on.....but it comes down to Character......I suspect most of them have thrown the towel in, as you touched on......but I can think of some players of the past, who would just simply fight there way back. I accept that some are just not good enough technically and have been surviving off the backs of those that are.....but when Dean says " its just like a friendly" it basically spells out that there is little fight in this second string.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

No formality no way, O'Neil knows how to organise a team. Ours didn't manage to be a team at all. Looking at Smith's face I wouldn't say they were exactly playing as he put them out to do either. Looked like a bunch of individuals not managing to play well enough to save their villa careers for the most part.

I don't doubt your words.....but how many times have we seen this before, when up against organised sides.....I have to be careful, because I didn't see the match, but to some degree, I don't have to, I have seen it all before, we assembled too many with a losing mentality, No fight,no creativity, no desire to prove the boss wrong.

I think dean was right.....No application......and it ended up with the approach of  a friendly.......what an indictment, considering how the first team has started, bunch of losers.

37 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Watching a full game of him, does he shown signs of being better than Trez or El Ghazi?

Again he did for the first 20 minutes but not really after that.

Trez is dog shit so I'd still happily see Traore starting on Sunday

I think perhaps in questioning the quality of the team we put out, we're letting them off the hook a little bit. Yes, this isn't a team that has the same quality as some of the players in our best eleven, but it's a team that's capable of a lot, lot more than they did last night. It wasn't that they were an eleven that were picked that weren't good enough, it's that almost to a man they let themselves down. 

If this team plays well, we win that game.

I watched the game, here’s my thoughts on individual performances:

Steer - 6.5 (did nothing wrong all night, not much he could do with the goal and made a good save or two)

Guilbert - 5 (disappointing, offered little going forward and kept jumping into tackles too early)

Elmo - 6 (composed on the ball, played some nice passes out to the wings, got bullied in the air though big time)

Hause - 5.5 (passing was terrible at times and he looks so slow, think he may be better off as an R&B artist)

Taylor - 6.5 (by his own standards I actually thought Taylor had a decent game, didn’t do too much wrong and got near the opposition penalty box once in the first half)

Nakamba - 5.5 (like Hause he’s just so slow and again his passing is crab like, nothing goes forward)

Ramsey - 6.5 (started really well and was dictating our play at times, faded as the game went on)

Lansbury - 4 (awful, passing was largely woeful, to call him slow is offensive to other slow players and he missed a glorious chance to score)

Traore - 3 (non existent, on the rare occasions he had the ball did very little with it)

El Ghazi - 4 (if you judged this game on stats you’d think he had a good game, he didn’t. Wasteful and selfish again and I thought his body language was wrong even before kick off)

Davis - 4 (probably one of the worst performances he’s put in sadly, first touch was poor and again missed a great chance to score)

Watkins came on and looked lively, unlucky not to score (6), Konsa looked solid when he came on (6.5) and Jota looked lovely but added no end product (5.5).

Them be my thoughts anyway.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This result doesn't bother me too much considering the quality left in the QF and the fixture congestion this year.

What it does make me do is absolutely count my blessings that we scraped by and stayed up, as more or less this if what we'd be looking at week in week out if we went down.

Maybe not all of them would have left in the summer window but Grealish, Mings, McGinn you could be sure of, only Trez and Targett missing from last nights a game I could see sticking with us in the championship.

Silver linings because thankfully the truth couldn't be further from that now!

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think perhaps in questioning the quality of the team we put out, we're letting them off the hook a little bit. Yes, this isn't a team that has the same quality as some of the players in our best eleven, but it's a team that's capable of a lot, lot more than they did last night. It wasn't that they were an eleven that were picked that weren't good enough, it's that almost to a man they let themselves down. 

If this team plays well, we win that game.

Yep, I think you're right man for man in terms of quality they should have done a lot better. First half they were really clueless, slow, couldn't find space, went down blind alleys, didn't help each other out... Second half much better in terms of creating chances but still no team performance in there. When AEG had his purple patch it was like he'd though "well **** you lot, I'll do it on my own" which isn't really a great thing in terms of the group and how it was performing. I think it weighed on a lot of their minds that this was a last look at a few before the window closes to sort out the priorities for cover if we are to sign one or two more. That isn't a great sign for some of their mentalies either. 

If there is a silver lining to it, it is now Dean has some more weight behind his arguments when he asks for one or two more players.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I get it, you hate him.

He lost the ball loads. At least he was picking it up and running at players. The wasteful shooting was very frustrating, but no one else in the team looked like trying to grab the game. He is one of the few that tried anything at all. Also could easily have had an assist with the Davis chance, which should have been a shot on target as a minimum.

He was shit. Just not as shit as most of the others.

I hate him ? See how many posts I've ever written criticising him. Probably less than 5 ever.

The people I gave any half decent ratings for were the players who actually bothered and looked like they wanted the shirt.

First half traore played for the team, 2nd half he literally went walk about.

I'm surprised at some of the negativity towards our youngest player last night, he was our only midfielder driving us with the ball. 

The scores were relative to last nights game, I would say as a team player who looked like he was bothered and wanted the shirt , the ones I gave a 9 to were 9 times better last night than someone I gave a 1 to.

Â