U23 Development League 2020/2021

BOF

Stats updated.

Our oldest starting 11 of the season (20.10 y/o) lose at home to bottom side Fulham. That's about as damning an opening line as you can write. A Barry brace puts him top scorer with 5 ahead of JPB on 4. We now have a 2 week break before a trip to 3rd placed Leeds United who are unbeaten at home with 13pts from a possible 15.

On 28/11/2020 at 18:41, mikeyp102 said:

From those highlights we create so many chances just can’t take them. SecretScout put Barry’s second up from the opposite camera angle. His movement to get back onside, pull away from his marker and then accelerate through is very good.

You look at those highlights and you think about the first team, noticeably Trez against Brighton, and it makes me think that we aren't coaching finishing well enough. Some of teams we've played this season, especially Southampton, were absolutely clinical when they got a chance - you wouldn't say that about us, despite scoring quite a few goals this season. 

I really like the look of the Chukwuemeka, Bogarde, Ramsey midfield,  a 16 year old and two 17 year olds - they look very capable. I think we could do well in the youth cup, a lot of our U23's will hopefully play in it this season.

As a team we're a bit shaky at the back, but in terms of individual talent, this is as good a group as we've had since the Bannan, Albrighton, Hogg, etc days - and that was getting on for ten yeas ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

We now have a 2 week break before a trip to 3rd placed Leeds United who are unbeaten at home with 13pts from a possible 15.

That one will be particularly difficult as we're away at Reading on the 11th in the FA Youth Cup - I'd really hope that five or six of the team that played in our last U23 game will play in that one and I'd hope all three of the central midfield and Barry take part - we could end up taking a second string U23 side to Leeds.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

The defence seems to be noticeably lower quality than the rest of the team. I’m very excited by that midfield trio though. 

Bridge and Revan (sr) are considerably older than the rest of the team. I imagine they're only still playing due to lack of options and/or any talented youth CBs not being ready physically to step up.

I guess it's easier said than done, but I don't know why they have stayed at the club to play in the U23s rather than move on. Maybe there is a feeling they will develop more in the long run training at a top flight club rather than dropping straight down the divisions.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

One theory might be that physicality is generally more important in a defender than in an attacker, and at that age you haven't developed physically yet (but can still be a bag of tricks as an attacker). We do have Sil Swinkels as the next generation of defender but he's only 16, and Aaron O'Reilly, but again they might not be ready to go up against specimens that are a lot older and bigger than they are.

• Like 1

We've got Myles Sohna who I'm guessing we would have been expecting to make the step up from the U18s to the U23s this season but he's only just recovered from injury, was on the bench against Fulham. He's a left sided  centreback so him returning might allow Bridge to go out on loan in January.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

We've got Myles Sohna who I'm guessing we would have been expecting to make the step up from the U18s to the U23s this season but he's only just recovered from injury, was on the bench against Fulham. He's a left sided  centreback so him returning might allow Bridge to go out on loan in January.

And Kaine Kesler-Hayden is one of the more highly rated players in the team, so it's not all bad at the back.

West Brom and Wolves won their early games to move into 4th & 5th respectively.  Villa drop to 7th. West Brom's game in hand now could put them top.  Stoke play Palace at 6 and if Palace win they go joint top with 3 other teams.

A big win for Fulham 5-2 at home to Palace. That 6pts within a week puts them right in amongst the peloton chasing the leaders now. Carvalho and Tiehi, having put pay to Villa, continue their form with a hatrick and a brace respectively.

Burnley's 1-0 win away to Stoke lifts them off the bottom.  The league is now stupidly congested with only 2 wins separating top of the league Middlesbrough from bottom of the league Newcastle United. There are no whipping boys this season nor is there a stand-out side. But also it means we're as likely to finish bottom as top.

• Like 2

Will be interesting to see the line up tomorrow after a lot of the regulars played for the U18s last night in the FA Youth Cup. Either some of them will play twice in the space of a few days, or we might be seeing a few more U18s making their debut.