Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I think Unai knows Watkins needs to feel confident to play well, he showed his faith in him by getting rid of Ings and I think hes played him alot in pre season hoping hed get goals and then hit the ground running.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pinebro said:

If he isn't scoring or assisting every single game he is the worst striker ever and needs to be sold to make room for this imaginary 35 goal a season striker.

Yeah man, that's all he's lacking! 🙄

When picking my FPL team I noticed that Watkins actually got 9 assists in his first season and 8 last season too which surprised me a little. That's impressive for a CF and emphasises how valuable he is even when he's not scoring. That took his goal contributions for both of those seasons to 23 which I think is worth remembering when there's clamour for a 20 goal striker. If said striker scored 20 but got no assists (not to mention hold up play, pressing etc) we could actually be less effective as a team.

Edited by villan95
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I wonder if he's holding out on signing a new contract to see what we do in the window. Bring in a big name forward and he probably doesn't sign.

He hasn’t signed a new contract yet because these things take time. No other reason.

51 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get why you can’t accept he’s a top player just becomes he hasn’t got the first touch of Betrand Traore.

I don't think he's a top player, so why on earth would I 'accept' something I don't believe?

He's a good player, who has a few glaring limitations (in my opinion). My reply was to someone who was basically saying you can't criticise Ollie, and his only downside is that he doesn't notch something up every game. It's overly defensive against people who don't think he can take us where we'd ideally like to be. We're allowed to discuss a player's strengths and weaknesses.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I don't think he's a top player, so why on earth would I 'accept' something I don't believe?

He's a good player, who has a few glaring limitations (in my opinion). My reply was to someone who was basically saying you can't criticise Ollie, and his only downside is that he doesn't notch something up every game. It's overly defensive against people who don't think he can take us where we'd ideally like to be. We're allowed to discuss a player's strengths and weaknesses.

Yet you think Traore is a top player. Strange but each to their own I guess.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yet you think Traore is a top player. Strange but each to their own I guess.

I don't mate. Stop oversimplifying things.

I think Traore is a very technically gifted, exciting player to watch. I even said in another thread that he blew his start VS Wolves and I could see why Emery doesn't trust him.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom13 said:

I don't mate. Stop oversimplifying things.

I think Traore is a very technically gifted, exciting player to watch. I even said in another thread that he blew his start VS Wolves and I could see why Emery doesn't trust him.

Fair enough. You don’t rate Watkins as a top player which is fine. Hopefully he scores 20+ and continues to prove those that don’t rate him highly wrong. We’ll all be happy then. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough. You don’t rate Watkins as a top player which is fine. Hopefully he scores 20+ and continues to prove those that don’t rate him highly wrong. We’ll all be happy then. 

100%. UTV!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He hasn’t signed a new contract yet because these things take time. No other reason.

He hadn't signed a contract yet because the terms aren't favourable enough for him. No other reason

The club is trying to get him to sign a new contract. If they do sign a replacement/strong competitor it may make their negotiation harder. 

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

He hadn't signed a contract yet because the terms aren't favourable enough for him. No other reason

The club is trying to get him to sign a new contract. If they do sign a replacement/strong competitor it may make their negotiation harder. 

Don't think that's how Premier League players think. If you've got to this level of the game you back yourself all the way.

That's why players like Scott Sinclair and more recently Kalvin Phillips join Man City, they think they'll actually be able to prove in training they deserve to be part of the team. 

Don't think it'll be easy to come across a player that's said "I ran down my contract and left because the club I was at signed someone better than me and I wasn't playing anymore" or "I signed for this team even though I had interest from bigger clubs because I wanted to play games"

Â