Manchester United

messi11

Much improved second half 😃 Grealish was to quiet in the first, hard to say if he was quiet because we were struggling, or the other way around. Second half i think Villa was the strongest team, for a change. We tended to struggle quite a bit the second half when we were 1 goal up in the season that was

Watkins missed a decent chance to make it 2-0 first half but manure looked lightweight upfront if they had Watkins it could have been them ahead, our defense was very good, Cash grew into the game as it went on. Useful game for getting match sharpness but little else can be drawn from the game. Some heavy challenges on Jack though, Smith has to raise the profile of Jack being kicked around before it leads to injuries. Maybe a video compelation of all the fouls from last season would help. 

21 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

after watching those highlights, i think we were massively flattered by 1-0.

we could have lost that 1-8 easy.

Against a B team.

It would amaze me if this season was not another relegation battle.

Quite disappointed by the first glimpses of Matty Cash. He seem to struggle defensively. Look to be in the same mold of Targett.

Then again it's just a friendly. Can't wait for the SU game.

Edited by villalad21

Really fun to finally get to see a pre season game. It more or less confirmed what we already knew about the team.

Man U were much better in the first half, we were lucky not to be a couple of goals down. Partly it was down to our weak right hand side, but also just a reminder of where we are as a team. As I have been saying the whole summer we desperately need at least two more top quality players going into the first team to be able to compete with the top teams. We need to be able to keep the ball better. Hourihane is not good enough against the top teams, he puts a shift in, but he gets overrun, and in possession he is too slow on the ball and too left footet, meaning he doesn't contribute enough. We need either that Jack takes his position, or we need to bring in another left sided MF who can keep the ball and can compete properly against the top teams. So either jack drops down to MF and we bring in two new wide forwards, or we bring in a new MF and a new wide forward. The new wide forward must be a player who can keep the ball and can compete against the top teams, we should not go for another willing runner as Trezeguet, but someone who can contribute in possession. If Jack drops down the other wide forward can be more of a direct runner.

In the second half we were the better team, but Man U also changed a lot of players and put on some youngsters I'd never heard of.

Watkins looked class and every player he has been described as, competed well against a good Man U defence.

Cash on the other hand has a long way to go to adapt to the PL by this performance. Sad to say but it left very much to wish for. Elmo needs to start until he gets up to pace.

Jota I dont understand why we play, he is obviously not of PL quality. Samatta can compete and get into good positions at times, but still needs to do more to convince that he is good enough.

The others were more or less as expected, Mings and Konsa very good in defence, Targett solid and kept Man U at bay and a threat going forward at times. Luiz and McGinn good and solid, Jack showing his class, Trezeguet full of running and did what he does, pops up with a good action that leads to a goal otherwise quiet.

So all in all, desperately need two more top quality players who kan compete against the top teams, otherwise we will be in for a seaon like the last one, and when we get injuries or suspensions/loss of form, we are a relegation zone team as we have no depth what so ever. 

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

after watching those highlights, i think we were massively flattered by 1-0.

we could have lost that 1-8 easy.

I think those are Man United created highlights.  @TheAuthority did a match report which said we were much better in the second half, yet those highlights show very little of the second half. 

• Thanks 1

Â