Academy General Topic

smetrov

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

@OutByEaster? Try this. Not really posted a link before so may not work!!

Thank you - it's probably a good demonstration of some of the problems with our official site that they put up an article telling people the fixtures, but then didn't update the part of their own site where those fixtures are kept.

This was the team, Noel phoned me this morning: 

Kieran Boucher (gk) I've seen quite a few times now and he always impresses me, he commands his area well and is a good shot shopper, I think he's a second year scholar- 8

Charlie McConachie (rb)- This was the first time I had seen him and he was excellent I thought, he defends very well and also got forward when the opportunity arose, I think he's a first year scholar- 8

Ethan Patterson (cb)- I saw him play for the youth team last season once, he looks an excellent centre back, he's dominant in the air but is also composed on the ball, he's a first year scholar I think- 8

Dominic Revan (cb)- This lad always impresses me, he's great in the air and has good awareness and leadership qualities, watch out for him, he's a first year scholar. He played a lot for the U18s last season as an u16- 9

Josh Williams (lb)- He's a very competent left back I think, he's good going forward, he's got a lovely left foot on him. He's a second year scholar for this season- 7

Mason Birch (rw)- He's quite a stocky lad, got good ability on the ball though, not the quickest either but he always puts a shift in, he's a second year scholar- 7

Jack Birch (cm)- This was the first time I had seen him play I think but he impressed me, he's got good ability on the ball, he's quick too and got a good brain, he's a first year scholar- 8

Jake Walker (cm)- He made his debut for our u23s last season as an u16, he's usually a right back, it was the first time I had seen him play in midfield and I was impressed, he's a first year scholar- 8

Jacob Ramsey (lw)- He played quite a lot for the U18s last season as an u16, he's quick and industrious- 7

Ben Guy (st)- It was the first time I had seen him play I think and I was impressed, he's got good feet and can the link the play well- 7

Aaron Pressley (st)- I was looking forward to seeing this lad play, he is ex- Scotland centre back Steven Pressley's son but he ran out of gas after about half an hour and had to be substituted, we signed him from Hearts last season- 5

Michael Tait (st) sub- he looked lively when he got on the pitch, I'll look forward to seeing him again- 6

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent for him.  That's a big step up.  Looking forward to seeing the fans' reactions to him if he does indeed get a game.  They're a front-runner in that league and will be one of the favourites for promotion.  That's good too in a way. It means he won't be bombarded and he'll have the chance to marshall a normal defence rather than one under siege.

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

Excellent for him.  That's a big step up.  Looking forward to seeing the fans' reactions to him if he does indeed get a game.  They're a front-runner in that league and will be one of the favourites for promotion.  That's good too in a way. It means he won't be bombarded and he'll have the chance to marshall a normal defence rather than one under siege.

I think this is the key part of this move. I can't claim to be an expert on the goalkeeping situation at Wigan but I hope we haven't loaned Sarkic out to a team where he won't play games. If we have done, then he'd have been better off playing for our under 23s than going out.

If he does get games then this is an excellent move for him IMO. A title chasing season in League 1 would appear to be a good opportunity for him to develop.

Edited by tom_avfc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I think this is the key part of this move. I can't claim to be an expert on the goalkeeping situation at Wigan but I hope we haven't loaned Sarkic out to a team where he won't play games. If we have done, then he'd have been better off playing for our under 23s than going out.

If he does get games then I think this is an excellent move for him IMO. A title chasing season in League 1 would appear to be a good chance for him to develop.

It seems their current number 1 is a 21 year old on loan from Brighton, Christian Walton.  So they're not blessed with established experience of their own in that position.

Last season they were relegated with a combination of Adam Bogdan (17apps),  Matt Gilks (13/1),  Jakob Haugaard (8) & Jussi Jaaskelainen (8,1) in goal.  So yeah, you could say they're all over the place there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

It seems their current number 1 is a 21 year old on loan from Brighton, Christian Walton.  So they're not blessed with established experience of their own in that position.

Last season they were relegated with a combination of Adam Bogdan (17apps),  Matt Gilks (13/1),  Jakob Haugaard (8) & Jussi Jaaskelainen (8,1) in goal.  So yeah, you could say they're all over the place there.

From a quick Google it looks like that Walton played close to 30 games for Luton last year so is more experienced than Sarkic.

Actually from a further Google it looks like he's picked up an ankle injury so Sarkic has probably been brought in to play until he's back fit. That's probably why he's only there for 6 months so hopefully he'll get some decent game time.

Â